Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin, Belfast, "roaming" and Meteor's "foreign country"

Options
  • 04-09-2010 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

A friend rang me from a landline in Belfast a moment ago saying she couldn't ring me in Dublin because Meteor wouldn't allow her to. So I got her password, rang Meteor (whom I've been a customer with since September 2001) and asked them to allow her to ring/text me. Simple, or so I thought.

Meteor told me they could not do so until she rang them. When I explained slowly, very, very very fúckin' slowly to these retards that she was not able to fúckin' ring this part of Ireland and that is the problem they merely reiterated that they could not allow her to ring home until she contacted them herself. Who is running that show?

I then asked the Meteor person why my friend could not ring home as normal from another part of Ireland and the Meteor individual told me that she was now in "another country" as if she had gone to Britain or France (not another state - something I'd have no problem accepting as a current reality - mind you). I then asked her why Meteor was treating Belfast as a foreign country given that, well, it's in Ireland and there is huge movement across the "border" each day. She had no answer.

Are these Meteor people for real when they claim that you need special "foreign travel" permission to use their service in the north? How do farmers and ordinary people along the border manage each time they want to travel naturally between both states? 'Oh, I must ring Meteor and inform them that I'm going to "another country" now that I've crossed over that bridge on my tractor?' Hello?

The last time I was using my phone from the north I used my Vodafone phone and I did not need to inform Vodafone beforehand that I was going to somewhere exotic like a football match in Newry. I could ring home from another part of my country. No problem. What, therefore, is the problem with Meteor when it comes to Irish people travelling from one part of their country to another part?

/Rant over (but I'm now looking for an alternative to Meteor - any options?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Well Belfast is actually in a foreign country. Move grim merit to three and get 3 like home for both calls and data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

once i cross into derry my meteor sim stops and then changes to t mobile then says "welcome to the u.k. " its sick , pathetic as if i want to be reminded of the ****in border...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Well Belfast is actually in a foreign country. Move grim merit to three and get 3 like home for both calls and data.

It's actually not. Unless you think the Brits can draw whatever lines they want to in this country to suit themselves and create as many "countries" as they want out of each partition of Ireland. Some of us have more fight and pride in us. There are 800,000 self-declared Irish people still living under British rule in Ireland. They are as much a part of Ireland as anybody from Cork, Dublin, Galway or anywhere else in the 26. That Meteor is treating them as "foreign", or people who visit them as being in a "foreign country", is ignorant, partisan politically-motivated nonsense.

This is not acceptable by any standard. Is this what the Belfast Agreement brings us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

lads, take it to politics or something. op, your friend should call meteor from a landline and try resolve the issue.

pm me if any issues, i'm locking this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement