Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What channels are FTA on UPC digital?

• 04-09-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭

Moving to new house soon which has a UPC cable point in the sitting room. I'm gonna connect it to a upc box I had in house last year and canceled the sub. What channels can I get free without a sub? Is it the only the analog channels that are free?

Also is it the same f-connector and cable as satellite from the wall to the box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

As far as i know you have to pay for to watch upc even though they have fta channels on there service.
    If you had a satellite dish pointing at 28.2e and a fta reciever or sky box you would get any fta channels without paying for a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

you wont be able to get any channels on the box as you are not subscribed to their service as in your card wont work,,,its possibl you may be able to receive anologue channels providing upc did not dis connect the cable coming into your new house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Nothing on cable is FTA. It is a pay service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

How do you check if theres any analog stations? Just make a piece of cable with an f-connector on one end and RF on the other and tune into UHF as usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There may be included channels that don't cost extra.

There is no FTA cable at all. Without a subscription you are not entitled to any channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

magher wrote: »
    Moving to new house soon which has a UPC cable point in the sitting room. I'm gonna connect it to a upc box I had in house last year and canceled the sub. What channels can I get free without a sub? Is it the only the analog channels that are free?

Also is it the same f-connector and cable as satellite from the wall to the box?

As Watty says above - no channels are free on UPC or any other cable operator. You need to take out a subscription to the service. Strictly speaking you should have returned the STB to UPC when you cancelled the subscription.

UPC (and its predecessors, although Cablelink were chief culprits in this) too long had the practice of keeping cable connections open when customers cancelled their accounts and sending bills to "The New Customer". This is because with the analogue service, the only way to switch it off is to send a service agent out to physically cut the cable. This is the consequence of RTÉ and then Cablelink's decision to run with an unencyrpted analogue cable system. With digital cable, practically all channels are encrypted (though as I recall TV3 was broadcast unencrpyed for test purposes) so if a subscription is cancelled UPC can turn off the service remotely by deauthorising the viewing card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Suppose I may get a basic upc package again, do I have to get a new contract or can I carry on from previous account which I had for two years?

Seems such a pity because I've a freesat HD TV but no dish setup at new house and landlord wont allow it. Any one ever try one of those small camping dishes from Lidl indoors or pointing out a window?

Is this Saorview DTT service thats launching soon gonna have any uk freeview stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

magher wrote: »
    Is this Saorview DTT service thats launching soon gonna have any uk freeview stations?
    No. You need a Sat4free dish to get UK FTA channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

contracts are for 12 months. an old cancelled contract means nothing.
    digital value cable is cheaper than analogue cable.

Advertisement