Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non wed parents - is there a form for the mother to sign to protect fathers rights?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

In the absence of a wedding or civil marraige is there a document / form to protect the father in the event of a split.

We have two kids and I want to protect myself in the event of a split. i.e I want to be able to have the same rights to see the kids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/unmarried-couples/legal_guardianship_and_unmarried_couples

You can be granted guardianship but you can't legally be granted access/visitation until after the break up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boAds_user

Just do it. There is no harm in being prepared. It's very important legally if you are not married as you don't have any rights in relation to your child even if on Birth Cert as father. Mother can grant these rights to unmarried father by signing a legal document. This give you same status (or equal rights) as a married father. (Don't marry her just for the rights! If she asks you to ... be concerned even at the suggestion.)
    I know so many "Scumbag Mothers" that ab-use the kiddies sick ways to "get back at" a father after the relationship ends. Some actually deny the father to be able to see the kids or refuse guardianship. Seems to be Irish thing anyone else agree? Scumbag Mothers? Or Scummy-Mummies!! I think is the proper term anyone know which is correct:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

You can get her to sign a form that gives you guardianship as mentioned above, but in no way will this give you access to see your children in the event of a split,

unfortunately Ireland has yet to catch up on equal rights for men, :mad:

as far as i know you would have to apply for joint custody through a court to see your children and it would be up to your partner really to comply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

She is Spanish and Im Irish we live in Ireland, baby born here.

Baby has dual citizenship.

All things are Rosey now but I got a bit freaked when I posted that as we had a big argument.

Any way, Its best to get her to sign that doc right?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

OP my ex and I went to get that particular form signed, and was informed it means squat all! A friend of ours who works in the legal field informed us of this.

The only method that is legally binding is the court route. We went through that just this month ourselves. If she does not contest you can be in and out in less than 5 min and you both get a piece of paper that has legal standing!

Also as others have said, if you wish to have custody of your children after a split, you have to wait til this occurs.

Good Luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    OP my ex and I went to get that particular form signed, and was informed it means squat all! A friend of ours who works in the legal field informed us of this.

The only method that is legally binding is the court route. We went through that just this month ourselves. If she does not contest you can be in and out in less than 5 min and you both get a piece of paper that has legal standing!

Also as others have said, if you wish to have custody of your children after a split, you have to wait til this occurs.

Good Luck :)

i also posted this in the other thread. You can avoid the courthearing by getting funnily enough "a rule of court". Just basically agree terms with someone in family and he can get it authorised by the court.

http://www.treoir.ie/pdfs/access.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

As for guardianship I've attached the form to this post. You can just fill it out and get it notarised by a solicitor, peace commissioner or notary public. It means that you will have say in the raising of your children. It will also mean that you will have guardianship of your children if something should happen to the mother. Currently her parents would become their guardians should she die.

It's also ridiculous that there is no way to register this guardianship. Once its notarised keep it locked away safely.

Advertisement