Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confessions of a Comrade Cailin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Not sure what to do over the next 3 weeks....
    dont do any more bleedin marathons....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Ultraman ......Does this mean that you wont let me into the Kildare marathon if I get a rush of blood to the head ?

Village runner... which one were you ? Did we share breakfast together?;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ultraman ......Does this mean that you wont let me into the Kildare marathon if I get a rush of blood to the head ?

Village runner... which one were you ? Did we share breakfast together?;)

He probably had a smoke hanging out of his mouth! :pac:

OOps forgot to log again.
    Rested foot before LImerick as it has been annoyingly sore.
    Paced with Aimann and thoroughly enjoyed the craic all around the event.
    Found it a bit harder on the feet slowing a bit more than I am used to and ended up with a lot of toe blisters and sore nails.
    Watched garmin carefully with paceband etc. Battery went low and screen disappeared but i managed to get it back again but didnt realise that I had to restart the start button so at about mile 23 I realised that it was switched off and I was about 8 minutes adrift of real time. Was impossible to pace the last few miles so stuck to Aimann (who did a fab job on the day.) and just ran with him. He did a super pacing job and I was really only along for the ride. Heart rate stayed low throughout at about 72% overall.

Drove to Dublin and stayed the night. Didnt drink too much alcohol but somehow ended up having chocolate kimberleys and twixes and twirls in a bed picnic after I woke up at 12 ish and couldnt get back to sleep. Alternative carb loading I guess.:D

Got to Belfast early next morning - trusting that my internet post was picked up and that Jim picked up my racepack. He didnt appear at the pacing tent til 8.40 and I was starting to panic a bit in case he forgot to get it. But thankfully he did and my number and chip got put on in double quick time. Put ipod on and after a quick whizz down an alleyway I had to join the crowd behind the 5 hour finishers.
    Legs were a bit stiff after all the driving and I remembered I forgot to sort out blisters so opted for a run/walk/run strategy again as I didnt want to risk injury and irritate the feeet more.
    So one minute walk routine started at mile 2 ( mile 1 was too congested and I would have got in everyones way) and continued except for mile 25 when I just kept going. turned on ipod at mile 2 to discover battery was dead. bah.
    Finished in 4:10 with heart rate lower than yesterday at 150 ( 70%).
    Took me over 5 hours to get home and legs were shot by then after all the sitting. Blisters were huge so was such a relief to get them drained.
    Was a great lesson... to know I could run 26 miles with blisters:rolleyes:.

Bit of stiffness yesterday for the first time in almost a year. just need to sort out foot and then I am on the windup to Comrades . EEK

Limerick 4:28 ( 153)
    Belfast 4:10 ( 151)

ooooh , just had massage. Now have stinky headache. Think its from trying to hold farts in !! I really shouldnt do that.... they travel up the spine and into the head , and thats where ****ty ideas come from ;)
    Havent run all week. Plan on getting out later tonight though.I promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

ooooh , just had massage. Now have stinky headache. Think its from trying to hold farts in !! I really shouldnt do that.... they travel up the spine and into the head , and thats where ****ty ideas come from ;)
    Havent run all week. Plan on getting out later tonight though.I promise

Just as well you weren't letting them out during the massage, the poor masseuse would think she squeezed too hard and you burst! :eek:

LOL
    Well , did nothing all week after Belfast trying to get foot to settle.
    Ended up on Saturday night going for a 13 miler with it in the same state. LIght along North coast was spectacular and made up for the lack of mojo

13M 2:00 9.30 ( 164)

After flaffing about on Sunday , eventually got out in the evening again but milcalculated route and ended up going 15. Did the run/walk thing again so as not to antagonise it further.

15M 2:22 9.29 ( 150) .... proof that walking every mile does not slow pace :D

profileup.jpg

Is the the profile for the Comrades? Or the financial report on Ireland's growing Debt?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

It had 1 catagory 3 climb and 3 catagory 4 climbs, 5 catagory 5 climbs.
    To give you and idea the hell of the west in conn is a catagory 5 climb and conn has 2 others. The is a catagory 1 climb in the wicklow way that lasts nearly 10k. Connors pass in the dingle ultra last year was a catagory 1 also.
    For a climb to be even concidered it has to be 500 metres ling and above a 3% gradient.
    Fasinating stuff and people give out about little bumps in the road at some races:D
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/south-africa/durban/20203234#climbs

I reckon if I can get to 55km intact , I will manage the rest :rolleyes:
    Back to running tonight. Fear has struck at my very heart after I realised yesterday,how soon it is. OH Gawd!:eek:

Daughters birthday so took her out for a meal. Had a glass of wine too (as a treat for myself , for surviving childbirth).

Seeing as I had fallen asleep on the sofa before we went out , there was nothing for it but to run when I got home.
    7 Struggling miles in my new runners ( which I HATE) and a belly full of food and no run since the weekend . Legs felt like lead.
    I think I will run in my old broken down runners. Will continue trying to break these in anyway. Can anyone explain how size 37 Euro equates to size 6 USA in Adidas and size 7 in Mizuno? surely size 37 is 37 regardless? :mad:

7M 1:07 9:34mm ( 153) Feel like I need to get a few good runs in . I think I have gone off the boil hugely with so little running lately.

Anyone would think my race was over !! few runs to do yet.

With so little running lately , lazy legs, and a local half marathon tomorrow I decided to push the pace a bit and to throw in walk breaks so as not to risk injury or tiring myself unduly. Was also interested to see if run/walk/run was as effective with faster pace as well as covering long distance.
    For first four miles I did 8:12 7:57 8:22 ( hill) 8:11 including the walks so was happy to try it out tomorrow. Jogged the last 4.5 miles home in the dark and rain .

8.5M 1:14 8:42mm (165)

For my marathon finish times, around 4 hours, half marathon pace is 8.30mm and I thought I might be able to do a bit better than that but knew not to aim for much faster given my recent training.:rolleyes:
    So , again, from mile one I did a one minute walk, except if I knew there was a hill ahead - I waited to walk a minute on the hill.
    Pushed the heart rate and pace up for the rest of the mile and I have to say that I know I wouldnt have been able to keep the same pace up without the breaks for the whole race.
    First few miles were
    8:15
    8:14
    8:33
    8:55( hill)
    8:30
    8:39.......avg 8.30mm according to Garmin .Strong wind into the face.

8:20
    8:01
    7:46
    8:16...avg now 8:25 , speeding up and with 10 mins walk in the bag feeling fine in the legs.

8:12
    8:14
    7:59
    6:50 avg 8:17mm at the end

Heart rate was on average 174-180 ( 90% WHR/HRR)for the running portion of the miles. I cant sustain this in continuous running for long and to drop back to a pace I can sustain I wouldnt have been able to do a 8:17 avg for sure. Amazing that I walked 12 minutes as well. WOW

13.1M 1:49 ( PB by 8 mins) 8:17mm (170)=85% WHR

Feel much better now .Just going to tip along for the next week and a half and try to get foot to settle even a bit.

7 M 9:25mm ( 149)

Little jaunt around the flat loop in the town. Definitley still having new shoe issues. Will keep trying to break these in all the same , Not going to waste a 100 quid pair of shoes!:mad:
    Will get two little runs in over the next two days and then am not allowed for the next 3 ( by Doc). Any point in doing the odd bit of a sprint or an occasional hill or should I just keep it really easy on the flat?
    Will be flying this day next week.:eek::D

Ruthanne Sheehan from Athenry ( major mileage in the Espoo 24 hour and winner of the Dingle ultra ) has decided to go to Comrades as well. :)
    She Booked the race months ago in case. Woudnt it make you sick that these speedy young wans dont have to bust themselves training and fretting for 6months , that they can just turn up as fit and strong as you like and knock out a big hilly ultra in a ridiculously speedy time :D Ah God bless them.

• Advertisement

Needed leg loosener. So went for a final 8 miles with 3 done a bit faster . I feel very heavy and sluggish. guess thats tapering. Hate the feeling.
    Mrs Plod... now wheres me knitting :rolleyes:

8M 1:09 8:40mm ( 156)

9:09(139) / 8:03(165) / 8:50(154)/ 8:00 (165) /
    9:00(158) / 8:13(165) / 9:08(155) /8:59 (155)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Needed leg loosener. So went for a final 8 miles with 3 done a bit faster . I feel very heavy and sluggish. guess thats tapering. Hate the feeling.
    Mrs Plod... now wheres me knitting :rolleyes:

8M 1:09 8:40mm ( 156)

9:09(139) / 8:03(165) / 8:50(154)/ 8:00 (165) /
    9:00(158) / 8:13(165) / 9:08(155) /8:59 (155)
    Good luck in south africa finn. Ill be rooting for ya:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Is the race this weekend? Best of luck, looking forward to the race report :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck, everything I read and hear about Comrades makes it sound amazing. :)

Race is the 29th. Will be flying on Wednesday, but last decent run done cos I got an injection in my foot and am not allowed run for the next 5 days. Will knit myself a medal in case I dont make it across the line.;)

• Advertisement

Right then. Bringing sick computer to shop for fixing while I am away for a little jog:rolleyes:
    ONline access will now be mc Donalds and internet cafes.
    Will go for a short run tonight seeing as I havent run in absolute ages. Will update you as I can .

Thanks for all the good wishes and support over the last few months. I couldnt have got here without you all.
    ...NOw lets hope I can remember enough for a race report , but not enough that I will bore ye to death.:P

Byeeeeeeee. GO ME !!:D

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14E2nZfnExbSt5_UdxBvkpZ3ajnTCtp0l_kCiV6cQHsI

Does this work?
    I warn you, its an awfully long read. Probably longer than the race itself. Havent had time to cut it down yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That is one amazing report! What a fantastic achievement. I can't imagine how tough it must have been, especially when battling stomach problems.

I don't know if you are one tough cookie, or just nuts :pac: Maybe a bit of both :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done, thats truly inspirational.

Cant imagine the mental strength needed to complete a race like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Holy ****! - literally. I can see why you're called 'hot to trot"!!
    Congrats, great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Well done on your great achievement. That's a great Report. Fair play to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Epic race report!!!

The suspense was killing me.

Huge congratulations on finishinig.

I'm sure you are enjoying a well earned rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great report. Well done Finn!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Great Run. Great Report. Inspiring stuff. Looking at your training log, well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Massive well done H2T, glad to hear you survived. So are we doing the down run next year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I really enjoyed reading that. Well done H2T that is a super achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

well done h2t,,,if ur ever runnin by my gaff,dont even think of knockin to use me jax:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done Finn. Great running. :)

Your report (and various episodes of Marathon Talk) make me really want to do Comrades sometime. Well done :)

Your report (and various episodes of Marathon Talk) make me really want to do Comrades sometime. Well done :)

Boards trip to Comrades next year then?? :D

G-Money wrote: »
    Boards trip to Comrades next year then?? :D

Ah now, give it a few years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wow!
    Just Wow!

You are one though lady.
    Hearty congratulations on an amazing run and a totally fantastic race report.

G-Money wrote: »
    Massive well done H2T, glad to hear you survived. So are we doing the down run next year? :D

Unfortunately I cant . Daughter has Junior cert same week. But if you have a little voice in the back of your head .....listen to it . JUST DO IT.
    It really is a super race.
    I hope I havent put you off. Ruthann from Athenry did 8:41 so for those of you who are faster than me - you dont have to be out there all day. It is definitley one for the bucket list. SO put it in somwhere .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭opus

Great report and congratulations on some achievement! Like others posted earlier, your exploits & the MarathonTalk show on Comrades are putting ideas into my head as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Finn, really well done. Loved the report. If I wasn't sold already on doing Comrades, I most certainly am now.

Brilliant report Finn, had me on the edge of the seat, even though I knew the ending. You must be delighted with yourself. Looking forward to catching up at one of the races soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Brilliant report, and a happy ending to boot. Well done!

OOPs dont know where my thank yous disappeared to .

I am open to suggestions as to what project to target after the 24 hour in July. I need something to work towards in the next year or two as otherwise I find it hard to get motivated. 5k's and 10k's run faster just turn me off as goals in themselves.
    I would need a year to save for big things abroad. Considering the following ....
    • I fancy having a proper go at a 100k as opposed to doing one as a training run, or just to finish.
    • The Kalahari Augrabies is screaming at me for 2012/2013
    • Getting into trail type running +/- mountain hilly things
    • Something stateside?

Here you go, the ultimate Ultra :)

http://www.badwater.com/

Recognized globally as "the world's toughest foot race," this legendary event pits approximately 90 of the world's toughest athletes—runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers—against one another and the elements.:eek:

Dont think they would invite soft middle aged mothers to do this one . ( thankfully)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How about a nice 5k? :D
    Fantastic race and report H2T! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great report H2T; epic reading and I felt like I was running it with you (and cursing those hills :eek:). Congrats on a brilliant performance.

I have to curse you for advising us to put Comrades on the Bucket List tho...faraway future seed now planted firmly in my head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

[*]Getting into trail type running +/- mountain hilly things
    [/LIST]
    The hills will open whole new avenues of pain and masochistic suffering for you. The when you can do the hills, head stateside, for one of those big bad endurance races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

OOPs dont know where my thank yous disappeared to .

I am open to suggestions as to what project to target after the 24 hour in July. I need something to work towards in the next year or two as otherwise I find it hard to get motivated. 5k's and 10k's run faster just turn me off as goals in themselves.
    I would need a year to save for big things abroad. Considering the following ....
    • I fancy having a proper go at a 100k as opposed to doing one as a training run, or just to finish.
    • The Kalahari Augrabies is screaming at me for 2012/2013
    • Getting into trail type running +/- mountain hilly things
    • Something stateside?

That seems crazy they dont tell you the route until the day before the race. You would want a good compass or sat nav;)

How about this one http://www.brasil135.com/ cant find too much info on it tough loads of hills in it.

Am distraught this morning. Achilles was coming on really well and after a short test run last night, it wasnt great. In truth it was pants ,sob.
    Major recovery required so I am letting brain take over and am going to be really really sensible - truly so that I can have a go at the 24 hour. AM going to be my number one patient for the next few weeks!
    And when I come back in teh next life..I want bigger feet

• Advertisement
Advertisement