Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Andorra, Tue 7 September 2010 [RTE2: 7pm, KO: 7.45pm]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'll take a 2-0 or 3-0 and a Russia v Slovakia draw. Best thing for us IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

No changes to side from the game on friday.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

Just got a text saying Trap has named the same side which beat Armenia for tomorrows game. Surprise surprise. Can't really argue I suppose while he's getting the results but would of liked to see Cunningham, Gibson or Fahey start. The likes of Kilbane and Green are going to be under pressure when we ciome up against better opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Unchanged side as was expected. I expect a 3-0 win, would not be surprised if it was 0-0 at half time but we should capitalise on their inexperience and tiredness in the latter half of the match

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Once again I think people are being too optimistic, won't win by more than 2 at the most imo

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Best case scenario for Ireland: 2-0 against Andorra AND Russia vs. Slovakia ends in a draw. Here's hoping....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

gavredking wrote: »
    I'll take a 2-0 or 3-0 and a Russia v Slovakia draw. Best thing for us IMO.

that would be a great result!
    the hole object of these 2 games has all ways been 6 points meaning were not chasing results against the big boys away in future games.

This group will boil down to winning the home games and avoiding defeat away and getting the maximum points against Andora\Armenia

Come On You Boys In Green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Anyone know of there's many tickets sold for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

woodyg wrote: »
    Andora\Armenia

Don't forget Macedonia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Access question:

First time in the stadium tomorrow. I have a purple ticket, and I've heard a rumour that I need to use Sandymount station no matter what direction I'm coming from. Can I not just get off at Lansdowne Road and walk down to the purple entrance? I'll be coming from the northside and it seem silly to have to go all the way down to Sandymount to go back on myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

keano_afc wrote: »
    Access question:

First time in the stadium tomorrow. I have a purple ticket, and I've heard a rumour that I need to use Sandymount station no matter what direction I'm coming from. Can I not just get off at Lansdowne Road and walk down to the purple entrance? I'll be coming from the northside and it seem silly to have to go all the way down to Sandymount to go back on myself.

Seems like you can get off at Lansdowne Road Station (from http://www.avivastadium.ie/howToGetThere.aspx)
    The easiest way to travel directly to the ground is to take the DART (www.dart.ie), the Dublin urban light rail system. The line actually runs under the West stand of the stadium and stops at Lansdowne Road Station itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

keano_afc wrote: »
    Access question:

Purple had to get off at Sandymount for the rugby match I was at. Didn't get the Dart myself but heard a load of people complaining.

Saying that I can't find anything saying the same is true for football matches, the only info I can find is that entry is via Herbert Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I can see us sweat to a victory, rather than managing to do it in style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Not happy seeing Kilbane & Green playing again. Surely this was the game to give Foley/Kelly/Cunningham a start at full back. Kilbane has been great for us, love the guy for all his years playing every game...but fact sadly is he is a serious liability now. He will cost us big time next month when he is left back as he is obviously going to be as Trap won't even try any else there.
    I just don't get it, its a recipe for disaster next month.

As for Green starting again in mf, don't get that either. He was very poor on Friday, probably isn't up to International level. So we are at home to worst team in Europe and we go in with Whelan and Green 2 defensive midfielders!! wtf???
    Had to be either Gibson who will have a few shots or Fahey who will send good passes thru to strikers in a game like this.

I just can't get Traps way of thinking, and was thinking whether or not to spend 50 quid going tomorrow but this team selection had made up my mind that I won't. 1st Irish home game in years that I will miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I can see us sweat to a victory, rather than managing to do it in style!
    I'll take 1-0 right now. Don't care how we do it once we do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Stevecw wrote: »
    Not happy seeing Kilbane & Green playing again. Surely this was the game to give Foley/Kelly/Cunningham a start at full back. Kilbane has been great for us, love the guy for all his years playing every game...but fact sadly is he is a serious liability now. He will cost us big time next month when he is left back as he is obviously going to be as Trap won't even try any else there.

As for Green starting again in mf, don't get that either. He was very poor on Friday, probably isn't up to International level. So we are at home to worst team in Europe and we go in with Whelan and Green 2 defensive midfielders!! wtf???
    Had to be either Gibson who will have a few shots or Fahey who will send good passes thru to strikers in a game like this.

I just can't get Traps way of thinking, and was thinking whether or not to spend 50 quid going tomorrow but this team selection had made up my mind that I won't. 1st Irish home game in years that I will miss.

+1, i seen they say there are still plenty of tickets for sale and i was half thinking of going until i seen its the same team again, Trap can be stubborn, not changing the team for this game proves it yet again, he admitted after the game that a couple players didn't play great but he's stuck with them even though its a good chance to give a couple other players a chance to impress. 2-0 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Couldn't agree more, he's being way too loyal to Killer. I was hoping we would start this brand new campaign hoying young players like Stephen Ward, Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson and James McCarthy in the deep end but that doesn't seem to have materialised. If we end up getting results I guess no-one can complain.....yet I just can't shake off a feeling of expecting a horrific car crash to happen if we start certain players next month.

Whatever about ZZ Kilbane, McShane's mere presence in the squad boils my piss. Why we started him against Argentina is beyond me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Dunno why Gibson or Cunningham are being mentioned their recent form has been awful. Probably time to bring in Kelly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

It's fairly sad seeing the 1-0, 2-0 predictions on this thread when Andorra, being of the worst teams in europe, at home should simply be a walkover. 5-0 is a less likely result, but with ireland's lack of attack power we may well see a measly victory while our rivals share the spoils. This is me hoping i'm wrong though. I sincerely hope we can stun the likes of...me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Thats exactly how I feel man.. exaclty how I feel. Was at every Trap home game and 75% of Stans home game and now Im feeling that the 50 isnt worth it cause im bit tight atm and can spend 50 on beer and chipper and new shirt or jeans or osmethign lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Couldn't agree more, he's being way too loyal to Killer. I was hoping we would start this brand new campaign hoying young players like Stephen Ward, Seamus Coleman, Marc Wilson and James McCarthy in the deep end but that doesn't seem to have materialised. If we end up getting results I guess no-one can complain.....yet I just can't shake off a feeling of expecting a horrific car crash to happen if we start certain players next month.

Whatever about ZZ Kilbane, McShane's mere presence in the squad boils my piss. Why we started him against Argentina is beyond me!!!

This guy is one who puzzles me. Plays regularly in the Prem at left-back for a Wolves team who have exceeded all expectations yet can't get a sniff at the Irish team...logic appearing to be that he is a converted striker/winger and is still only learning the position.

Now Trap does not appear to have a problem playing Kilbane (a left winger all his career) who can't get into a struggling Hull team in the league below and has absolutely no positional sense or pace left to recover from mistakes (I must point out here I've loved Kilbane over the years and really don't want him to be solely remembered as a dodgy LB).

However, what I really can't understand is Trap even rating Cunningham (also a converted striker I might add) ahead of Ward. This is a guy who I'm sure is promising but he hasn't got any experience at all...not even a loan spell at a Championship side to his name.

Anyone else think Ward at least deserves a chance? Surely he couldn't be any worse an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

O'Shea to LB, play Kevin Foley at RB or play JO'S at RB and Stephen Ward at LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Hi All,

I get my tickets through a club and just want to make sure im not being ripped off (i know it's the FAI after all!).

The Argentina & Andorra qualifiers were sold as a group, i paid €95 for a ticket to both games, seat in the south stand lower.

Its just occured to me that the prices seem wrong! Can anyone shed some light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Well, the cheapest ticket for tonight is €50, so it appears to be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Can't believe Green is starting considering the other players (Gibson/Fahey) we have in that position that can actually do something with the ball. Playing two such negative midfielders against Andorra is mind boggling.

2-1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

tolosenc wrote: »
    Well, the cheapest ticket for tonight is €50, so it appears to be alright.

I have a season ticket and it works out at just under €38.90 per game. I'm happy enough with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cian A wrote: »
    It's fairly sad seeing the 1-0, 2-0 predictions on this thread when Andorra, being of the worst teams in europe, at home should simply be a walkover. 5-0 is a less likely result, but with ireland's lack of attack power we may well see a measly victory while our rivals share the spoils. This is me hoping i'm wrong though. I sincerely hope we can stun the likes of...me:D

Fact is we dont score many goals, even in past teams let alone Traps cautious stint. 5 against San Marino 4 yrs ago is the biggest in recent times. Would love to see an avalanche of goals tonight but just cant see it.

If we won every game in this group 1-0 or 2-0 then how bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I have a season ticket and it works out at just under €38.90 per game. I'm happy enough with that.

Where and how do you get a season ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

just setting off from Limerick now, season ticket in the arse pocket. first competitive game in Lansdowne Road in too long...it's good to be back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

just setting off from Limerick now, season ticket in the arse pocket. first competitive game in Lansdowne Road in too long...it's good to be back :D

Now your only problem is where do you get that Curry mit Pommes rot-weiss. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Would tickets still available for this from the vans outside Lansdowne?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

billyhead wrote: »
    Where and how do you get a season ticket?

I'm a member of the block booking system. I had to pay €350 up front for 9 games but it's worth it for the price per ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Would tickets still available for this from the vans outside Lansdowne?

I'd say so but there were fairly big queues for the Argentina game for tickets. I'd ring Carroll's in Sussex and Westmoreland Street and check do they still have some and think they are open til 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

GymJim wrote: »
    This guy is one who puzzles me. Plays regularly in the Prem at left-back for a Wolves team who have exceeded all expectations yet can't get a sniff at the Irish team...logic appearing to be that he is a converted striker/winger and is still only learning the position.

Now Trap does not appear to have a problem playing Kilbane (a left winger all his career) who can't get into a struggling Hull team in the league below and has absolutely no positional sense or pace left to recover from mistakes (I must point out here I've loved Kilbane over the years and really don't want him to be solely remembered as a dodgy LB).

However, what I really can't understand is Trap even rating Cunningham (also a converted striker I might add) ahead of Ward. This is a guy who I'm sure is promising but he hasn't got any experience at all...not even a loan spell at a Championship side to his name.

Anyone else think Ward at least deserves a chance? Surely he couldn't be any worse an option.

Couldn't agree more. Trap is being too loyal to Kilbane.

It doesn't help that there's a considerable amount of 'good old Kilbane' sentiment in the media. The man is a liability and will cost us if we persist with him. I'd love to see him get some sort of non-playing staff role, or a pundit or something along those lines because the guy is an Ireland legend - not in terms of ability like Given or Keane but when it comes to professionalism and dedication he is an absolute star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Green should not be starting simple as. Darron Gibson would be my preference as he can strike the ball, and doesn't lose it as much as Green. Added to the fact that he plays with the best players in the world, whereas Green plays with a lacklustre nPower Championship side.

My prediction :
    Ireland 2-0 Andorra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

If we get a goal early on and if Keane wants to hit 50 he'll be on his way tonight to getting that.

They've been training ogether for well over a week now they know how they play, It'll be a better game than Fridays so I'm gonna say 6-0.

I'm an optimist what can i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My annual post on soccer:

Thank god no Mcshane. I think we could've been in danger of losing with him on the pitch ... or within 10 miles of the Aviva. :)

We should be giving someone a shot at Kilbane's position. I think there is a decent chance he'll cost us vital points in this campaign.

Green didn't really impress me much, but I don't mind seeing more of him. I also wouldn't mind seeing some of Gibson & Fahey as more game time might be good for them in green.

This should be the easiest match of the campaign. So why not experiement a little if we go a couple up early enough. I realise Trap isn't going to play ball...he's too old anyway.

Keane better score tonight. For our record goalscorer, he's one eejit on the pitch, waving his arms in the air swatting flies. For all the good work Doyle does, we don't see him on the score sheet nearly enough. No harm him getting one tonight as well.

My head says the scoreline will be 2-0 at best. My heart hopes for 3 or 4.

My head says we won't qualify. My heart hopes for a poll position finish after beating Russia at home and drawing away.

Won't be at the match. Would have gone if the FAI had given me my money back for that stadium tour durinh the Argentina yawn fest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I think if Green cannot show even marginal promise tonight against a team like Andorra, then he just has to go the way of Kernaghan, Coyle etc and get resigned to the history books sharpish.

McShane has no place in a football shirt never mind an ireland shirt and as for Kilbane..... well let me just say I worry. I really do, because simply put he is our most capped player and he is a legend. Now if he continues down this road of being Traps folly at left back he will end up turning into a Stan figure where all the good work will get undone due to a ridiculous foray into a role he should never have been considered for.

Ireland 2 nil btw

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

McShane is taking nothing for granted:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0907/republicofireland_andorra.html

He must feel a mistake coming on in the next match. It's kind of like tourettes in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

C'mon Double figures! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I'm gonna go with an unusually unsatisfying 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ireland 5 Andorra 1

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ireland have never scored more than three in a competitive game under trap im not sure about friendlies so i think a three nil will do tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

4-0. Keane 2. Doyle 1. Lawrence free kick 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Slovakia gone 1 up against Russia, Stoch on 27 mins

I think we can win 4/5 nil against these guys, good time in the season our players are hungry hopefully that will mean a few goals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Slovakia gone 1 up against Russia, Stoch on 27 mins

I think we can win 4/5 nil against these guys, good time in the season our players are hungry hopefully that will mean a few goals

They are gonna be a massive test for us I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

+1

the few games I saw of them in the world cup, they looked dangerous and well organised, they are the dark horses, but I still think them taking points of Russia at home would be good for us, a draw even better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

2-0 Ireland. Probably be quite dull and uninspiring but picking up the points is all that really matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Well they are 1 up at half time away against Russia they will be a massive test for us both home and away, was saying about andorra im hopeful of winning by 4 or 5, unlikely though i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭naughto

got 20 to 1 in pp that ireland will win 1-0 and robbie keane to score

• Advertisement
Advertisement