Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gun

Options
  • 04-09-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,Im new to hunting and i looking for some info on geting my first gun.
    I would be using it mainly for rabbit's,foxes and small prey like that.
    I have read the other posts about geting the paperwork sorted and i have land to shoot in.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your chosen sport. If you're looking for a good rifle to start with, its hard to beat a CZ in either .22LR or .17HMR.

The .22LR is a cheap round to practice with. You'd be looking at about €7 for 50 rounds. Its an easy round to silence with a moderator, as subsonic ammo can be had. The downside is it will be lacking power for foxes @ 100 yards. Its a good round to learn with as you have to learn the trajectory

The .17HMR is a bit of a laser beam in that it has a fairly flat trajectory. This can give the shooter a "point and shoot" ability in so far as you have to use less hold over or under. Hold over or under is aiming above or under the target in order to hit it, it depends on the range you "zero" your rifle for.

The downside of the .17HMR is the cost in comparison to .22LR. Its about €18 for a box of 50. I'd consider its effective range to be around 160yds. It also is hard to silence as the rounds are supersonic, and you still get a sonic crack.

For a bolt action CZ you'd be looking at aroound €500 new.

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz.aspx

Best of luck anyhow. This is a good place to learn the basics. Have a look at the tips section also.

I presume this is a first firearms license application, so you'll need to get a proof of competency sorted too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

clown_ wrote: »
    Hi,Im new to hunting and i looking for some info on geting my first gun.
    I would be using it mainly for rabbit's,foxes and small prey like that.
    I have read the other posts about geting the paperwork sorted and i have land to shoot in.
    Thanks

if its your first gun, the cheapest one to run is a .22lr. and its a joy to shoot.
    i use mine all the time, even tho i have a .223 and a .308 also.
    other options might be a .22 wmr or a .17 hmr.

the .22lr cost about €4.50 for a box of 50 and upwards, it can also be use with a moderator and operates very quietly

the .22wmr and .17hmr can cost from about €15 a box of 50 and upwards, you can also use a moderator with these but you will still have a sonic crack out of these but still quiet enough

i would recommend getting one of the above as a starter and learn your trade before moving up if at all.

as far as a rifle is concerned i cant recommend a cz 452 enough. cheep reliable and accurate. that would be a bolt action

and for a semmi a ruger 10/22 would be a good choice;)

best of luck looking for a rifle and enjoy the journey.

you should take your time and have a good look around before buying anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Don't forget about a second hand rifle. You can get kitted out better for less.

A new cz is gonna be €500 ballpark, a new mod €50 and scope and mounts say €200

You could get a good second hand complete rig for about €500

OP from the sound of things its a rifle sooner than a shotgun you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clown_

Thanks for the info guys.
    I have been told a rifle is better for small prey.
    what would be a good place to look for second hand kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

lookin the for sale section theres a cz 452 silhouette.22lr for 450 i think.
    this would be the ideal starter gun i think i even has a scope and mod with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheCZkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TheCZkid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

hey i bought a cz 452 brno in 22 and couldnt be happier with it i have it 2 months now and have taken alot of rabbits with it and the mod is really handy when there is a few rabbits in close proximity. i dont have any faults with it and really enjoy shooting it.

Advertisement