Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Gooseberries become extinct?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 7:04pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought maybe our gardener friends here would know this.

I used love gooseberries but haven't seen them in years. Are they still around? If I can find some seeds I might start growing my own.

Anyone know where they went?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

dory wrote: »
    I thought maybe our gardener friends here would know this.

I used love gooseberries but haven't seen them in years. Are they still around? If I can find some seeds I might start growing my own.

Anyone know where they went?

Haven't seen any seeds of gooseberries anywhere.

But you should find young plants both grown in pot's and bare rooted in most shops...and if you know of anyone with a nice fruit you should ask for some Hardwood cuttings ...in 2 years you'd have a decent bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

My fruit & veg shop had gooseberries for sale last June/July.
    AFAIK Aldi & Lidl had gooseberry bush plants on sale at some stage earlier this year.
    TBH I have never looked for them in any garden centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

our garden has them, i got a new varitery this year, plum gooseberrys, they are supposed to grow to the size of tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Futureforests.net have them... I planted 20 plants in the spring, 5 different varieties, early to late, red and green.. Got some fruit this year but looking forward to better crops in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

They are in abundance here in Roscommon and grow very will in this climate- you find them in most local garden centres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

they are growing wild in the hedgerows around me..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I must book a holiday to roscommon! Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to look into planting some of these. They might just be my favourite fruit!

Advertisement