Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railways from Dundalk to Derry

Options
  • 04-09-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I looking for some info on the railway from Dundalk to Derry. Did it pass through the county and is it still intact. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm not sure what you mean by Dundalk to Derry...I assume you mean other than via Belfast.

Very good map from wiki page here.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/Map_Rail_Ireland_Viceregal_Commission_1906.jpg

I lived in Castleblayney some years back in a house that was built on one of the railway's embankments...it connected Dundalk to Armagh city. The rails are long, long gone, most of the larger bridges and viaducts remain and some of the station buildings were put to other uses and most of the line can still be traced by following old telegraph poles and the lie of the land..
    On that map the 'blayney/armagh line is broken so I assume that means that even by 1906, the line was out of use. But the solid line from Dundalk to Clones and beyond is also long gone (think this went in the 30's, not sure)
    I know the line from Dundalk to Greenore finihsed up in the 50's.
    It's backwards we went in this country as far as rail went...all those lines just left to rot. Shame really.

Advertisement