Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we renegotiate our bank loans as we're on social welfare?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Marti8 is probably correct

The banks should look into people like him and not give people like this the steam from their piss

Instead of using the money to benefiting there lives to have something to show for it they blow it on Holidays and stuff

Theses people are the type to default or not be able to pay back loans they take out for no real reason

So for them to claim the Tax money and also the Banks to claim the tax money to cover these situations screws the rest of us

So Marti8 I agree your correct . The first time you walked into the Bank they should have told you to Fcuk Off and live on patatoes and rice as people on the dole dont deserve a helping hand

They shouldnt have been helping you as who could ever trust anyone getting allowance

I wouldnt help a family member out who was on the dole if there are in a financial situation

Jesus . I could be waiting years to get it back ;)

The good news is Marti will hopefully never ever get a loan again thanks to all of this. God forbid he gets a mortgage down the line and the taxpayer ends up footing the bill.

Marti, you have the mental capacity of a (selfish) 5 year old child. The problem is that there are far more people like you out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

ted1 wrote: »
    whats the point of a degree if your too disabled to work? By returning to college implies that you were there before so you will have to pay. The state only pays for one year. So if you do a year twice you pay. Even if college is free. Jiving generally isn't so include that in the cost of living. Tell us what makes you too disabled to work. I know people with all kinds of disability that can and do work.

My condition? My brain is too big, it's huge. As for why study if you are on a disability payment, lol, education is always a good thing whether you are working, not working, retired, disabled or whatever else. Simply because I am not in a position to work now doesn't mean I won't be in a position to work later.

There is something called the 5 year rule (Second Chance Scheme) whereby as long as you haven't gone further than your first year you can return to university after a minimum of 5 years and have your fees paid etc. Basically, the slate is wiped clean and you are treated as though you'd never attened uni before. It's a good scheme. Not sure whether everyone knows about it, I do but then I know everything because I have a very big brain :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What are the chances marti8 will start a new post about why he failed out of college and how its the colleges fault down the line!

That's if he ever gets there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I hope the bank crucifies the OP. You got out loans for holidays when you were unemployed? Idiocy.

• Advertisement

That's if he ever gets there.

Yep, heading off to uni in a short few weeks :) Decided not to defer, could but decided not to!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I hope the bank crucifies the OP. You got out loans for holidays when you were unemployed? Idiocy.

Hey Benito! Imagine naming yourself after a dictator :pac: What was wrong with Hitler? Was that name taken?

And no, it wasn't simply for holidays, was also for moving house, educational purposes and many other things. Hi to everyone at Stormfront! :D

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The good news is Marti will hopefully never ever get a loan again thanks to all of this. God forbid he gets a mortgage down the line and the taxpayer ends up footing the bill.

Marti, you have the mental capacity of a (selfish) 5 year old child. The problem is that there are far more people like you out there.

Nah, folks with the mental capacities of 5 year olds tend for some silly reason not to get into law school. Nor do they come in the top 10% of university applicants. Bye bye. As for getting future loans/mortgages - who knows, maybe, maybe not. Glad we didn't get a mortgage within the last few years anyway, again more responsible banking practices "step right up, step right up...get your 100% mortgage".

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Well Marti8, If I were you I would ask the bank for a loan so you can keep up the payments on loan 1 and 2, its the least they can do and it works for the property developers/politicans ( is there any difference ). If you can get your loans up to 5mill then NAMA will swoop in and solve all your problems.
    I have been on disability benefit and other allowances for nearly 2 years and to think that beforE that I was working my arse off to pay for FAS, POLITICIANS PAY AND EXPENSES, QUANGOS AND EXPENSES, SENATORS PAY AND EXPENSES, DRIVERS FOR EX THAOISAGH ( dont care if I spelled it wrong )14 YEARS OF A FAILED POLICY FOR TEACHING IRISH, DRIVERS FOR MINISTERS, AND THE ONES WHO COULDNT MAKE IT TO MINISTERS ONLY GET TO SHARE A CAR.The list goes on. If we were not getting our social welfare allowances does anybody think the money would go to a better place. Take the system for all you can. The politicians and civil servants have been lorrying it for years.

WIZE wrote: »
    Marti8 is probably correct

The banks should look into people like him and not give people like this the steam from their piss

Instead of using the money to benefiting there lives to have something to show for it they blow it on Holidays and stuff

Theses people are the type to default or not be able to pay back loans they take out for no real reason

So for them to claim the Tax money and also the Banks to claim the tax money to cover these situations screws the rest of us

So Marti8 I agree your correct . The first time you walked into the Bank they should have told you to Fcuk Off and live on patatoes and rice as people on the dole dont deserve a helping hand

They shouldnt have been helping you as who could ever trust anyone getting allowance

I wouldnt help a family member out who was on the dole if there are in a financial situation

Jesus . I could be waiting years to get it back ;)

Lol.....bit of a rant there wasn't it, d'ya feel better now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi Marti,

Firstly let me say that I totally understand your situation (I think):)

You applied on line for 3 loans with your bank, over a period of time.

You were approved for a 10000e loan because you had your social welfare payment going into your account, or because at the time of this loan you were working, from your posts its not exactly clear.

You used this money to move house, and go on holiday, moving house is a very stressful event and I can understand why you needed a holiday.

When you applied for a loan of 2000e did you use this to make repayments on the first loan ?

You then applied for a loan of 3000e which you decided not to avail of, why did you decide not to take the third amount of money, by then you were aware that you were not able to pay other loans.

It seems that you have gotten yourself into a mess and it also appears that both you and the bank were't exactly on the ball when it came to deciding if you could repay this money.

I would suggest that you get yourself into the bank as quickly as possible and explain your exact circumstances to them

If you used the second loan to make repayments on the first it shows that you haven't been in a position to make payments for a while they will take this into account when coming to an agreement with you as to a new repayment schedule.

Don't under any circumstances go to the bank thinking ..ye gave me the money ye knew I was on social welfare its ye're fault I can't repay it you asked for it you got it and you used it to fund a lifestyle you couldn't afford.

You'll find that the bank will be prepared to help you, but they won't help you by writing off your loan.( which it appears from the posts you've been making is what you'd like them to do)

Personally I'd love to know how you thought you were going to pay off the loans, I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye (were you /partner using grant money to make loan repayments).

If you're honest with the bank they will help, but you have to be honest.

fabricator wrote: »
    Well Marti8, If I were you I would ask the bank for a loan so you can keep up the payments on loan 1 and 2, its the least they can do and it works for the property developers/politicans ( is there any difference ). If you can get your loans up to 5mill then NAMA will swoop in and solve all your problems.
    I have been on disability benefit and other allowances for nearly 2 years and to think that beforE that I was working my arse off to pay for FAS, POLITICIANS PAY AND EXPENSES, QUANGOS AND EXPENSES, SENATORS PAY AND EXPENSES, DRIVERS FOR EX THAOISAGH ( dont care if I spelled it wrong )14 YEARS OF A FAILED POLICY FOR TEACHING IRISH, DRIVERS FOR MINISTERS, AND THE ONES WHO COULDNT MAKE IT TO MINISTERS ONLY GET TO SHARE A CAR.The list goes on. If we were not getting our social welfare allowances does anybody think the money would go to a better place. Take the system for all you can. The politicians and civil servants have been lorrying it for years.

Now there's an idea and a half! I could get a loan to pay off the other loans! :) Only kidding. And you're right, some folks seem to think that you should only be helped if you actually have HUGE debts but if you have very small debts (as mine is) or small to medium sized debts as tens if not hundreds of thousands of Irish people have then oh no, we can't possibly help them out......that would be just asking too much wouldn't it :rolleyes:

As the Great Bob Hope said ' A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it', except in Ireland where all you had to do was prove you could spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

marti8 wrote: »
    I could afford to go on holiday - as I got a loan

Anyone who needs a loan to go on holiday cant afford it.

Nah, folks with the mental capacities of 5 year olds tend for some silly reason not to get into law school. Nor do they come in the top 10% of university applicants. Bye bye. As for getting future loans/mortgages - who knows, maybe, maybe not. Glad we didn't get a mortgage within the last few years anyway, again more responsible banking practices "step right up, step right up...get your 100% mortgage".

5 year old kids are perfectly capable of memorization. It is in reasoning and logic that they will fail.

Just like you fail at life. Haha. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Why would you want to renegotiate the loan?, you will end up paying for a 2 week holiday you had in 2008 in 2014 or 2015.

Wouldn't you be better off trying to increase the amount your paying back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

marti8, I'm going to get the nice part out of the way first. The bank was indeed wrong to lend to you, they should have investigated further and realised you were a risky case. You should never have been given the money, and based on that I'm sure you'll be able to get your repayments lowered.

HOWEVER.

Your attitude in this thread astounds me. You start off by saying that you got a loan and now can't repay it at the same rate because your disability has been lowered. You then have to have the rest of the info dragged out of you, and you only bother to mention on page 4 that you were in fact already offered a reduction in repayments. You seem to enjoy getting a response out of people, and given the fact that the advice you seem to be looking for was given on the first page, the rest of this thread seems to be you just looking for trouble.

I'm also flabbergasted by your refusal to accept any responsibility AT ALL for this situation. The bank did not force money upon you. You applied for the loan, and it was (apparently wrongly) offered to you. That does not absolve you of blame. You are the one who looked at your own financial situation and decided that you needed a loan; not to pay rent or for groceries, but to take a bloody holiday? That is irresponsible in the extreme, no matter how you try to justify it with 'everybody does it'. Your defense of yourself that you are responsible because you aren't trying to walk away from your loan is pretty laughable, I'd love to see you try and close up your account and just walk away from the situation.

If I may, I'd like to ask a few questions. As others have already asked, what kind of disability do you have that prevents you from doing ANY kind work (and has kept you out of the workforce since at least March 2008, before the recession hit) and yet you feel fit and well enough to go to college (which you claim you can afford due to it being free, while apparently forgetting about the 1500 euro registration fee)? And, again, why is your mature student wife not working?

You say that everyone recommends you not work and study at the same time, which is true, but that is ONLY IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO DO SO. You apparently cannot support both your wife and yourself on your social welfare payments, and your best defence of her current unemployment is that your goverment payouts would decrease. Well, no sh*t, you'd be WORKING so you get less free money. It's clear that neither of you has any issue taking a bank payout for something as frivilous as a holiday while at the same time making excuses as to why you can't work and save up for it like everyone else. Your replies in this thread make you come off like a total leech.

I'm 22 and in college full time. I'm writing this during my break in my part-time job. I could get a student loan and argue that I shouldn't be working and studying, but I'd rather earn my own cash and pay my own way. And what you said about there being no jobs out there is utter bollocks by the way, my brother was offered 3 shop-assistant type jobs this summer after completing his leaving cert. This is obviously not a career but it's at least a bit of cash coming in.

Lastly, your arrogance and smugness is, quite frankly, revolting. There have been less than 5 replies in this thread supporting you, which should tell you something. Your suggestion that that other user was 'bitter' because they work and study at the same time was completely misguided; everyone has figured out that you have no respect for yourself nor anyone else.

Take the advice that's been given to you. Go to the bank and discuss your options. Drop the victim act, explain the situation to them and I'm sure your repayments will be manageable for you.

And learn your lesson from this. Don't get a loan unless you absolutely have to survive, and if you get one, don't waste it on bloody frivilous things like a holiday. Good luck.

Hi Marti,

Firstly let me say that I totally understand your situation (I think):)

You applied on line for 3 loans with your bank, over a period of time.

You were approved for a 10000e loan because you had your social welfare payment going into your account, or because at the time of this loan you were working, from your posts its not exactly clear.

You used this money to move house, and go on holiday, moving house is a very stressful event and I can understand why you needed a holiday.

When you applied for a loan of 2000e did you use this to make repayments on the first loan ?

You then applied for a loan of 3000e which you decided not to avail of, why did you decide not to take the third amount of money, by then you were aware that you were not able to pay other loans.

It seems that you have gotten yourself into a mess and it also appears that both you and the bank were't exactly on the ball when it came to deciding if you could repay this money.

I would suggest that you get yourself into the bank as quickly as possible and explain your exact circumstances to them

If you used the second loan to make repayments on the first it shows that you haven't been in a position to make payments for a while they will take this into account when coming to an agreement with you as to a new repayment schedule.

Don't under any circumstances go to the bank thinking ..ye gave me the money ye knew I was on social welfare its ye're fault I can't repay it you asked for it you got it and you used it to fund a lifestyle you couldn't afford.

You'll find that the bank will be prepared to help you, but they won't help you by writing off your loan.( which it appears from the posts you've been making is what you'd like them to do)

Personally I'd love to know how you thought you were going to pay off the loans, I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye (were you /partner using grant money to make loan repayments).

If you're honest with the bank they will help, but you have to be honest.

When I applied for that loan never in a million years did I think we'd get it, I was simply checking my balance or paying a bill or something and think I saw a section for online loan applications so I thought "ah, sure nothing to lose but won't get it but might as well see what they say anyway" But I got it. Amazing. A few months later tried it again and got it again. Amazing. A few months later tried it again and got it again. Amazing. The banks made it so easy for people to get loans that they created their own demise. Well, not demise exactly, more correctly almost the demise of the State as a functioning entity. Greedy basterds. And yes, people like me and many, many others also fell into the trap they set.

But when you offer someone who gets say €280 a week or whatever it was at the time, an immediate €10,000 what do you expect.......people will go for it, head first. And if you offer them more they'll take more. Sometimes they'll stop (like we did) because sometimes they'll realise "hold on a minute here, exactly what the f is going on?" And sometimes they won't because they are hooked, hooked to a lifestyle of having some money when previously they didn't. It's very easy to say people should have known better, and yes in general people should have but you could nearly compare the availability of easy credit to a that of a drug. The banks were the dealers and the people were the junkies - feck only knows who the suppliers were! Who cares, it is was real money, right there and then.

Anyway, I wasn't working when I got the loans - I was and still am in receipt of disability allowance. We were making the repayments from our current account so basically all the money was mixed up, the savings we had, the loans, the weekly DA payment - all mixed up in one account.

The bank themselves told me when I queried how I got the loans in the first place that I shouldn't have, that the person who approved them didn't do a proper check and just saw money coming into my account every week and some savings and decided "approved"....."approved"......"approved". Had that individual checked I was told they would have seen the money entering my account was from social welfare and the loans would not have been given. There can be no dispute that that was their mistake.

At that time I could repay the agreed amount but since then things have changed - we got the loan just a very short few months before the chaos of the bank guarantee scheme etc. But funnily even after that we still were offered the third loan - whih we didn't take. Because things have now chnaged and further reductions in social welfare could materialise in the next budget we are going to have to renegotiate the loan.

We did renegotiate a few months ago down to €45 but decided to continue with the full weekly payments for as long as we could. We'll soon have to approach them again and say "listen, we'd like to renegotiate the weekly loan repayments......pretty please" :rolleyes: Hopefully €30 will be acceptable, as we want to repay the loan - I've never said I want the loan scrapped or anything. But if they say "sorry, no" we'll then have to basically move our direct debits etc to another bank and simply pay in €30 a week to our loan account. After that it is totally upto the bank as to what they want to do....do they really want to drag it to court over €15 a week, especially as they were the ones who actually ignored their own guidelines when it came to who to lend to and who not to lend to? What would the court make of it all I wonder? We're gald we got the loans, we want to pay them back, we will pay them back but at €30 pw. Had circumstances not changed we would still be paying back the full €60 pw - as it stands we have already repaid 50% of the loan. Ah well, we'll see what happens :)

5 year old kids are perfectly capable of memorization. It is in reasoning and logic that they will fail.

Just like you fail at life. Haha. Have a good one.

Think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, lol. Life hasn't even begun :) My reasoning and logic are just fine by the way - it's yours which really would come under some scrutiny though, you adopt a very childish, hostile, insecure attitude? :P

Think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, lol. Life hasn't even begun :) My reasoning and logic are just fine by the way - it's yours which really would come under some scrutiny though, you adopt a very childish, hostile, insecure attitude? :P

Yeah you're right. I'm obviously a fool. I mean, I wasn't online trying to secure loans for holidays worth 10k while on the dole = I'm obviously a bit slow.

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right. I'm obviously a fool. I mean, I wasn't online trying to secure loans for holidays worth 10k while on the dole = I'm obviously a bit slow.

You said it not me :D To clear up your misconceptions: the €10,000 (€12,000 actually) wasn't all spent on holidays and I wasn't on the "dole" - if you are unemployed you are on the "dole", I wasn't unemployed, I was and am in reciept of a disability allowance not an unemployment payment. Semantics you might think but just wanted to clarify it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

You said it not me :D To clear up your misconceptions: the €10,000 (€12,000 actually) wasn't all spent on holidays and I wasn't on the "dole" - if you are unemployed you are on the "dole", I wasn't unemployed, I was and am in reciept of a disability allowance not an unemployment payment. Semantics you might think but just wanted to clarify it for you :)

You're not employed, therefore you are unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Marti you asked for our help/opinions/advice when you started this thread. Most of us have tried to help you. There are 111 replies (including your own) and you only posted this at 7.30pm last night!! Clearly people feel strongly about the issue and of course your attitude towards the loan/bank. Im suprised this discussion is still ongoing though. What more can be said??? I can just see this turning into a slagging match.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Anyone who needs a loan to go on holiday cant afford it.

To extend your eh, "logic" anyone who needs a loan for a car or a house can't afford it either, lol :D

You're not employed, therefore you are unemployed.

Not when it comes to social welfare purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I agree. Imagine a bank giving a loan of €12,000 to someone on social welfare with no assets, looney indeed. :rolleyes:

Imagine a person on social welfare with no assets applying to the bank for a loan of 12000e, looney indeed :rolleyes:

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Marti you asked for our help/opinions/advice when you started this thread. Most of us have tried to help you. There are 111 replies (including your own) and you only posted this at 7.30pm last night!! Clearly people feel strongly about the issue and of course your attitude towards the loan/bank. Im suprised this discussion is still ongoing though. What more can be said??? I can just see this turning into a slagging match.

7.30pm was it? How the time flies when your having fun, eh? And when ya can set your own clock of course. The sports I've been watching helps too, gotta love SKY. Anyway, think I'll take the dog for walkies.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Imagine a person on social welfare with no assets applying to the bank for a loan of 12000e, looney indeed :rolleyes:

Nah, that's called human nature, lol. What is looney is getting it :rolleyes:

Well, have to head, was nice chatting to all and sundry. Capt.Flaps will try to answer your posting later. Cheerio, chaps and chapettes :D Tally ho!

• Advertisement

Marti8, Yer some man for one man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement