Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hippy Cafe, Laragh

• 04-09-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭

People here often talk about the Hippy Cafe in Laragh.

Where exactly is it? Will my bike be safe while I'm inside imbibing in it's fine fare? Finally can anyone recommend any of it's specialities (I'm thinking of something sweet and sticky that'll fill me chock full of calories before I head up Glenmacnass:))?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's the cafe that used to be called Glendalough Fare; it has now changed name to something else that I can't remember. It is top of the triangle in Laragh. Your bike should be fine, one of the advantages is that you can sit outside although I have left my bike outside with me inside (I do generally carry a tiny lock but I am sure I have left it unlocked also.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

People here often talk about the Hippy Cafe in Laragh.

Where exactly is it? Will my bike be safe while I'm inside imbibing in it's fine fare? Finally can anyone recommend any of it's specialities (I'm thinking of something sweet and sticky that'll fill me chock full of calories before I head up Glenmacnass:))?

I think it's Glendalough Fayre, now known as Glendalough Green.

[Edit: The map may not be exactly right]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was there twice today in the mist and rain, it's right at the bottom of the road coming down from Glenmacnass where it intersects with Laragh. Bike should be fine outside, I left mine there unattended while I went in for a sandwich and a nice wedge of their chocolate orange cake, very nice indeed. They also do lovely scones and a selection of other stuff like flapjacks etc. It was pretty quite today with the crappy weather but alot of cyclist stop there leaving their bikes outside. While I was there two cyclists pulled in on a very fine Felt and Cervelo and left them outside.
    Another nice facility is that they have a tap outside to fill your bidons with so no need to buy water. It's to the left of the main door beside the side entrance and over an old drinking trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ryue65

Its now called Glendalough Green

The coffee is excellent, and the homemade flapjacks are 'manna from heaven'. ( a meal in themselves).

I think that there is a bike-rack at the left hand side of the shop, on the way to the toilet that can be used also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Crawled in there yesterday after a wet and foggy descent for the w/gap. Great cup of coffee, and very friendly. Just the ticket before the cycle home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

smacl wrote: »
    Crawled in there yesterday after a wet and foggy descent for the w/gap. Great cup of coffee, and very friendly. Just the ticket before the cycle home.
    Did the same yesterday after a descent from Glenmacnass. Lovely cup of tea. Just noticed the bike rails as I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

These guys are legends, I was out on a long one and hit a wall on Shay Elliot.
    Nowhere opened in Laragh I could see saw lights on here and knocked on door. Went to buy cokes and Mars Bars and when I checked pockets my cash was gone.

Owner/Worker insisted I go ahead and drop the money back whenever. Dropped back a couple months later with cash and a few Lotto tickets for them.

Advertisement