Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on restaining pine table

• 04-09-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm distraught this evening! my mother was helping me with curtains today and we needed to iron them. we put a heavy blanket over my pine dining table and ironed the ends of the curtains using steam!

when we lifted the blanket off the table, we have discovered that the steam has lifted the varnish down 1 side off the table!:mad: has anyone any ideas on what we could do to restain to the original colour! the table top has laquered finish on it!

i'd really appreciate any ideas please!!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If only some of the varnish has been lifted there is no way that you will be able to re-varnish only that part. The only way I would deal with it would be to sand off the original varnish coat all over using an orbital sander and finishing with very fine sandpaper, then re-varnish the whole top using acrylic varnish (it dries more quickly and the brushes can be cleaned in water).

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

ART6 wrote: »
    If only some of the varnish has been lifted there is no way that you will be able to re-varnish only that part. The only way I would deal with it would be to sand off the original varnish coat all over using an orbital sander and finishing with very fine sandpaper, then re-varnish the whole top using acrylic varnish (it dries more quickly and the brushes can be cleaned in water).

Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, but....:o
    +1.

You won't be able to do a patch job on it. It'll be the whole tabletop that will need doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

ok!:( thanks for the advice guys! have to go look for a good carpenter or handyman so!! appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

is the varnish cloudy milky white or completely gone if it is just cloudy get some cotton wool dip it in some meths or vodka if you don,t have meths dab it on the cloudy varnish and set fire to it with a lighter only do a small piece at a time and watch your hands as alc is very flamable the heat from the burning meths removes the water that the steam iron put into the varnish and will turn the varnish back to its origanel color this wont help if the iron has lifted all the varnish off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Betsy18 wrote: »
    ok!:( thanks for the advice guys! have to go look for a good carpenter or handyman so!! appreciate the advice!

Where are you located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Betsy18 wrote: »

Or you could DIY:)
    Borrow a sander, buy some cheap sand paper, brush & some varnish.
    (Try Argos or Aldi for a cheap sander).

Advertisement