Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railways in Monaghan

Options
  • 04-09-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I looking for some info on the railway from Dundalk to Derry. Did it pass through the county and is it still intact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thlint

There are no railway left in Monaghan -- some bridges .
    Check with museum but I think route to Derry was through Belfast . Clones Castleblayney Monaghan Ballybay all had stations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

thlint wrote: »
    There are no railway left in Monaghan -- some bridges .
    Check with museum but I think route to Derry was through Belfast . Clones Castleblayney Monaghan Ballybay all had stations

Carrickmacross also had a station (actually still standing but in a sorry enough state) which went to and fro to Dundalk through Inniskeen. The route is still fairly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The service to Derry was operated by GNR. It originated in Dublin as a number of carriages on a Dublin-Belfast train. It passed through Dundalk and on to Portadown, where the Derry carriages were detached and brought along the "Derry road". The service was discontinued in the late 1950s, and the line is long gone.

Advertisement