Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confessions of a Comrade Cailin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Just missed my flight to Barcelona by a whisker. Got to Longford when I realised I didnt have my passport. By the time I got it and got back to airport carpark it was 5.15 for a 5.50 flight. Long wait for carpark bus to take off . Wouldnt have made it through security. Feckedy feck.

so , its either run 26.2 here and try not feel totally stupid in an Irish vest and white skirt or fork out 214 euro for a flight tomorrow and go after all. NOt sure what to do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

So did you make it to Barcelona in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Heard you ran a PB in Galway. Well done. Barcelona will still be there next year.

Debated whether to go or not on a transfer ticket , ( thanks for the offer lads) for one night or stay put. When I got to Dublin I went for something to eat and a few drinks, Had a sleep in the car and then met a friend and went on the beer. Got to bed at 1am and didnt sleep much, so at 5am I thought I might as well head for Galway. Struggled to stay away on the way down but scoffed a scone and had lots of fluids.

Met a bunch of 10 runners in Salthill on a beautiful hazy morning with zero wind.Temperature was 8-10 degrees and my first time in shorts this year. Comrades coach said that I could push the pace a bit for this marathon as I wasnt going to do a back to back long run this weekend and it was still far enough out to give it a bit of a blast ...but not to go eyeballs out for a PB.

I felt a bit ropey in the stomach but there was zero pressure and I planned on an enjoyable training run. And off we went. Nice and steady with plenty of chat if you wanted it . I thought the lads were a tad to quick for me after the first couple of miles so I let them run on although they never strayed too far ahead. My heart rate was still very comfortable at this point so I was happy enough that I was coping.
    At mile 7 -I thought I was going to puke, I wasnt sure was I still a bit drunk or just a hangover kicking in . All the giggling around of my giblets was having an ill effect all the same. I knew a gel would make me sick so I had a kelloggs elevenses bar with me for half way and I took it then as I thought solid food might help. It certainly did . I had also bought some of the lemon sis powder mix to make a drink (tried it after the 50 k last weekend) and which went down very well and I sipped regularly at that too.
    I was thoroughly enjoying myself and apart from a quick P stop behind a wall i kept going to the turnaround point. Then straight back running and chatting with a few others . I felt a bit tired and thought Id suck on a gel for a bit. It must have done the job as I had struggled to stay with one of the guys and before long I had passed him and a few others on the way. As the race went on I felt stronger and stronger and by mile 22 the heart rate was starting to up a notch but the legs werent having any problem. I was afraid I had missed/would miss the turn back to the final leg of the route as there was no one in front to follow at that stage. But even if I had to run excess miles , it would all be useful for the big C so I wasnt worried apart from the fact that I might get lost.
    Mile 25 , finally the turn, and I headed up towards the last stretch. I upped the pace a bit and kept going. I really should get used to looking at the clock when I run, I didnt think to look at the turn around point or again heading into the last mile. It was only when I finished at a pb of 3:57:12 ( whoohoo) that I knew there is better time still available in the old doll yet.
    It was one of the most enjoyable marathons I have done and I dont feel cheated for not going to Barcelona. I dont think I would have had as good a run there .
    A Small field of 10 and being left to your own devices in a completely relaxed atmosphere , devoid of any external stress or pressure and running with like minded individuals doing what they love, just suited me down to the ground. Cant wait to go back for more.
    Just dying to hear all the Barcelona race reports now.

3:57:12 26.2 M ( 160) WHR/HRR~77%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB and fair play for finding an alternative marathon at short notice. Barcelona is too hot anyway, you're better off here in the colder climate :D

• Advertisement

Legs were a bit restless after all the driving this weekend and seeing as there was no after effects of yesterday decided to go for a little jog.

6M 9.54mm :59 (143) /65%

Couldnt find the workout suggested by WK when I was leaving work . Knew there was some 85% work in it , so I did warm up of 6 miles before I remembered the tempo stuff so I threw in 3 miles at 85% with about a minute or two rest in between, then jogged home the rest.

Overall 10.32 avg pace 8:58 ( 156)

Decided to do a loop in the town with a smallish hill,( hardly a hill at all really but the only one with streetlight) as I forgot my headtorch .After a number of loops I got fed up dodging around people, avoiding car doors opening in front of me and crossing roads . I had planned for longer and was in the mood but when I got to 7 miles I just couldnt face any more.

7M 1:04 9:17mm ( 153)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats on the new PB and with a hangover :eek: I thought I was mad for having a few drinks in barca on the friday night, but didn't dare the night before. I reckon you would have went even faster in barca.

With all the marathons you are doing, have you ever considered pacing a few? I'd say a bit of 4:30 pacing would suit you perfectly, great to get the long runs in but as part of a big city marathon atmosphere...

Quiet at work this week due to phone out of action. So few appointments. ducked out for a run early afternoon. 2 deg, wet and miserable. Forgot gloves and I barely warmed up for the whole run.
    Listened to Prof Noakes on marathon talk podcast while running. Was interested to hear him say that you need to cover 2/3rds of your target distance in training , ideally. When asked about splitting a 8 hour on the feet walk/run versus a back to back approach , he said that you need to train your brain to keep you going through the boredom and ache etc and that if 10 hours was your race target that only running regular 5's was going to prove tough on the day .
    Also about the run walk strategy , which he felt was vital for 5 hour marathonnners or long events.... a routine of 3,6,9 followed by 1 mile walk , whichever suited. He said that you needed to walk the full mile to really get the benefit rather than just a few minutes. YOu will be as fresh as when you started if you do this.
    Interesting to listen to on many fronts. worth Downloading

10.7M 1:44 9:45mm (151) 70%

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Congrats on the new PB and with a hangover :eek: I thought I was mad for having a few drinks in barca on the friday night, but didn't dare the night before. I reckon you would have went even faster in barca.

With all the marathons you are doing, have you ever considered pacing a few? I'd say a bit of 4:30 pacing would suit you perfectly, great to get the long runs in but as part of a big city marathon atmosphere...

I usually have a drink or two the night or two before a marathon as I rarely get away from home on my own and really want to make the most of it .I think it might effect elites but at my end of the pack , it doesnt really matter. I dont usually get to drink after as I normally have to drive back.

I wouldnt be able to pace anything other than 5 hour I dont think. Also I wouldnt be able to guarantee a complete run without a loo stop. I'd freak with all those people following me as well.:eek: So ,I dont think Im your man. But how flattering nonetheless:P

Forced myself up early and got out to do the reverse run of my new favourite ultra scenic location. There was snow all over the place but it hadnt stuck on the road surface thankfully. 1 degree and dry starting off.
    Ran up the first hill ( hadnt managed it before ) and enjoyed the awesome snowy scenery, wanted to go to the shop at half way so I had to go an extra mile. Decided I needed to practice walking hills so I tried to do that on the way back. Blimey its hard on the calf muscles. Will have to do LOADS more of this as I will have 5 biggies to walk on the day. once I got to the top of the last hill , the hail on the other side was violent , I though id end up with a head like a golfball it was so hard and sore but thankfully by the time I galloped to the bottom , it was soft snow. Was thoroughly soaked and cold by the end.
    Legs feel fine after scaldy hot shower.I must be doing some thing right:)

28M (153) 4;19 for 25.5 miles before garmin died.

Recovery run, 10 flat miles. Calf muscles were tight today for the first time in months and months- I reckon it was the walking . Not used to that. Will have to do some walking only sessions I think.
    Weather still crappy, hailstones and almost gale force winds. At one stage I didnt even know was I moving forward , when heading into the wind. Cant be too many crappy days left :)
    Anyone know what kind of weather has been organised for Connemara:rolleyes:

10M 1:37 9:47mm ( 147= 68%)

They were a couple of good runs over the weekend. Well done. The good thing about training in such bad conditions is that if the weather is bad on the race day, you'll have been through it already

Annoyed that I didnt get out yesterday but probably was for the best as shins were tender for a few days after walking on Saturday.
    Didnt manage to get out til 10pm. Was a beautiful warm sunny day earlier . Couldnt believe my luck that it started to rain 10 mins into my run. Grrr
    3 mile warm up , 3 miles at 85% then another 3 cool down. Soaked and cold so went home then.

Overall 9 M 1:23 9:13mm ( 157)-

Had massive feed and ended up going for a run almost immediately afterwards. There is no smilie to describe how ugh I felt . I decided to start the run /walk strategy at last and the slow run suited my guts.
    Did one mile followed by a minute walk. Ten times. Dont think it slowed me much overall but the heart rate stayed very low throughout. Will try to incorporate this for all my remaining long runs and see how it works out.
    Sunny and dry , couldnt belive it . Whoohoo:D
    Another flat run though.

10M 1:41 9:40mm ( 146) 67% whr/hrr

Tried running earlier this week on a full stomach after dinner, not fun, running or walking.

Have you sorted out a pace for Connemara yet?

Have you sorted out a pace for Connemara yet?

I will be doing it as a training run so likely something similar to what I have started to do ..run one mile and walk one minute right from the start. Will also need to practice walking the bigger hills so will end up close to a 10mm probably ( or maybe upwards from 9.40?). Not worth wrecking myself going for a good time with Comrades being my main target. The slower the better as I need time on my feet really.
    Im quite a bit slower than you . I wouldnt dream of ever being able to target a 3.30

Hit the roads in Connemara today. Did 5 miles before the gang arrived and then bussed to the start of the marathon. Did the walk /run thing and didnt find it so bad. Dont think it really slows you , surprisingly enough as you can run faster for the rest of the mile and the lowering of the heart rate seems to stop eating into the glycogen reserves. For all the miles I did today , my legs dont feel too bad.
    So did the marathon and then when I got to Peakocks I turned around and went back up the hill and reran back down to finish my target of 56k/35 miles. Ended up being .7 over but was too hungry and thirsty to be bothered rounding it up to the 36!

35.7M 5:55 9:57mm (152)=71%

Legs felt fine all day with zero stiffness so after dithering all day I went out for a fun run. Was lashing down a small road singing my head off and playing air guitar when I encountered a cloud of small flies. Unfortunately I didnt plan on going far enough to bring water so was coughing and chewing on them for another mile or two. Didnt start to feel tired until about mile 9 and then not by much so finished with a final easy mile.
    Pace was much faster but still within recovery heart range. Guess yesterday exercised the slow twitch fibres and today the few faster twitch that I have ;)

10M 1:28 8:48 (153) 71%

Might revisit the 1000 mile board and see how I am fixed for an update

Might revisit the 1000 mile board and see how I am fixed for an update

let me know if you need any help ;)

• Advertisement

5 x 1 mile at 86% and 1:20 minute breaks in between; with warm up and cool down 3 + miles. Legs tired at the end.
    1:17 8:68M

Did you figure out the autolap and average lap pace on the garmin to record the time etc for each interval?

Looked at them when I got back. Decided to go with the heart rate effort. The pace isn't really that important , Not sure I could have run any faster per mile anyway. Road wasnt flat and had to go through the odd electronic gate so they were:
    7:30
    7:38
    7:43
    7:46

Looked at them when I got back. Decided to go with the heart rate effort. The pace isn't really that important , Not sure I could have run any faster per mile anyway. Road wasnt flat and had to go through the odd electronic gate so they were:
    7:38
    7:46

Thats a good pace and you probably arent even up near lactate threshold. Its more of a matter of getting the body used to running at that pace by repeating that same session a few times. Then as the body learns to cope with it, you should find the capacity to bring up the pace a bit more. Throw in a few short races too, to see what you can do under race conditions, the road race season is under way, You can throw a stone and hit a cheap road race these days.

Is the 71% based on Maximum Heart Rate or Heart Rate Reserve?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Looked at them when I got back. Decided to go with the heart rate effort. The pace isn't really that important

A wise decision because as you get fitter you need to work harder to get into the same HR zone so your pace will get faster as you get fitter. Let it happen..

Ran along the canal path near Killucan towards Mullingar. Was lovely but hadnt bargained for how much earlier the light disappears compared with the Western seaboard so had to turnaround at half way and come back in the dark with no head torch. Pace was upped on the way back to get home quicker.Was comfortable throughout. Overall then ..

11M 1:38 8:58mm (154)..... 65% outward, 75% homeward

Was asked to accompany visitor home from USA on a run . Took her to my current favourite spot as she said she was happy to do hills. Er... very scenic but she was shocked at the effort required so we walked a lot. Slowest and easiest run ever but it is so pretty and walking is good training so happy out.

Had a lot of muscles releases and core balancing done on a work course this week. With deep structures and diaphragm and abdominals , hips and legs all released and balancing corrections done I was rock steady in my middle and felt so easy to breath very deeply. Totally physically grounded.

10M 1:58 11:49mm (136) 59%

Well after last weks run my foot was very tender. I think I hurt it /bruised it on a stone in Donadea . It didnt stop me running but never went away either. So I did absolutely nothing on it this week except walk and stand at work and cart boxes and bags up and down stairs for hours moving house.
    It was no better or worse at the end of the week so thought I might as well go back running. Confidence had got very low.

So Did 10.5 miles. easy enough pace but the heart rate I know must have been higher and the effort a fair bit more than if I hadnt taken the week off. couldnt find hear rate strap in the move.
    10.5M 1:36 9:12mm

Went out again this evening , bit worried after yesterdays effort . Decided to try the run/ walk again. Ended up in much better form. Was faster than running alone. Really enjoyed the run along the North mayo coast.

11M 1:39 9:03mm (150) 70%

Foot no worse after it , so think I may just take a few pills this week and leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Thursday 7th April
    7.5M 1:06 8:53mm ( 161)

bit of an effort to get going after very little running the last two weeks but loosened up at the end.

Sunday 10th April Connemara Ultra

39.5 M 6:45 , 10.15 mm ( 155) 73% WHR/HRR Will do race report later

Monday 11th April
    5.5M :51 9:15mm ( 141) enjoyed this easy run. No aches or pains or stiffness after yesterday so I guesss the walk/ run strategy did its thing.
    :)

Thursday 14th April
    12M 1:40 Forgot garmin. Upped the pace in the second half. Foot a bit tender still. I couldnt get my head around Eddie in ICU and found it very hard to work this week. Somehow a blast around the roads just helped a bit and was more settled when I got back.

Saturday 16th April 10pm
    Didnt get out yesterday as toenail blisters needed to be drained again and toes were bright red from the pressure and throbbing like mad. Figured better to sort them and just run freely at the weekend.
    so, 17M in the dark 2:38 9:20mm ( 148) <70%

Sunday 17th April
    Back to my favourite route with the hills but did a bit of a detour and found another exquisitely stunning scene at the back of one of the hills as well. Imagined I was with Eddie and was showing him around and enjoying the run together. Im sure he would have left me for dead in the last few miles as the two hills on the way back had me doing lots of walk practice. Average pace for the run dropped after mile 18 from 9.35mm to over 10mm. Temperature had gone from 18 degrees at the start to 7 at the end in the dark and I was freezing.
    ( How do you manage to get your garmin route up on boards?)
    25.5M 4:19 10.10mm ( 154)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dats a whole lotta runnin dere h2t,u must be really confidant about comrades now...

Go to here and create an account and hit the upload button. You'll get all your stats etc. Then cut and paste the web page for that run into your post as a link.

Alternatively, you can go to MapMyRun and do the same, which ever suits.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dats a whole lotta runnin dere h2t,u must be really confidant about comrades now...

+1, there's going to be a lot of people in your dust on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some fab mileage hottotrot. Great prep for comrades. Just reading the comrades website, sounds like a tough course, but hugely rewarding.
    You can just paste the link from the Garmin Connect website.

If you want to be really posh, you can highlight some text, then click on the [Insert link] icon, when you're writing your post, and then paste the link into the window that opens up. The [Insert Link] icon looks looks a blue globe/circle, with a chain link pasted over it. HTH.

If you want to be really posh, you can highlight some text, then click on the [Insert link] icon,

H2T doesnt do posh. You should have seen what she wrapped her Food Supplies in for Connemara to stop them getting pinched. I'd have loved to have seen peoples expressions when they were searching through the tables. Was a very clever idea though. :D

Lead up
    Running had been going pretty well apart from a sore foot I picked up in Donadea when i stood on a stone. I rested it for a full week before Connemara but it was no better so managed a run or two just to loosen up in the days before the race. I had practiced a run walk of one mile run /one minute walk in three training runs and was happy with that as the legs feel as fresh the following day and I can continue to train. Id love to have a go to see what I could run it at, but it was a training run for Comrades so no point in losing the plot and blowing the whole plan.

Stayed with sister in Galway and spent the previous evening setting out my stuff, getting drinks and drop bags ready clothes, chips etc. Went to bed and was setting my clock for 6am until I thought it better to go a bit earlier and changed the minutes to :45 , only i forgot to change the hour to 5 so instead of 5:45 I had it set to 6:45. Didnt notice. :(
    Clock went off and I was suprised how bright it was in Galway so early. DOH. Put on gear and was taking garmin off charger when I saw it was 7:20am :eek: **** the bus went at 7am. Absolute panic!!!! Horsed down a bowl of cereal and jumped into the car to try to make the Oughterard stop at 7:40. Was just about to overtake a slow car and blast up the straight stretch when I spotted a squad car in the hard shoulder. Feckedy feck. Heart was thumping and boy was I relieved when I got to Oughterard to see runners sitting on the wall waiting for the last late bus. Phew! Saw the cool calm face of Aiman, so tucked in beside him. went to the brief in Peacockes and then back on the bus to the start. Sat beside Sarsfieldsrock on the bus and had great craic. A few photos were taken and I felt so much more relaxed and looking forward to it by then. I had a quick look up and down the runners for Marty74 from the RW board who is also doing Comarades but I couldnt see him.
    And they are off...

Plan was to run a mile and walk a minute right from the start and to be as disciplined as I could. So from mile one I walked. Average mile pace was about 9;40. By mile 4 an Asian Californian asked could she run with me as she was finding it a bit too fast with the guy she was with. The pace slowed to about 10.20mm and she relaxed into it and started to enjoy it. She was one of the Pasadena Pacers who had come in a bus of over 24 runners from Los Angeles. They had prepared for this trip for 18 months.
    By mile 7/8 I heard runningcoach shout that he had found Marty74 so we ended up running in a little posse pretty much up the the finish line.
    I have to say that I have never run more than a couple of miles with other people apart from the 24 hour last year and i had the best craic wtih the lads. I did the touristy thing and pointed out the amazing famine walls ( all built on a low calorie diet as pointed out by runningcoach) and turf reckels etc. Marty apologized profusely on behalf of his English ancestors and with a few jokes thrown in , the miles disappeared behind us.
    I have to say that Runningcoach was amazing. having finished the directors marathon the day before he was something else to run so strongly and consistently. Im not sure if it was the thought of steak and chips that kept him going but he certainly obsessed about them from Mile 13 to the finish.;)
    We left Nyi after Leenane with a marathon PB of 4.32 Previous best was over 4.40 a month ago , so huge challenge for her to finish the last 13.1. Very courageous runner. Dawdled at the table before I saw the timing clock for the marathon . Few more minutes wasted there.

In other race reports of speedier finishers there was always mention of the lift you got coming through the marathon and half marathon participants but not for the first time did I wish that there was a longer break between the different start times as those of us down the back need the lift more than those up the front .I didnt see any marathon or half runners at all s they had gone by then
    I picked up my second bag with gels and another made up electrolyte drink but I hadnt even used up what I had taken with me. I couldnt stomach any of it after a while so finished the last half with just water which was fine. Felt awful queasy on the hills about M28/29 but the lads were amazing and I didnt want to get left behind . I dont know how many we passed but it seemed that in the last third we were the ones who did most if not all of the passing. As the legs got tired it was always less than a mile to the next minute walk. It was just enough to get a break but not enough to make you want to NOT run again. I have to say that I was a bit surprised the lads stayed with me til the end but they certainly kept me going and they were a great distraction. I hope I didnt drive them mad with chatter and whinges about my urgent need for vaseline. UP and down the hell of the west and headed for home. We considered not walking the last minute but when we came to the last mile marker- we all wanted the break and then one last spurt to finish the final mile we crossed the line together.
    6:45 was the final tally with the final half marathon the fastest of them all. Legs werent bad at all , just a bit achey and tired. I had some bad blistering but the fallout was all in all very negligeable.Thankfully

Was dying to meet everyone in the pub later but I didnt want to do gooseberry with Aimman and his woman and just in case no one else turned up. Sister wanted to go home so reluctantly I went with her. I regret not taxiiing back into town later . But I live and learn.
    Really enjoyed the day. Will be back next year for another go .

• Advertisement

Great report!

You should have stayed for a few drinks, there's no gooseberries after a race, just an opportunity to hang around with a few drinks and recount all the events of the day. Sure the others were heading over after they got their fill of bacon and cabbage. The band were brilliant and the locals were gas to watch. Next time, you've no excuse. :)

Planned on 6x 1 mile interval at 85% but could only manage 5. Legs were tired and I didnt want to risk injury. I ran hard ( for me ) and I was happy with the effort , especially after weekends running.
    Splits were :
    7:44 ( had to reset display)
    7:18
    7:24
    7:28
    9 Miles altogether including warm up and cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

While all those around her were suffering yet another great marathon pb form superwoman in salt hill. Congrats babe:D

Shucks, Thanks Oisin. ( and Meno for encouraging me to have a go at it )
    Im still laughing at your comment about the competition for the ugliest women in Galway... We looked up to see a poster for "Dogathon 2011" Genius wit as ever:D
    If you didnt lop off 10 minutes at a time for your marathons , you could drag it out as well and have a PB every time you went , by snipping off a minute as you go :D. someone of us ould dolls cant manage that level of achievement.:rolleyes:

Thursday 21st April.
    Word of the passing of Sarsfieldsrock was like a thump in the gut as somewhere I hoped that he would pull it out of the bag and fight his way back , but it was not to be and off he went for a long run on the perfect ultra course.
    I headed out for a 2 hour run along the North coast and across the hill at Ballycastle. No garmin. A few miles in , the sunrays broke through a gap in the clouds and there was a huge spectacular lightshow as the rays fanned out and just bathed the area for about 5 minutes, and then it was all over.
    Not sure distance...12/13 ish?

Saturday 23rd April.
    Got back after the funeral and a quick call on the way home and headed out to clear the head and put the days events to rest. Ended up doing 17 miles at 9:05 pace ( 154)

Sunday 24th April
    H
    ad to get out early before club snorkel/dive so went for a leg loosener up the coast again at lacken and up one hill.
    Later had murderously long snorkel against the current and as I am not dive fit yet , the legs were fecked. Ideal preparation for marathon tomorrow :rolleyes:
    8.5M 1:20 9:29 ( 151)

Monday 25th April
    Met at the aquarium and it was nice to see a bigger crowd than usual and the banter that goes along with it. We donned our lightweight Tipp jerseys ( Sarsfieldsrock wouldnt have struggled in the heat as much with one of these babies on ) . We had a moments silence remembering Eddie and a group photo and with Rays" right lads we're off..." we were off :)

Thought the pace was faster than usual with the speedies turning up for the day. As usual I was lurking down the back but that was even clipping along at a 9mm pace . I didnt really have a plan other than to not injure myself and enjoy it. Legs were tired after the snorkel but I steadied on. Meno appeared from the aquarium after a quick pitstop and thought he would stick with consistent pacing practice rather than catch the others ahead. He offered to pace me for a pb and we ran along together for the next 16 miles or so. I hadnt really planned on going out for a fast run ( for me ) but the craic was good and I didnt want to drop off the back just cos I was tired , even though nothing was really hurting , apart from the foot.
    Our marathon virgin was flying along ahead of us and out of sight for most of it . She had hoped for around 4 hours but was well inside that. We caught her at about 22 miles and she looked like she had hit the wall head on. She gathered herself and managed to run to the finish with an impressive 4.15 finish. This girl has awesome potential to slash that with a bit of experience.
    Meanwhile the ould doll put a bit of energy into a final increase in pace to the finish, which was perhaps a tiny bit short?
    3:55. Happy days. I reckon that will stand for a while.

26.2M 3:55 9mm ( 154) 73% WHR/MMR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sooooo this route you were banging on about, when are you going to host a race for us all. :pac:

It has a few big hills but is so scenic it is worth the struggle. I am going to try to get it officially measured and organise a run along it . One end is close to Newport where the new greenbelt runs along the old railway track to Mulranny and is very scenic also. Must try and get a weekend together or a grub/run combo to make it worth your while travelling. Watch this space.

It has a few big hills but is so scenic it is worth the struggle. I am going to try to get it officially measured and organise a run along it . One end is close to Newport where the new greenbelt runs along the old railway track to Mulranny and is very scenic also. Must try and get a weekend together or a grub/run combo to make it worth your while travelling. Watch this space.

Just make sure there is no net downhill for the route, or any chance of a world record will go out the window. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

26.2 or longer? :pac: I need to know what I'm not training for. :D

haha. Its about 13 miles long. 14 if you want to go to the shop. so its pretty much marathon distance for there and back.

It would probably be easier to do it from the Newport end but the other end is better for parking and a nicer run. Will see if I can put up a linky thing. Dont know how to get the garmin stuff up. What the lads suggested- I cant seem to get working. WIll maybe get a lesson in Limerick.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/28103100#

Should run tonight but just finished work and feeel guilty at leaving kids for even longer. WIll make up for it tomorrow. taper denial will sooon be upon me. EEK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Great run on monday finn. Ill try and get down for a few of the west of ireland races this year now i have the lay of the land. The salthill ones anyway. Wanna keep conn for the ultra:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Some serious mileage there H2T. I'm looking forward to hearing all about the Comrades experience, I think you've done some great training and will do really well on the day. Best of luck with the upcoming taper and i'll be monitoring with interest!

NIl done since Monday but finally managed to get out for 8Miles. The thoughts of speedwork put me off so instead I did a kind of tempo run.

Not sure what to do over the next 3 weeks.... Dont feel I need that much taper as I havent done that much stressing of the body lately. I think 2 weeks will be enough. Think i have gone into denial as I am not thinking of Comrades much these days and am thinking instead of other things on later in the summer. "Head in the sand" is a much used technique in my life Im afraid.
    8M 8.25mm ( 161) 1:07

8:45 / 8:21 / 8:27 / 8:24 / 8:10 / 8:12 / 8:30 / 8:31

Are you pacing Limerick on Sunday in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Fair play to you for not alone pacing but running a great time in belfast. Still dont know how you eat a bowel of bran flakes the morning of the marathon but each to their own. Good to put a face to the name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement