Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confessions of a Comrade Cailin

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

YUp. sure am . The annniversary of our meeting on the airport bus :D.
    Will do it as a training run rather than a target race. Not worth having to taper up or down for it . I will go for the craic ;) and to see you getting your goal time this year.

IF I run Barca I'll be doing it for the craic too sadly. Won't be touching 3:40 at this stage of the year.

See ya over there. We have to have a proper, non tired, non depressed meeting. :) Where are you staying? Haven't sorted accommodation yet! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Cant remember if I booked accommodation yet. Will check Monday. I stayed in a hostel last year. Was great being able to go back and have a shower and kitchen access, and collect my bag after the run even though I had checked out.

Much easier than last week. Did exact same route so must have been a mistake to log it as 18 last week. Walked most of big hill but less walk breaks this time. Have changed hill technique and its working well.

20M 3:16 9.50mm (160)

Felt easier than last week. Also did the same route so must have made a mistake logging it as 18 last week. Doh! Walked all the big hill though. Overall a bit less walking.

20M 3:16 9:50mm (160)

Will log miles this year here as they keep dropping my miles on the other board

165 I think

Coudnt force myself out the door after work.:mad: But I had a good talk with myself and did manage to get out at 11pm in the horizontal driving rain and wind with no jacket. Was suppose to do hills but conditions were too bad to do in the dark. Weekend runs were hilly anyway so that shoud be ok.So did intervals instead. Havent done these in a while
    6 yassos. ( 800m's) avg 178 WHR
    7:04
    7:08
    7:25
    7:22
    7:36
    7:24
    plus warm up and cool down mile.
    Didnt realise I was dropping the pace so much. Will have to figure out a way to check it as I go ?? Couldnt see garmin in the rain while I was running. Heart rate was up at 90% for them anyway so was getting some benefit.
    Overall
    6.5M :57 8:54mm ( 163)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Just looking at your times and what I had said to your query on my log, you might be going out too fast for the first two intervals, bursting with energy, but running out of steam before the 3rd.

How do you warm up for the mile? any dynamic stretches or short bursts? What are you doing inbetween intervals? any light stretching?

Perhaps start off targeting 7:20 for the first two intervals, you might have more control regulating the pace for the other 4 intervals to hit 7.20.

You seem to suffer from the 'killer fifth interval' too. ;)

thanks Aiman for getting back to me on this.

I usually do dynamic stretches and then out the door. Jog down the road and after a mile I start the first one. I started counting my strides a few months ago when training for Florence so I know that about 350 is my 800m metres so I know how far I need to hang in to finish the distance before garmin beeps.
    Sometimes the road rises or falls a bit and this skews the times a bit . There was a very strong wind and horizontal rain last night so the runs into the rain were probably slower than those with the wind behind. Parts of the road are more puddly as well. I never know how long the intervals take until the workout is finished so I dont know after each blast whether I need to push it or steady it up. In between I jog very slowly or even walk a few steps and then as I get my breath back I jog a bit faster.
    Im not sure if I always start at the right time. Do you wait for the beeps to finish or go straight away?

I dont know, I dont set my watch up for intervals, I just use the running track to keep the distance consistant and hit the lap button as i cross the finish, rest, then hit it again to start a new running lap and run away. Plus, the beeper on the watch is knackered, so I cant use that function. :(

9pm 10.5 Miles 1:40 9;34mm (157) 75%whr.

same route as last week. 3 cars this time and one badger for company.
    Wanted to keep it easy enough and main efforts were small hills and into the wind. Hip behaving well. Now if I coud only get to lie on it. Achilles almost perfect again.

Weather forecast looked less drastic today so did longer run first.

22 Miles 3:32 9.40mm (160)

Continuning to do my new hilly route. Very little walking today. Got followed by black labrador ( different one from last time) and she stayed with me for 18 miles. Couldnt get rid of her. Stopped a few times to ask locals to hold onto her while I got away but she ended up with me time after time. I abandoned her back at my car about 4 miles from her home.

Didnt use ipod again. Kept repeating ( about 700 times,with each step) my new little song. It helps me hugely for all my long events and tough runs. I sing it while I feel strong and then again when I am struggling , my brain thinks im going great...

I'm a com rades ul tra run ner
    I am run ning fit and strong
    I can run hills all day long :o

Then on the short gasping steep hills its much easier...
    "Im strong on hills" repeated til I get up and over the top.

We slow people need all the help we can get - even if it is just from our own resources.:D

192. think i made a mistake last time? Its close enough anyway

• Advertisement

Tried out new route suggested by a patient. Uphill for a good slog - 2 miles up with no flat bits at all , it seemed anyway and quads pounding on the other side. Walked some of it for short periods. Explored a side route through a bog. Will go here again . Threw in a couple of short steep hills as well for good measure as i am finding it hard to do proper hill repeats in the dark on tuesdays. Tried to up the pace for the last 5 miles. Happy:D

15.5M 9.35mm ( 157) 2:28

You've certainly caught up on the miles again, fair play :)

Thanks Aiman- kiss of death.... did zero miles on monday and tuesday and am only back from wed night run now:( But at least I finally made it out.

Tried to do 2 mile intervals and managed 2 of these but last one I coul,d only do a single mile. Kept heart rate steady at 171-174 rather than judge by pace.Just went easy in between for a mile. Tired and hungry going out straight after working late.

9:11 (143)
    8:01 (168)
    8:10 (173)
    9:06 (164)
    7:48 (173)
    8:07 (173)
    9:11 (164)
    8:19 (172)
    9:24 (158)
    9:53 (154)

Overall 10M 1:27 8;43mm (163)

I am finding running reallly stressful at the moment. Not the actual running itself really, but trying to get the runs in . Im getting to the stage when I stress while out running about what I have to do when I get back and trying to work out when I can get other runs in and guilt about being out so long. If I wasnt running I wouldnt get a hundreth of the equivalent time to myself.
    I had a ball the last few weeks getting lovely medium and long runs in but the time off has come to haunt me now.The backlog is nearly suffocating me . The guilt is really piling up for even thinkiing about what I want to do at the weekend.
    The only run I got in this week was Wednesday and I didnt get back in til around midnight. Tonight I wont get out til after 9. I dont mind running at night as I am too stiff to go early morning and I worry that I wont get back in time to get kids to school/ready for work/ etcetc or that I will be too tired at the end of the day to concentrate properly at work. At least at night - i have no pressure . I only have to wash and go to bed.

Work and home is suffering majorly. I didnt even manage to get messages off work answering machine yet, since last weekend even though it is full ;and a cleaning lady I am trying to convince to do a few hours for me was horriffied when she saw the state of the house.
    Kids are no help although I am blue in the face trying to get them to pull their weight. Sometimes I figure in the interest of peace and harmony to just shut up and put up.

Im sure most people struggle to fit in runs but I just feel so despondent tonight cos I just cant figure out how to make the pieces all fit together. I guess thats the psychological aspect to running .

Well , sigh and big breath. I better just HTFU and Shut TFU and get ready to go out after I collect the kids later. NO one has a gun to my head to make me do it . I do it cause I choose to.

If anyone is following my log - BIG SORRY for having off loaded/dumped all this negativity on you.

Log will resume as normal later :o

Okie Dokey. First thing to remember is that running is for fun, even if you are training for the Comrades. Sounds like you are getting into a vicious circle of running taking up a lot of time, not having time for other things, then getting stressed during your runs because you have so much to do.

If your training plan is taking up too much of your time, you might need to re-evaluate the schedule and try to come up with a compromise thats not too demanding on time. Look at your long and short runs, speed work etc and decide what benefit you are getting out of it and whether you could scale back on some of them. Are the LSRs too long? can you achieve a reasonable performance on race day by doing less? Review your goal and perhaps decide on a plan with less miles to suit the rest of life. Don't panic if you miss some day's running. If you catch up on all the other stuff, you'll have a better frame of mind heading out on the road. A few miles feeling good is better then a lot of miles with too many distracting thoughts running through your head (Junk Miles). Psychologically, if you spend too much time stressing and running, your mind will start making the association and you'll be less enthusiastic for the next run.

If you look at the spectrum of runners, from the full time 100+ a week athletes to people who get by on 20-30 miles a week, put them in the same race, they will probably all finish the race (injuries excluded) but what may be different is their performance during it and their condition after it, but they still get it done.

What you need to work out is where do you fit into the Spectrum of runners. If if makes more sense to trim back on the miles so that your work / life balance is better managed, you might just have to compromise the quality of the race and the possibility of walking like John Wayne for a little longer after it.

If running is getting in the way of the rest of your life, it might need to be adjusted otherwise it will get you down and you'll lose interest, so perhaps adapt it to things and catch up on all the other stuff and you'll be back to enjoying running and the only thought in your head will be what's the next song to be played on 'Shuffle Mode'

Unless you want to take the alternative solution and sell the kids, hit 'delete all' on the Answering machine and leave the house untidy and tell visitors that you have just been burgled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

As an alternative point of view...doing comrades is a biggie, you've committed to it, you're going to give it your best shot so from now till then you'll need to organise your life around that. So maybe just write down all the things that need to happen to make that a reality, sort out the cleaner - they really shouldn't need convincing! routine for kids, remote dialing into
    your answering machine, hire a treadmill, whatever needs to happen - don't let this stuff get in the way - focus on the goal.

Major thanks guys. MAJOR:)
    Aiman I had a major think going to bed last night about what you said. I think the running is what is enabling me to keep the whole show on the road and even though it is self indulgent , it is the only think I have for me.I have been trying to find how to make it all fit together. Asimonov I am going to give Comrades my best shot. It will make me feel like I am worth something- to finish it .
    I have come up with some solutions...:D
    • Do the four runs a week. Dont fret it they are all bunched together THurs, Friday , saturday , sunday. Its not ideal but at least I can usually manage that . Any extra will be a bonus. I will enjoy them. I deserve them and I need them for the sense of achievement I get.
    • Kids are going to childminder after school 2 days out of the five. I will continue to collect and feed them another 2 days and the final day they can sort themselves out. Unless I can get the social worker to rehouse them .;)
    • Going to get a cleaner for home and work twice a week for a few hours.
    • Going to take a half day off work each week for admin. No feeling sorry for patients in strife, even if they have a migraine/busted back etc.
    • Husband will have to take children more. One Saturday every 5 weeks is not sufficient.
    • Will only lecture and instruct every second weekend with diving club until trainees hit the water. Will still have to go in the sea weekly until they are safe enough to double up with just one instructor.
      So thats it.
    I had a superb run this morning. Route suggested by patient. Stunningly scenic. Cant wait to go back . Was tough after the turn around as the wind had really picked up. It even looks like Connemara so will be good prepration for that as well. Some walking but not a lot.

26M 4:17 9;54mm (158)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Didnt use ipod again. Kept repeating ( about 700 times,with each step) my new little song. It helps me hugely for all my long events and tough runs. I sing it while I feel strong and then again when I am struggling , my brain thinks im going great...

I am run ning fit and strong
    I can run hills all day long :o

Then on the short gasping steep hills its much easier...
    "Im strong on hills" repeated til I get up and over the top.

I was quoting this on our group run this morning (though I couldn't rememeber the words). It really gave me a chuckle last night when I read it. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

HTT - My tuppence worth for what it is worth.
    In a years time or even ten years or when you are very old when you look back on 2011, you wont be remembering untidy houses, cleaners, domestic issues etc
    What you will remember will be Comrades and Belfast 2011 (If you do it) etc and the experiences lived and gained in these events.
    So dont let a bit of dust & untidyness & domestic issues stop you achieving what you want to do.
    What some people (especially non-runners) might see as self-indulgent is often the runner preserving sanity.

• Advertisement

I asked the question as I was going out the door into the dark , horizontal rain and cold wind... remind me again why I am doing this?
    A shout came from upstairs from my 13 year old-COS YOU DONT WANT TO DIE DOING COMRADES!

That did it ;)

Figured tempo runs were more use to me than intervals generally so,I did :
    1 mile warm up , then 6 tempo at near 10k pace ( I think ) have only done 1 10k about a year ago. and 2 cool down.

10M 1:16 8:27mm (171) 85% WHR

9:21(167) 8:05(168) 7:59(175) 8:00(176) 8:07(175) 8:14(176)
    7:47(180) 9:20(164) 9:15(162)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Just curious but what plan are you following?

er,:o I have studied so many of them that I wasnt sure which to go with. ( various comrades schedules, new zealand ultra runners 100k, hal higdon etc) UP to the end of February the goal is to finish a marathon so I am kind of winging it until the beginning of March when I see how various runs are working out .
    So in the meantime ...One of the comrades coaches said that there were a few key runs which had to be done , and when they should be done so I put them into the calendar first. The 65k run was a couple of weeks after Connemara , so I just swopped them. I cant manage back to backs every weekend so I am doing a longer run on the one day as I need to practice some walking as welland as I can manage to run both long days I need to be forced a bit to walk. This isnt happening more than once or twice though.
    Most of the schedules are pretty much the same. I am struggling to get any hill reps done in the dark nights so am trying to get my long runs as hilly as possible .
    Still trying to do one tempo or speedier session in so that I dont end up getting too slow.
    Medium run and other runs are done easy, allowing the heart rate to go up a bit on the hills
    Going a lot by what body feels up to and what I can squeeze into a hectic life at the moment.
    There is an "ask the coach" forum on the comrades site , and he has suggested some tweaks but has said it is fine

26 M on hillyish route. Had a bit of a break , due to poor geography- and relocation of starting point- after about 10 miles. But got it done anyway with a few short stops where I didnt stop timer.

Overall 26M 4:14 9:48mm ( 159).

Sounds to me like you do a lot and close to too much. I'd forget about the yassos and don't run too long too often. It's important to get the balance which includes rest and recovery. You can only do what you can do.

Thanks WW. Really appreciate your advice.
    Will cut out interval stuff.
    Any other specific guidelines? Keep long run on Saturdays and perhaps long walk Sundays instead? Its a bit easier for me to do the longer one on the Saturday rather than the Sundays even though they suggest the other way around to get used to going on tired legs.
    Midweek , I usually only get out once or maybe twice beween Sunday and following weekend.
    For the next two weekends I am only doing one long run each weekend .
    So far I havent an ache in the muscles on the Mondays or following days.

• Advertisement

Forgot to take garmin.
    So did what I have been tempted to do for ages.... just find a road and follow it wherever it goes, all those small signposts I usually have to pass by , wondering where they lead to .
    Had no watch or anything and just bimbled along.Got followed by black dog for a short while but I took him back to his house and opened the back door and put him in .Didnt want dog stress today !
    Lovely scenery but windy on higher ground. Walked a bit and ate a bit and generally had a really lovely time.This running lark can be so pleasurable .:D Legs not a bother so it was a big surprise to check mapmyrun when I got back to see I had clocked 20. I didnt think that I had been out for more than about 90 minutes. Could have gone on for longer.
    According to the clock on the car it was about 2:50 ish.
    Must leave garmin at home more often .;)
    Got this evenings lecture on gas laws practised and downt to a T. I hope they are not as boring as they can be. That must have kept the brain occupied for a good while.

20m 2;50ish

Found this ...

Check out the elevation.http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/20203234

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thought I might do a bit of a marathon pace run but during the first mile the legs felt heavy and I hadnt had that feeling for a long time so I reckoned they were tired although they felt fine. Did 6 easy instead. Will take it easy and rest up a bit this week as already planned.

6M :59 9:50mm I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

That 26 mile run was done at a good old clip. How far are you going in training for comrades?

Don OLiver , one of the former official comrades coaches recommends 2 regular marathons and a 50k 56k and a 65K ( pretty much 31, 35 and 40 in old money ) in the last 11 weeks of training.

So inbetween that I am doing back to backs mostly. Occasional one long weekend run to get used to time on feet , and doing walking , which I dont normally bother with .
    Hal Higdon and NZ ultrarunners 100k are very similar with back to backs working up to 3/4 hours saturday and 4/5 hours sunday but I cant see myself doing more than 26/20's on the doubles give or take a few miles. Im not chopping and changing the different schedules as there is logic to the structure of them individually but up to the end of February they are aimed at finishing a marathon and the ultra part doesnt start until the beginning of March.
    I am finding the long runs very pleasurable and easy enough.'m quite slow generally but I dont really care as long as I dont get injured.
    During the week is a bit more tricky and I havent got anythign near enough in hills done yet. WIll have to get the finger out after Barcelona for that.
    Am following you with great admiration. You are flying along. Will enjoy that celebratory beer with you after your 3:0?

• Advertisement

Thats some long runs. All the best with that. Would love 3.09 alright. I have sub 3.15 so im not interested in that. Got to nearly 20 miles at 3.09 pace in edinburgh last may and started to feel bad (27 degree heat). I could have Slowed 30 secs a mile and got 3.14 but went for 3.10 100% and got 3.18. I have the same tactics this time. 3.09 or 3.20, 3.40 its all good once i finish in one piece and know i gave 100%.

Hal Higdon and NZ ultrarunners 100k are very similar with back to backs working up to 3/4 hours saturday and 4/5 hours sunday

Cheers for the tip, I'll have to check out the NZ100k plan, I'll need it for Portumna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I asked the question as I was going out the door into the dark , horizontal rain and cold wind... remind me again why I am doing this?
    A shout came from upstairs from my 13 year old-COS YOU DONT WANT TO DIE DOING COMRADES!

So, im 29 and dont have a 13 year old but I've totally stolen that motivation. Everytime I slowed during an (intentionally fast) bike ride today, legs were tiring and I was settling into a comfortable pace I sped up. Why? "Because you dont want to die doing [my next big adventure]". Same thing happened in the pool lastnight.

Hope you get your plan into action and destress life; sounds like you've been juggling too much and hoping it would all come right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done today again. You did great. Some serious improvements from you this year aswell.

Check on those flights and let me know if you're on my ones, twould be great to have some company at the airport/on the plane/as I try to find my way around Barca at night when the only language that pops into my head to respond with when people talk to me is a strange mixture of Irish and French... :pac:

Nice to meet you today and well done on a great performance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done on a great win......

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done on a great win......
    +1
    You gave me a run for my money when I spotted you on the last lap at the 3rd hill catching up. Great running.

Menoscemo. Who were you ? I am more confused than ever about people from boards. I really enjoyed meeting you all and all credit to Anto and his team. Great Jawb guys!:D
    Will just have to go again and figure it out next time.;)

Couldnt believe that I was going to be doing this. I had planned a 50k this weekend but a run/walk to get time on the feet . The 5 hour cutoff had me very very worried I must admit. When I did Portumna last June it was 5:17 finish. I know Ultraman wouldnt drag me off the course but I didnt want everyone to be packed up and gone and some poor unfortunate to be left standing waiting for me .So I adjusted target for a sub 5 finish and hoped to God I wouldnt make a fool of myself or get in the way of everyone else who seemed to be pretty speedy. The "what am I doing here " thought came around many times.

I felt very nervous at the beginning and I had a worse than usual dose of verbal diarrhoea :o. Was great to chat to Magnet and others who were really calm and steady. Wounded knee advised me on trying to keep a steady consistency watching lap times. Wasnt really sure how to go about this. I never know what time I have done until it is actually done so I wouldnt have the faintest notion that i need to adjust pace until it is too late.I can manage on mile laps with an occasional look at current pace. I guess I need to sort that out . I never know on a marathon either what my time will be until I cross the line. Doh!
    Usually have garmin on mile laps so tried to adjust that for 3 mile laps. And off we went. Well off they went ....like balls out of a cannon and I trundled along at the back just trying to keep it steady. I got a bit confused trying to monitor the laptimes- which arent the exact same as 5km marks so decided to keep the heart rate steady instead and pace would look after itself. I am used to running alone so that didnt bother me and it was fab to see the faster runners running so well when they passed me .

Laps went kind of like
    27:25
    27:37
    27:42
    27:43
    28:19 (loo)
    29:28 ( stop at table to sort clothes pinned together and grab a bar!)
    26:22

garmin died and went back to default time and date. Then it got a second wind after a few miles and it restarted although there was no display.I think I went through marathon distance while it was off but I didnt know where and when I was at it.

28:59
    28:53
    19:52

Christiaan kept me company for his last lap , my second last and we pushed on, keeping each other going and then the final lap I caught sight of someone ahead. I decided to try and catch up with him or at least close the gap but he seemed to get further away. I suspected he had spotted me and was doing sneaky little sprints when out of sight .;)I reeled him in a bit and there was just part of the length of the finishing straight at the end so I just pushed on for the last few metres. Happy days.:D

Last person but sub 5. Whoohoo. Time was 4:54 i think. 23minute PB
    The first and only time I will be first woman ......Due 100% to a starting pack of - er - 3, and the other pair retiring early from the race .
    Fair dues Magnet , you covered a great distance so soon after 24.

Oisin , RQ, Ultraman and the team at the table , you were very encouraging and I never felt from the start that my slower effort wasnt also valid. Thanks so much for that.

50K 4:54 (157) 75% HRR/WHR for what was recorded 9:20 pace?

Menoscemo. Who were you ? I am more confused than ever about people from boards. I really enjoyed meeting you all and all credit to Anto and his team. Great Jawb guys!:D
    Will just have to go again and figure it out next time.;)

Couldnt believe that I was going to be doing this. I had planned a 50k this weekend but a run/walk to get time on the feet . The 5 hour cutoff had me very very worried I must admit. When I did Portumna last June it was 5:17 finish. I know Ultraman wouldnt drag me off the course but I didnt want everyone to be packed up and gone and some poor unfortunate to be left standing waiting for me .So I adjusted target for a sub 5 finish and hoped to God I wouldnt make a fool of myself or get in the way of everyone else who seemed to be pretty speedy. The "what am I doing here " thought came around many times.

I felt very nervous at the beginning and I had a worse than usual dose of verbal diarrhoea :o. Was great to chat to Magnet and others who were really calm and steady. Wounded knee advised me on trying to keep a steady consistency watching lap times. Wasnt really sure how to go about this. I never know what time I have done until it is actually done so I wouldnt have the faintest notion that i need to adjust pace until it is too late.I can manage on mile laps with an occasional look at current pace. I guess I need to sort that out . I never know on a marathon either what my time will be until I cross the line. Doh!
    Usually have garmin on mile laps so tried to adjust that for 3 mile laps. And off we went. Well off they went ....like balls out of a cannon and I trundled along at the back just trying to keep it steady. I got a bit confused trying to monitor the laptimes- which arent the exact same as 5km marks so decided to keep the heart rate steady instead and pace would look after itself. I am used to running alone so that didnt bother me and it was fab to see the faster runners running so well when they passed me .

Laps went kind of like
    27:25
    27:37
    27:42
    27:43
    28:19 (loo)
    29:28 ( stop at table to sort clothes pinned together and grab a bar!)
    26:22

garmin died and went back to default time and date. Then it got a second wind after a few miles and it restarted although there was no display.I think I went through marathon distance while it was off but I didnt know where and when I was at it.

28:59
    28:53
    19:52

Christiaan kept me company for his last lap , my second last and we pushed on, keeping each other going and then the final lap I caught sight of someone ahead. I decided to try and catch up with him or at least close the gap but he seemed to get further away. I suspected he had spotted me and was doing sneaky little sprints when out of sight .;)I reeled him in a bit and there was just part of the length of the finishing straight at the end so I just pushed on for the last few metres. Happy days.:D

The first and only time I will be first woman ......Due 100% to a starting pack of - er - 3, and the other pair retiring early from the race .
    Fair dues Magnet , you covered a great distance so soon after 24.

Oisin , RQ, Ultraman and the team at the table , you were very encouraging and I never felt from the start that my slower effort wasnt also valid. Thanks so much for that.

50K 4:54 (157) 75% HRR/WHR for what was recorded 9:20 pace?
    Great running and last woman standing:D

and then the final lap I caught sight of someone ahead. I decided to try and catch up with him or at least close the gap but he seemed to get further away. I suspected he had spotted me and was doing sneaky little sprints when out of sight .;)I reeled him in a bit and there was just part of the length of the finishing straight at the end so I just pushed on for the last few metres. Happy days.:D

Yep, that was me. As soon as you were out of sight on the corners, I was putting everything into making a gap. Every time I came around the last corner, I was delighted to see the tent, was a shock to see it was already dismantled on the run to the finish line.

Well done on the run. Nice distance leading up to Connemara

• Advertisement

Thanks Aiman, I was so glad to see that there were still people there, tent or no tent >LOL

Menoscemo. Who were you ? I am more confused than ever about people from boards.

I was the guy with the boards vest, white hat and Glasses. I was chatting to you just before the race in the Gym. See you next week in Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done on getting well under five hours hot to trot, great run from you:)

You weren't last in the race, usually people who DNF (I was one) are listed behind those who cross the finish line, you certainly finished the race before this starter.;)

Will have to stalk the photos to put names and faces together.
    Donot , was that you who did the Kent ultra last week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Will have to stalk the photos to put names and faces together.
    Donot , was that you who did the Kent ultra last week?

far from it, never done an Ultra at all! In the photo's, I'm in a Boards vest, sunglasses and black beanie cap. Best of luck in Barca.:)

Well done you! It's not easy passing the finish line knowing others have finished and you still have a lap or 2 to go but they're the laps that count! Thats when the mind gets stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done girl. Great going. Yoe were looking very relaxed and consistant throughout
    I said hi a few times going round:)

Totally confused now. I thought Abhainn was a female.:confused: Er, which one were you ? I can identify you all from the rear :D.

Thank you ,it was nice to get encouragment on the way around as being lapped was the only time I saw other runners. Great running all around from the guys.

First run last night. was dying to get out Sunday as legs were fine.
    did 6 miles with a few spurts in the middle. Heart rate was low throughout. I dont think I would have managed to get to 85% effort as my 10k pace still had me at 70% effort.

6M :53 ( 148)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Totally confused now. I thought Abhainn was a female.:confused: Er, which one were you ? I can identify you all from the rear :D.

Thank you ,it was nice to get encouragment on the way around as being lapped was the only time I saw other runners. Great running all around from the guys.

[/B]

Ahh totally male me. :)
    I was running in group of 4 with Woundedknee when we passed you. I was in white singlet had black shorts

• Advertisement

Ah yes, I remember the shorts well ;)

Advertisement