Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymoney + Broadband

Options
  • 04-09-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all

Contemplating moving out to Ballymoney and just wondering if you can get Eircom Broadband out there? I work from home so is essential (mobile BB is not an option for my work arrangements).

Cheers

Gg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

i'm thinking of moving there also. How did you get on with broadband??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Hi Rosco

I haven't had a chance to get any further with this but am planning to go for a walk there tomorrow and stop into the shop to ask them.

Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Permanet and Ripplecom do decent fixed wireless broadband if you don't want a phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mrsbouquet

I live near ballymoney and the only broadband I could get was with permanet wireless.
    I find this service very good. prior to this I had dial up broadband with eircom which was worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Since Ballymoney is on the Gorey telephone exchange it's at the absolute distance limit of the technology. Some houses there you will get it and some you won't. Also even if you do get it you won't get much more than 1-2megabit. If I was going to move there I'd make dam sure I could get line of sight to a permanent transmitter because there is a good chance you won't get the broadband over the phoneline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

Goreygal wrote: »
    Hi all

Contemplating moving out to Ballymoney and just wondering if you can get Eircom Broadband out there? I work from home so is essential (mobile BB is not an option for my work arrangements).

Cheers

Gg
    Hi,

I live in Ballymoney (Duffcarrig). I've Eircom broadband via my phone-line but the maximum download speed is 3mb so during peak times it's crawling. Eircom said there's nothing they can do, "old phones lines". I contacted PermaNet but I'm still waiting for them to respond. Wimax isn't available - we're a mile too far from the transmitter. If anyone is receiving a fast broadband signal in the Ballymoney, it would be really helpful to know which part?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Gg.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

IIrc Goreygal got sorted with broadband but here's another company to consider: http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/domestic-broadband.html Cover North Wexford also.Have a look in the broadband forum,seems they get decent reviews there.

Many thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Try John Timmons from Courtown. He operates from Courtown and his company web address www.glasgorman.com
    I haven't tried him yet but I know people who have and say he is far better than Eircom. I live in Ballymoney village and have 3mb Eircom broadband, which is abysmal. At best, I get a download speed of 250k/sec but is more often slower and slow when it comes to using iTunes. The main reason I haven'y changed over yet is that John uses a dish receiver and I don't want to get rid of my phone just yet (but am seriously reconsidering at the moment).

John Timmons
    www.glasgorman.com

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted Wicklow broadband and they do cover the Ballymoney area. They'll send a technician out to survey our exact location (free of charge), as the position of trees can interupt the signal!

I'll post the outcome here before contacting John Timmons.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that I contacted Wicklow broadband and they do cover the Ballymoney area. They'll send a technician out to survey our exact location (free of charge), as the position of trees can interupt the signal!

I'll post the outcome here before contacting John Timmons.

Thanks

Cheers, I'd be interested to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

Any news One Flew Over???

Yes but not exciting news! The technican from Wicklow Broadband surveyed where I'm living for an signal but the only one he picked up was from Ripplecom with a download speed of 3mbs, same as eircom, however, he did say they are "considering erecting a mast" which will provide a faster service - 6mbs download speed at a cost of €50 per month approx. The location of the mast has yet to be decided so I'll check back with him in a couple of weeks to find out if any progress has being made and post the result. I haven't contacted John Timmons yet but I will do.

I wish it was better news but not yet anyway. Will keep you posted on any further updates as soon as I hear anything.

Until soon.

Good news for all suffering a slow broadband connection in Ballymoney.

Wicklow Broadband have erected a mast at Tara Hill that will provide a fast broadband connection in the area, that is - 6 mbs download speed. So, if anyone wants to upgrade their broadband service, contact James, he's really helpful.

http://www.wicklowbroadband.com/

ps. I don't work for Wicklow Broadband.

Advertisement