Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland v Andorra, Tue 7 September 2010 [RTE2: 7pm, KO: 7.45pm]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

brady needs to take off the trap glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Trampas wrote: »
    brady needs to take off the trap glasses

I thought they were the pundits that tell it like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

It won't be mentioned because of the result, but that was one of the worst overall performances by a referee I've seen in a long time. No huge mistakes to centre in on, other than the clear as day penalty... but the sheer amount of decisions he got wrong tonight was astounding.

I'd say he got far more wrong than right... that includes throw ins etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not a great performance at all. I worry about our chances against Russia and Slovakia. I can already see the inevitable cliches tomorrow about 'the points are the main thing', 'we play better against the big teams' etc., but I think we will be found out very soon in the near future with these limited players we are going with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why on Earth did CSKA pay 10 mill for the guy

They didnt!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Job done but in the most rubbish, puke-inducing style. I will never buy into Trap's ultra defensive bulls**t. My God once they got the 3rd they settled for it and just tip-tapped it around their own half for the rest of the game. It could have been 7 or 8 if McGeady wasn't there, I officially hate him now. He is the worst player I've ever seen in an Ireland shirt. Please tell me what Trap sees in him?! Green improved but can only see him being steamrolled by better teams. We really miss Duff.
    What annoys me most is Brady right now asking how the performance was defensive.:confused: I hope to dear God goal difference doesn't come into it because if it does this result will bight us square on the b***ocks. 6 points yes, but I'm not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Brewster wrote: »
    I have debated McGeady on the Celtic forum till the cows come home. Some of them still think he is some sort of superstar. When he develops a end product come back to me.

**** end product completes one pass and i be happy.

Hes woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

He is rated by Celtic fans Gimmick. No other set of football fans rate him. He is some sort of 'legend' in their eyes, but in reality hes a decent player, nothing more. Not an international player. How many more chances is he going to get in a green jersey?
    Not all Celtic fans Brewster! As you know I'm a Celtic fan and I was laughing when Celtic got £9.5 million for him,that was way over the odds for him! He showed potential in his early years but he never kicked on and IMO he was very poor his last 2 seasons at Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Should of won by more. Thought Gibson done well he came on, looked calm and composed on the ball.
    Not looking forward to that away game against them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why on Earth did CSKA pay 10 mill for the guy

They didn't.
    He is rated by Celtic fans Gimmick. No other set of football fans rate him. He is some sort of 'legend' in their eyes, but in reality hes a decent player, nothing more. Not an international player. How many more chances is he going to get in a green jersey?

No Celtic fan has rated him a 'legend', you're exaggerating to make a point out of nothing. He was a good player for Celtic, nowhere near legendary, I've made my points on it in previous threads. To single him out is a laughable and shows how petty some people are about the lad. He was our only creative player there tonight, ran at them well and forced them back, created chances and got an assist for himself. He will be an important player in this campaign.

• Advertisement

ROFL

2139: Here's a stat for you. The attendance at Hampden Park is 37,050 - which is bigger than the entire population of Liechtenstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My sister: "I didn't realise Andorra was a country".
    Me: "I'd call them a nation" (:confused:)
    My sister: "What? They're not Asian!".

:pac:

And I think the ref just gave Polverino two yellows... and no red...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Trap says that McGeady had a great game.....that is worrying!

BRILLIANT!! 97th minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Pauleta wrote: »
    The FAI's "official" attendance figures are rather :confused:

What was the official attendence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

The supplementary web programme is forty minutes long. That's a bit long to fill out with measured football talk. Will Giles sing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

7mins of injury time when suppose to be 5 ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

whats this about a webcast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

So is anybody going to watch the webcast with the lads haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CorkMan wrote: »
    whats this about a webcast?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/soccer.html

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It could have been 7 or 8 if McGeady wasn't there, I officially hate him now. He is the worst player I've ever seen in an Ireland shirt. Please tell me what Trap sees in him?!

Okay I'll humour you.

How could it have been 7 or 8 without McGeady? Who was there to create anything from midfield besides him? What a stupid comment to make.

You are saying he is the worst player in an Ireland shirt? Fair enough but it shows up your knowledge of the game.

You hate McGeady? I'm sure he hates you far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Good job! Green did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

anyone getting the webcast?

I thought McGeady played well. No end product to his runs, but I'd prefer him over a lot of other players we have at our disposal.

If you want someone to hate, actually hate... McShane should be back for the next game

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Okay I'll humour you.

How could it have been 7 or 8 without McGeady? Who was there to create anything from midfield besides him? What a stupid comment to make.

You are saying he is the worst player in an Ireland shirt? Fair enough but it shows up your knowledge of the game.

You hate McGeady? I'm sure he hates you far more.
    I'll gladly return the humour.
    It could have been 7 or 8 (<<<---possible exageration) in that Keith Fahey could actually get balls into the box if given the chance. He doesn't just do step overs towards the corner flag and then loses the ball. McGeady got an assist and he had a trick or 2 here and there but how many times did he needlessly run into tackles and lose the ball.
    This is the last chance for this generation of players to qualify and we need to be putting teams like this away with more conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Damn McGeady is getting a lot of stick, i thought he played pretty well tonight, took on players when he got the chance and made Keane's goal, i remember 1 really bad cross but that was it. His performance was a lot better than Green's or Lawrence's, Green was terrible imo, he'll be out of the team for the next 2 games anyways so its not too important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

This is the last chance for this generation of players to qualify and we need to be putting teams like this away with more conviction.

I'm surprised the lads on rte did not seem to bring this up, if it had been another country playing, I am sure they would have brought it up, saying you really need to be beating these sides by more and the result is nothing to get carried away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

It could have been 7 or 8 (<<<---possible exageration) in that Keith Fahey could actually get balls into the box if given the chance. He doesn't just do step overs towards the corner flag and then loses the ball. McGeady got an assist and he had a trick or 2 here and there but how many times did he needlessly run into tackles and lose the ball.

McGeady is the only winger we have who can actually beat his man on a regular basis, and that's what you want from your wingers. Be it Lawerence, Fahey or even Duff, they just dont have the pace to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

mcgeady getting alot of stic, i thought he was 1 of our better players, only 1 who took on and beat plaers..but once again his end product is watefull

• Advertisement

Thanks for returning the humour, I'm laughing right now.

Keith Fahey would put balls into the box? You're telling me Fahey would have threaded in through balls all night to Keane and Doyle? What planet are you on, just because he scored last Friday doesn't make him Xavi Hernandez. When has Fahey ever ran at players on the flank anyway? Daft comparison.

McGeady ran into a few tackles of course but when you are given that much of the ball you are guaranteed to waste some of it, the lad isn't Messi and will make mistakes. The way you are going on you'd swear he should be creating chances all night. Fact of the matter is he did create stuff and at least tried to attack.

Your final point again is nonsense.

It's the last chance alright but what has that got to do with McGeady. It goes back to Trappatoni playing two sitting midfielders against Andorra, maybe if he had put Gibson in the centre or dare I say it, Andy Reid then there would be a little more conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    McGeady is the only winger we have who can actually beat him man on a regular basis, and that's what you want from your wingers.

No, what you want from your wingers is that they get quality ball into the box on a regular basis. You don't necessarily have to beat your man to achieve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

in the webcast interview o'shea just said that lawrence should have gone down for a penalty :eek:

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    McGeady is the only winger we have who can actually beat his man on a regular basis, and that's what you want from your wingers. Be it Lawerence, Fahey or even Duff, they just dont have the pace to do it!
    Yes that's true but you need more than the ability to beat your man. His end product is and always been awful and until that improves I personally can't rate him.
    At the end of the day we have 6 points and we're top. I don't mind 1-0s away to Armenia or battling wins over Russia or whatever. I'd just prefer a bit more style and flair against the evidently weaker teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Gibson kinda blew it tonight. He didn't do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Yes that's true but you need more than the ability to beat your man. His end product is and always been awful and until that improves I personally can't rate him.
    At the end of the day we have 6 points and we're top. I don't mind 1-0s away to Armenia or battling wins over Russia or whatever. I'd just prefer a bit more style and flair against the evidently weaker teams.

Yes but as said thats Traps fault nto McGeadys or anyone elses, you could even see when Gibson came on he linked up with McGeady and made some forward runs to give McGeady more space which he didn't have with Green on the pitch.

As Doyle said we won't remember this game next month, 6 points is the main thing.

This end product stuff is getting out of hand. It's nowhere near "awful" He needs to work on his ball but not as much as most think.

He had the highest amount of assists in the SPL last season. He created a goal tonight and played in some good balls and did so last Friday. Fact of the matter is he is given too much of the ball, Trappatoni nearly put all the creative work on him tonight from midfield. Guarantee you he would look better alongside a more creative midfield.

Also we know you don't rate him, 20 minutes ago you called him the worst player ever to wear the green.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    This end product stuff is getting out of hand. It's nowhere near "awful" He needs to work on his ball but not as much as most think.

He had the highest amount of assists in the SPL last season. He created a goal tonight and played in some good balls and did so last Friday. Fact of the matter is he is given too much of the ball, Trappatoni nearly put all the creative work on him tonight from midfield. Guarantee you he would look better alongside a more creative midfield.

Also we know you don't rate him, 20 minutes ago you called him the worst player ever to wear the green.
    I'll admit that's a bit of an overreaction alright! But seriously how long is Duff out for?

I'll admit that's a bit of an overreaction alright! But seriously how long is Duff out for?

Fair enough :D

Not too sure on Duff, important to have him back asap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

flahavaj wrote: »
    No, what you want from your wingers is that they get quality ball into the box on a regular basis. You don't necessarily have to beat your man to achieve this.

Well, usually you'll have to beat the man to even attempt to get the ball in...

True... Once McGeady get's into the final 3rd, crosses/through balls/whatever are poor enough but if he can get a quality ball in 5/10 times, i'd be relativity happy. At 24, i believe he's only going to get better... and i hope he does because i think he could become a top player for Ireland football in years to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Dean820 wrote: »
    Gibson kinda blew it tonight. He didn't do much.

Hard to get into such a stop-start game in fairness.

Although it's nice Killer scored, the thought of him starting against Russia is frightening. Hope that goal hasn't cemented his place. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

bluefinger wrote: »
    i can't remember why i like football

Brilliant, made me laugh anyways:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought McGeady was a bit similar to Robbie Keane on Friday against Armenia. He was enthusiastic and lively but the sharpness just wasn't there. There were a few occasions when he did briliant to get himself into a great area and then made a hash of the final ball. I would hope that with more game time he would be better for us but I question whether he'll get that in Moscow frankly. He has had these flaws for many years and you would have hoped at the age he is at he would have improved by now. I wonder if he stayed in the SPL too long. Perhaps if he'd gone to the Premiership he would have been able to develop more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I agree with Trap, was really happy with McGeady tonight. 8/10. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I must say there were far more who were very much worse than McGeady tonight and yet the boards.ie experts pick out McGeady for a kicking!

I thought some of the passing from a lot who played for Ireland was appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I thought McGeady was a bit similar to Robbie Keane on Friday against Armenia. He was enthusiastic and lively but the sharpness just wasn't there. There were a few occasions when he did briliant to get himself into a great area and then made a hash of the final ball. I would hope that with more game time he would be better for us but I question whether he'll get that in Moscow frankly. He has had these flaws for many years and you would have hoped at the age he is at he would have improved by now. I wonder if he stayed in the SPL too long. Perhaps if he'd gone to the Premiership he would have been able to develop more.

People havent acknowledged the fact that he hasnt done a proper preseason at Celtic or Spartak, he was only back training with Celtic when Spartak signed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dempsey wrote: »
    People havent acknowledged the fact that he hasnt done a proper preseason at Celtic or Spartak, he was only back training with Celtic when Spartak signed him

How would they know that? they have no interest in an Irish player playing in the SPL or for Spartak. They enjoy a good bandwagon though.

How would they know that? they have no interest in an Irish player playing in the SPL or for Spartak. They enjoy a good bandwagon though.

My thoughts exactly.

I must say there were far more who were very much worse than McGeady tonight and yet the boards.ie experts pick out McGeady for a kicking!

I thought some of the passing from a lot who played for Ireland was appalling
    It wasn't just McGeady tonight but it's just him consistently imo. The whole performance wasn't great. Hopefully by the time Russia come to town the lads will be sharper. If we can beat Russia that'd be HUGE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Anyone else think the ref was rubbish? 2 terrible refs for the first 2 matches. Hopefully decent ones next month...

Advertisement