Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confessions of a Comrade Cailin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

How on earth do you do these Ultra's? I did 5K today and I get all these thoughts in my head of how a marathon would be impossible. Can't imagine what an ultra would be like.

Having said that, the thought of completing a marathon is appealing for some strange reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Good luck in Florence and don't get too caught up in the sub 4hr Marathon because it's just another training run if Comrades is your goal. If it happens it happens but ideally you should be able to get straight back to business almost straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Well I had planned on a route with a big hill and some undulations with two circuits to make the most of the hill. Unfortunately a dog joined me after one mile near my friends house. He stayed with me for 5 miles and I thought he would have a heart attack on the hill. He really struggled but I reckon he figured he had no choice but to stay with me if he was to find his way home again. He was great though.... cars slowed down cos he was usually in the middle of the road and If i passed a house with a dog , they had no interest in me :D. Decoy dog;) MIght take him again .

I did one circuit and brought him home. Closed the gate of his house and sneaked off, but 300 m down the road he comes again after jumping the wall. I hadnt the heart to drag him around another 4 miles so I got into the car and abandoned him and the rest of my run.

Coped well with the not so flat terrain and I think for Comrades proper I just have to make the effort to drive to these locations to avoid the flat roads near home.

Two more weeks to Florence. My lsr pace is fast becoming my marathon pace, or reasonable close to it . Im far too conservative to push myself hard on the day in any race, so sub 4 or not , I reckon I will be able to continue and then do the Clonakilty two weeks later.

Spent ages analyzing plans and schedules trying to decide which to go with . Think I will have a go at the new zealand ultra runners 100k tweaked a bit and see how it goes. I reckon it wont matter if I dont do as much as they suggest for every outing. Tuesday - speedwork; thursday hills, and long sat/sunday. Easy runs if I get extra runs in or if legs are complaining a bit or need a break.

Today..12M 1:50 avg 9:15mm ( 156)
    Dog... 11 miles + 2 cats chased

Will work on flexibility today so I can give myself a good kick in the arse.

Finally got around to attending to Achilles , and in the meantime have developed a big fecking bump on it. Sh**e. these are hard to get rid of. Bah.:mad:
    Had ultrasound and laser on it with lots of rolling etc. Will have to persist and hope it settles down. Thankfully it is not sore yet ,really.

IN spite of reading Tergats advice on trying to run every day , not ony did I skip my usual MOnday but also Tuesday. weather was ferocious and achilles wasnt much better
    Managed to get out for about 5 miler late last night. Forgot to take garmin home from work but I reckon it was about 52 minutes. Legs felt very heavy and the scone I ate before I went out was like a stone in my every increasing belly. Pace was easy but effort was more.

Thursday did 9 MIles. 3 Miles were supposed to be @ vo2max. managed 7.39 for first one but second one was 7:24 and I had to stop for a rest at the end of it and I thought id puke. so third one , although the heart rate was the same effort of heart rate worked out a 7.59 mm cos of the stop between mile 2 and 3. Again i wasnt sure what the pace was supposed to be once you finished the intervals ,So I ran about 85% til the end apart from the last mile.

9M 1:19 avg 8:50mm ( 167)

Ha! Was reading running stuff the other night and have just copped on to the fact that I am supposed to rest inbetween the vo2max intervals. NO wonder I wanted to puke after the second mile . Doh!!

1:54 avg 9.35mm at ( 151) 70%whr

legs felt heavy for ages and it seemed to take forever to get going . Not sure these days off really suit me. Am getting concerned I am getting away from sub 4.or rather it is getting away from me.

5 miler in Leenaun tomorrow. Dont think I wil do all the miles suggested for the marathon race week. Perhaps a few 5's just to loosen up?? I feel I am getting fatter by the day as well. BAh.

OK so I had planned to jog around but it was only 5 miles and given that I am supposed to do a few intervals next week pre marathon, didnt think there was any harm in going near 10k pace.
    Very well organised and most enjoyable. HIll in the middle wasnt that big at all so that was a nice surprise.

:40 mins . Avg 8:08mm, ( 169)
    Splits: 8:42 8:11 8:33 7:54 7:19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck at the weekend. :)

Sorry I have been so slack at keeping logged up. I tried to write race report about 2 times but it got lost before it was posted. Grrr.

Anyway... here we go .

Arrived at start in my singlet , shorts, hoodie and plastic bag and stood with everyone else in the rain getting progressively colder for an hour. I had had good sleep and was in good form after walking up with a really lovely bloke I met in the hostel.
    The plan , such as it was , was to start behind the pink sub 4 balloons and over the first 8 miles reel them in . Hang with them for the next 8 miles and if I had anything left to stretch in front of them for the end, other wise to stay put and I woud be guaranteed my finish.
    I couldnt see them at the start so was going to have to rely on my garmin which was fully charged. I had forgotten my pace band so I figured that 9mm would be a good enough margin ( 9:09 is sub 4 pace).
    I averaged a very comfortable start of
    8:41
    8:52
    8:55
    7:36
    8:49

I was very cold and stiff setting off and kept my jacket on for four miles. I thought that I should at least be seeing pink balloons ,knowing that I was going at a good pace but it was at mile 8 that I saw them ahead on a switch back. I upped the ante a bit and over the next 5 miles got closer to them , maybe 400m in front at times? As long as I could see the balloons and had a target I was happy, but frustrated enough. I was having difficulty opening gels as the hands were very cold. I had to stop to try to tear them in my teeth and take gloves off to hold them.
    At about mile 13 I got a sudden sharp pain on the side of my knee. I knew that if I stopped that I wouldnt get going again , so I limped on and over the next 12 miles it eased and raged on and off. I was still going well I thought
    9:03
    8:53
    8:59
    8:49
    8:38
    8:31
    8:53
    8:36 Half way. Heart rate just starting to get to 78% WHR at mile10. Cushy enough yet.
    Still no pink balloons. Was put off my loads of pink umbrellas so many times. I found that going around soooo many corners was also irritating my knee. And avoiding the bigger puddles ( how deep were they? were there potholes in them ?) and having to watch the paving stones and kerbs so carefully as people were jumping all around the place avoiding them. The city was beautiful but you were so carefully monitoring your step that you couldnt really appreciate it in the rain.

At mile 18 I lost a lot of time trying to get a gel open and get going again after I stopped to get a drink. By mile 20 the garmin had died. The balloons were gone and I had no time reference. I kept going , not knowing did I have time in hand, did I need to keep the same pace or would I get away with a slight slow down? I felt very cold again and I just kept reciting the mantra I had used in training over and over for miles . It definitley helped my focus. I wanted it to be over and was looking for any discarded clothes I could have thrown back on . It felt like I had slowed down a lot. I felt despair. I felt stressed trying to time manage the whole thing and wasnt enjoying it as much as I usually do . I was begining to regret even trying for the sub 4.
    8:47
    8:57
    9:00
    8:59
    9:27
    9:06
    9:24
    So i talked my way to the finish and crossed the line. I didnt know what my time was as I didnt see the starting clock. I hadnt seen a pink balloon in about 6 miles.I didnt know had I missed it andn by much or was I way off . Massive anti climax.
    I got my clothes , shivered and shook my way back to the hostel to a hot shower. I put on all my clothes and went to bed to try to wam up . About 2 hours later my friend from Scotland text me to see if I got it . She checked on line and told me that I got 3:58:14. Was happy but it took a while to sink in.
    Im happy with it now. I knew that I had the capacity to do it but I know I probably hold back too much on the day. UP to mile 20 my stats were avg pace 8:42 and working heart rate of 160 ( about 78%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done on getting the sub 4!

Sounds like those pacers did an awful job, judging by your splits you should have caught up with them long before the halfway mark (unless Florence is much bigger than Dublin and you were really far back) Between that and your Garmin going, I'm not surprised your head was wrecked in the last few miles.

I didnt get back to Mayo til 4.45 am once Flight arrived in Dublin. My windscreen was frozen inside, once I cleared off all the snow. My bottle of water was frozen solid and as the heater was gone in my car I nearly froze on the way down. I had to keep clearing the ice off the inside of the windscreen with my tesco clubcard and any condensation from breathing would just freeze again. I was so cold and stiff on the way . A feckin ejit in the supposed M4 service station told me to get water in the AIR/WATER supply at the side of the forecourt , when I asked him for water to defrost the windscreen. It was minus 8 outside .FFS. Service station had no internal access - just a window. So dont rely on a comfort stop here except for fuel.
    My toes were painful for four days after the chilling I got in the car.I took about 2 days to get proper sensation back in my feet.

My knee and hip felt "off" for the next two weeks. It felt like it was out of place. I could feel the whole length of my thigh bone. I think what happened was during the Venice marathon a few weeks before.
    I jumped down half a flight of steps coming off the last bridge about mile 26 . I felt a kick on the side of my knee and I hobbled ot the finish but it settled over the night. I think this is what has lingered on.

So with snow in place. I screwed screws into my shoes and after resting the leg for a few days it was back to the Comrades training ( via Clonakilty marathon in two weeks)

Thursday Dec 2nd 5 miles at -4 degrees

-4 again. Got funny looks running past people trying not to fall. ( love the screws)
    :52 mins 9.46mm ( 150) 5 miles

10 M 1:41 10;08mm ( 158) -3
    Very icy after slight thaw. Hard work on the legs too which isnt helping my sore achilles,

Dying of hangover. Had planned to run 10 miles back to recover car but thought I would have a heart attack after .25 Miles so I hitched and just ran the last 2 miles.

7.5 miles in screws again. -4 degrees still. Planned a 10 but achilles just too sore to do anymore.
    I am fine running in the evening but this morning running just seems to break it down even more. Stil , have appointment to fix it in January so will get a few more marathons out of it before that.
    Hip/knee still aching so think I might rest it before the marathon at the weekend. Concerned that I have shifted the balance right off. Worried also that i am losing my training benefit already.

• Advertisement

Well after 7 hours drive down I thought I would never restore the feeling and use to my arse and legs. Am limping all the time now with hip, so am just goign to jog along and it might work itself out. Anyway am looking forward to meeting up with runners that I might know from the boards.
    Lovely morning and great atmosphere. santa dress on and after some great chats we are off.
    #Met lovely people on the way and really enjoyed the scenery. Not sure what my pace was going to be. Plan was about working heart rate of 160-165 as I know I can run it all at that.
    Achilles was sore for 10 miles , typical for being forced to run in the morning. I guess that is the price for doing most of my runs at 10pm at night .
    I didint think the hills were bad. They werent that steep and the ones that were , were short enough. Some of the downhills were steep and as I have zero control on downhills , I ran down like a screaming banshee hoping I wouldnt fall. I got great support in my santa dress and enjoyed the craic along the way.
    I found the drag along the muddy road tough. Dont know was it uphill but I found it draining.
    Held on to the finish and just met Declan, another regular marathon stalwart at the end. We came across the line together.

26.2M 4:13 9:36mm ( 166)

Hip has certainly eased since this. It is only sore at night now. But I still feel it is out of line. Just need to get back into the routine now.

Feel it is ages since I ran
    6M :57 9:33mm (161)
    Felt legs were comfortable but heart rate was quite high for recover kind of pace. MIght give it an extra day off.
    Feel depressed. Think it is post marathon blues. I know its a long way from Comrades but will I be able to get the training done? Have busy time at work and wont get to run before 10pm any night this week.
    Do I have it in me ? Doubts lurk :(

Well ,up to date now again , so at least there wont be a million posts from me for another while. Sorry. But it is the only place I have now to log my stuff , so it eventually has to get up here.

-2 and snowing hard. Did 8 miles in screws along the hard shoulder . NO torch required. Must have looked like a spastic running along with head back ,mouth open wide and tongue out ...catching snowflakes :D

Felt I needed a more easy run so tried to keep heart rate lowish.
    8M 1:19 9:59mm ( 155)

Near blizzard conditions so took back road. Hips and knees back to happy state since I upped the runs again. Definitley taper doesnt suit me.
    Heart rate/effort always greater in the snow and its hard to do Easy/hard alternate runs so decided I might as well push it. Did steadyish on the way out and then a hard 3 miles finishing with a steady 2.

Overall 10M 1:31 9:07mm ( 167)
    9:14(150)
    9:18(160)
    9:16(163)
    9:29(165)
    9:28(168)
    8:38(169)
    8:20(178)
    8:47(180)
    9:22(172) plus stretching afterwards.
    9:14(174)

Miserable run.
    Heavy falls of snow made it deep on the ground. It was such an effort to try and clear it and step up /lift the knees much higher than usual. By mile 3 my shin was really knotting, so I made it onto compacted snow and ice and this was much easier but I ran out of road, Was also very wet by then and had to go and change into dry clothes. NOt sure what I will do tomorrow. Screws still doing a great job , slippy wise.

4.7 Miles 10.04mm ( 155)

• Advertisement

Well much better staying on a small back road with compressed snow and ice. Managed 10 miles before I ran out of time.

10 Miles 1:38 9:48mm ( 157) 75% WHR

Then ate about 3,000 calories. Bah

Snow miles are better than no miles :) I admire your dedication and I think you have it in you for the Comrades.

Just in from 12 miles in the snow. Moonlight for the last 6. Truly magical. Was -8 when I came in and my hair was frozen into lacy patterns on the side of my head as if I was wearing a doily under my buff. Looks also like I have whie mascara sticking my eyelashes together. Was definitely not worth losing heart after bad run the other day. Also didnt hink I would make it out when I didnt get out til after 9 tonight. Better hit the shower before I freeze int eh kitchen. GO ME !!:D

12 M 1:58 9:51mm ( 154)

-4 blue sky and white compact snow. Very pretty. Feels harder though.

16 miles 2:35 9:42mm (154)

I AM surprised that the pace and effort seems as good as that.
    Pleased with that but havent done any hills in a month . Gulp. HOpefully I still have time.

Another beautiful but very cold day. Havent run in minus 9 before. 2010 is full of firsts :D
    ANother flat run in compacted snow.NO Chasing Dogs :D:D

10M 1:35 9:36mm (150) 70%

Didnt get a chance to get out til nearly 8pm. Did major amount of eating while preparing the dinner. Dangerous to leave me in the kitchen alone.

So , wind has picked up a lot and felt quite a bit colder , -8 up to -5 so it is actually warmer than earlier. Moon gone so head torch came back out.Tried to run the last few miles at a faster pace but couldnt sustain it.

5.7M :51 8.56 mm (162)

9:13(150)
    9.11( 159)
    9:13( 159)
    8:28(167)
    8:24(173)
    9:07(170)

[FONT=arial, helvetica]If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]John Bingham, Runner and author [/FONT]

Poor effort last few days, with busy work and lots of ice.
    Meagre 5 flat miles in +7 degrees. Nearly roasted! They all count and at least it will stop me seizing til I get back into a routine again.

5M :45 9:09mm (161)

Managed to run a bit around Fingal. Should probably have driven to Howth and done hills but didnt know if it was still snowy and icy. Am running effort levels that are neither rest/recovery or fast pace building miles. Need to wind that up again and sort it out so I am not wasting time doing ineffecitve stuff , if there is such a thing.

9M 1:24 9:30mm ( 159)

Nearly roasted running in 22 degrees C. Was stiff after 15 hours travelling yesterday so was happy to get any miles and exercise at all.
    Very flat miles. Very .Effort was greater than it seems . Had to stop at junctions and road crossings so it brought HR back down.

10M 1:33 9:23mm (154)

• Advertisement

Hot again today. Brought drinks so it was easier. Hip still very dodgy and achilles lump is getting very big and hard and very sore. Will be getting that sorted soon. Now if I could get the rest of me sorted before the big training kicks in.
    I wanted to do some treadmill hillwork or stairs but was afraid to do anything too stressful at the moment in case it makes me have to take a break from training. So ....

12.5 M 2:00 9:35 ( 152)

When I do the best I can with what I have, then I have won my race.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Jay Foonberg, 72-year-old runner [/FONT]

Got new runners today. First pair that isnt structured. WIll see how i get on with them. Its very hard to know what to get when you havent run in them.
    Did treadmill session to try them out .
    5x yassos at 8mph and 6mph. Total about 5 miles including one warm up mile.

5 M 43 mins .

Disaster strikes!
    Had awful sick stomach yesterday and during the day the hip got very sore. Today I can hardly walk on it . Major limp and lots of pain. Had massage that didnt help one bit. NOt sure what I have done or how? ??? the treadmill session?
    Anyway. If stomach settles I will take anti inflamms until the weekend and see if I can even walk the damn thing. Cant believe my bad luck. 40 miles with this will be a right punishment. I need to be able to continue my training but if I have to stop for a few weeks , then I have no choice. Am devastated to travel all this way for nothing.:(

Sounds like it's time to take a step back and give yourself time to rest and recover. Best to be on the start line slightly undertrained but healthy and injury free rather than injured and not knowing if you'll manage the distance. Don't forget the Comrades has a cut of time.

Now is not the time to change running shoes.

Thanks Wounded Knee. Had major meltdown yesterday in a panic :o but this morning I localised the trouble spot and got stuck into it. It has freed up hugely and I reckon by the weekend I should be good for one if not both events.
    The plan was a break after this weekend anyhow, so will do that when I get back. I was just going to run these at a slow fun training pace to discipline myself to hold back on training runs when I am doing them as events . I will need to get used to running slower for Comrades anyway if I am to cover the distance and not burn out in the first half.

I am long overdue a change of shoes. The last ones were a disaster and I had gone back to wearing old ones that have thousands of miles in them. I havent seen any brooks ones here, which I got on well with before , so I had to get something. I reckon with shoes you pay your money and take your chance until you find a pair that you like and you can keep buying the same ones.
    So , apologies for the panic attack. Going to keep working on the hip and make a decisioin on Friday . Comrades is my goal. I wont risk screwing it all up .

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Keep up the good work - the panic is good, its keeps me grounded but I add hyperventilating to the mix :D:D
    Have you entered already? You have a good few months training yet though don`t you?
    You`re coming along really well, getting your sub4hr marathon and consistent enough training.

In a funny kind of way the hip crisis on Sunday did me a huge favour in that I was able to target the exact spot that is causing all the trouble. It feels a bit tight on certain movemement but the referral to the knee and ankle has gone completely and it doesnt hurt now.

So I got up at 3am. Was only a half marathon so didnt bother trying to source breakfast - had a cereal bar and made my way down the road. Start was at 5.35am :eek: but we ended up standing around in the cold from nearly 4am . Things were brilliantly organised. Loads of loos , good baggage drop and at least 8 corrals down to 15mm paced runners/walkers.

There was a videolink to EYE-RAQ to the armed forces there , One Soldier was supposed to run the half with his wife in Disney but was sent to Iraq, so he organised a half marathon around the compound so they could both did it at the same time. Was a bit sad to hear his little girl say " I love you Daddy", when she might not see him again.There were a lot of military among the runners and there was huge support for them.There were a number of blind and disabled servicemen too. The American anthem was sung and with jets of lovely warm flames shot out the top of the starting gantry we were off.
    I couldnt believe how many supporters were standing all along the route in the cold and dark at 5.35. The Americans supersize everything , especially support for runners and this was a big party for them. There was music practically all around the route and plenty of Disney characters . Runners could stop and get their photos taken with them. There was ;powerade and water and more toilets at every mile and medical aid regularly too. tables of everything from vaseline and biofreeze to drugs!
    We started at Epcot car park and skirted the side of the park and headed to the Magic Kingdom. We ran around the MK and it was lovely with all the lights. It was FULL Of screaming people and there was a great atmosphere. Then pretty much back to the starting area.
    Good Jawhb everyone !!:rolleyes:

My plan was to take it very easy and see what the hip would do .I wanted to do both runs as training runs and not go too fast anyway. It felt very comfortable and my new runners were sheer delight to run in . They were well broken in walking around with the girls all week. I settled into a steady pace and without a hitch or a hiccup I finished in 2:07

13.1 2:07 9:43mm ( 148) 48% WHR

Third time lucky with this report!!!
    Abridged version this time around.

Similar start as Half but with additional fireworks accompanying the off for each separate corral until all 17,000 were off. Brilliant support including high school brass bands and cheerleaders all the way from about mile 2. Characters all along the route where people could stop and get their photos taken with them. All in all we went from park to park and all through each park being lauded like we had conquered Everest rather than run a few miles. One of the DJ's recognised me from the previous day's half , from my Irish tricolour vest. He said " I recognise you from yesterday ! I dunno , 26 miles isnt enough for some people , they have to do more than 39 over the weekend". I had such a laugh thinking about what he would think about Magnet!
    If I had a dollar for every time I heard "GO MIAMI"!! Er , colours are a bit smiliar right enough :rolleyes:. The runners passing me would say " GO IRISH".

I cant remember what miles we were at - about 21ish and I passed another medical aid table. Shouts of biofreeze, vaseline and then " anyone for Tylenol"?:eek: I couldnt believe my ears. Nothing like stressing the liver a bit more for the craic!!
    The sun was well up and it was getting warmer and I met up again with a Girl in Union Jack outfit . We jogged together for the last 5 or so miles so pace was easier as we just enjoyed the scenery and the atmosphere and with a final sprint we were over the line to collect the biggest medals I have ever collected.2:21
    I couldnt believe the hip held up as well. Its the first couple of runs since I jumped down the flight of steps at the end of the Venice marathon in October that I havent had some pain down the leg. I am so glad I have nearly cleared the problem area already. Great stuff.Feeling much more confident about the training facing me . GOOd Jawb!!

26.2 M 4:24 avg 9:55mm ( 158)/75% whr.
    First and second splits 2:21 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done, a half and a full marathon back to back. The one thing about running around Disney is that you are not sure if you are halucinating from exhaustion when you start seeing Mickey Mouse and Goofey at the sideline cheering people on! :D

Thats a great start to 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Good woman, and for the record I only ran 38miles last weekend so I better watch out...;)

Monday - no run
    Tuesday - no run
    Wednesday - no run
    Thursday - no run
    Friday - no run.

That has to constitute an easy and restful week. Going slowly mental.:( Think I will have to take a chance and go out tomorrow and Sunday.

Lay on hip Friday night so was too sore to run on Saturday but I was in Dublin on Sunday and as I was heading to the Laser clinic on Monday I thougth , what harm ;)

So 13 miles 2:10 I think. Baldoyle Church up to HOwth summit and down to the end of the pier and then back up again and back to Baldoyle.

BRill news today :D:D
    I pulled a piece of bone off my pelvis and there is still some fluid there. Most of it is gone compared with the week before the Disney weekend . Fair bit of gristle also from chronic poor repair. Got it zapped with the magic light . Ditto to Achilles . Easy runs for 10 days ...no mad mileage and no speedwork or hills and I should be good to go . Happy Days:D

Will be able to start strengthening when the pain starts to ease off. I knew it wasnt just a case of "weak abductors" although God knows they are pretty weakened after the last week or so .
    Guess the moral is ...dont jump down a flight of steps after running 26.1 miles when you can see the finish line in front of you :o
    Will take up the beginners schedule until I can lie on it and then will up the ante - seeing as it doesnt really hurt to run ... or is it just that I block it out ? Not sure.
    Comrades here I come :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I completely missed your Disney adventure. Congrats, I've wanted to do that weekend for AGES!

You still planning on going to Barcelona again?

YUp. sure am . The annniversary of our meeting on the airport bus :D.
    Will do it as a training run rather than a target race. Not worth having to taper up or down for it . I will go for the craic ;) and to see you getting your goal time this year.

• Advertisement

Second week doing nothing but by 9pm saturday night after domestic strife I galloped out of the house and did a pacy 8 miles in 1:08 including a warm up mile and an easy final one. Body behaved pretty well and I felt calmer by the time I got back. This IS why we run , isnt it?:rolleyes:

8M 1:08 8:30mm ( 174). MIddle miles at about 8mm.

Didnt get out til 2pm after slaving at housework all morning. Eventually tacked a hilly route. Well hillier than I always do .
    Did well running out but at turn around found myself into a strongish cold wind. Tired rapidly and ended up walking a fair bit of last few miles. Was a bit nervous about pushing on with the pace as I am only one week after treatment and have to be conservative after it. Was pi**ed off yesterday but today I see that it was a good training run as otherwise I probably wouldnt bother with walking practice and I need lots of that. Achilles and hip feel really good today.

18 M 3:03 10.21mm* ( 164)

Average pace for first 9 miles =9:32

Last Thursday did +1 mile of side steps too :o

Missed last two days. Didnt know what to today so ended up doing...
    4 milewarm up . 5-7 small hill repeats and a few spurts and 4 mile cool down.Kind of .

10.5M 1:35 9.06mm (168)WHR but did hit 98% on hill reps.

10.5M 1:39 9:30mm (155) 73%whr

Back to roads where I started off running a few years ago. Was nice running along the white line in the dark again just taking it as it came. Only 2 cars in over one hour and 40 mins. Christ how did I survive living so rural for so long.

Tough snorkel tired the legs before run. Took an undulating route but miscalculated the distance. Managed well on some hills.

14M 2:11 9.23mm (164) =80%HR

• Advertisement
Advertisement