Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crunch Fitness UCD

Options
  • 04-09-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey there, incoming student with just a quick question I hope somebody can help me with!

How much does membership at the gym on campus cost for a student?! :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

About €180 give or take €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

They have aan offer until the 15th of september, 12 months for €165.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

does anyone happen to know how late they stay open, and whether you have to pay extra for classes or not? i'd like to use the gym but i'd like if the price included self defence/yoga classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Are there trainers there to assess your fitness when you first join and then recommend what kind of exercise you do there? Seems like it would be worth my while to join but I'd have no idea how to use some of the crazy weight-lifting and bench press machines and some guidance/advice would be great. I'm not talking about a personal trainer or anything just someone who is there to give you a hand! :P

snooleen wrote: »
    Are there trainers there to assess your fitness when you first join and then recommend what kind of exercise you do there? Seems like it would be worth my while to join but I'd have no idea how to use some of the crazy weight-lifting and bench press machines and some guidance/advice would be great. I'm not talking about a personal trainer or anything just someone who is there to give you a hand! :P

Yes. Just make the appointment when you sign up. Then tell them what you want to get out of going to the gym at the appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Does anyone know what time in opens in the morning and closes?
    If I joined I'd want to be there really early or really late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It opens 7am - 10pm during the week. Can't remember what it is on the weekends

unknown13 wrote: »
    Yes. Just make the appointment when you sign up. Then tell them what you want to get out of going to the gym at the appointment.

When I first read that I read it as, 'Just make the appointment when you sign up. Then tell them you want to get out of going to the gym at the appointment.' :P

Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 viky

wat?!!! u actually have to pay for the gym in college?:mad: now thats a load of bull****. u pay for everything -registering , accommodation, books, travel and now for the gym too? and they say education is free in ireland- ha. honest to god i m not even looking forward to going to college anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

viky wrote: »
    wat?!!! u actually have to pay for the gym in college?:mad: now thats a load of bull****. u pay for everything -registering , accommodation, books, travel and now for the gym too? and they say education is free in ireland- ha. honest to god i m not even looking forward to going to college anymore

Drop out then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

How do you think they pay for the facilities in the gym? It is hardly going to run itself. Also the gym is run by Crunch Fitness and not UCD.

You have to realise that not everything in life is free. I'm not sure what sort of tax level you would want to have a state able to pay for accommodation, books and a gym for every student. Just get used to paying for things, that is what everybody else has to do. College is about more than what happens in lectures and tutorials, it is about growing up and gaining independence.

Once you get used to paying for things and being a grown up, make sure you make the most of what is a brilliant opportunity for you in the next few years. College can be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I would hate to think that money was being taken from my 'free fees' and pumped into a gym. Modules have been cut for this year but so what, we have to pay for the gym! Sheesh!

I think it's a bit of a let down that the gym isn't free too -i think the facilities offered on campus SHOULD be freely available to all students, in my opinion it should be a perk or selling point of attending a particular university, like having computers and a library and societies.

but i will probably join anyway, it does sound like a good rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think it's a bit of a let down that the gym isn't free too -i think the facilities offered on campus SHOULD be freely available to all students

I agree. Though I also think students should have to pay to go to college in the first place.

mloc wrote: »
    I agree. Though I also think students should have to pay to go to college in the first place.

some of us do!

Compared to the thousands some people pay every year for a fully equipped gym with swimming pool, saunas, trainers etc etc 165 is nothing! Over the past few days I've realised how great students actually have it! Yes, things like fees and books are expensive but seriously, once you familiarise yourself with everything you realise how many discounts you can get in nearly everything! And if you don;t want to pay for the gym, maybe you can do the UCD Get in Gear programme, I dunno if it's free or not but it won't cost as much as the gym membership.

I was going to join a gym last year and as a teenager/2nd level student it was still something like 70 euro a month, with all the trimmings. That works out at 840 for 12 months. And plus, if the gym was free, every gobsheen would be in there messing with equipment for a laugh with their mates cause they have a 2 hour break between lectures. How annoying for the people who are focused and want to work out. Your student card/travelcard/ents card will get you discounts everywhere. And if you join societies or clubs you can get certain discounts with your cards from them too. So if you go shopping and spend 100 euro, you can get 15% off in a lot of good places with just your student card. Now your shopping costs 85 and you have fifteen euro with which to do as you please :) I was delighted when I heard the gym was so cheap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭*Hank Scorpio*

A few questions:

1: is the gym extremely busy, particularly at peaktimes?

2: are the gym staff/trainers good for planning a routine for you? Or is it just a case of them showing you how to start the treadmill etc? I'd like to try and start some weight training and wanted to have some help.

3: is it true that the subscription only lasts until june? What about the summer months?

It is busy but not extremely busy. If you want have a look at it during peakc times and see for yourself.
    2: are the gym staff/trainers good for planning a routine for you? Or is it just a case of them showing you how to start the treadmill etc? I'd like to try and start some weight training and wanted to have some help.
    Yes, they will set up a routine for you, tell them what you want and they will give you a routine but its by appointment only
    3: is it true that the subscription only lasts until june? What about the summer months?

Depends what they are advertising.

Just back from there now. Obviously lots of new members; more dumbbells on the floor than on the racks.

If you join, please put **** back on the rack when you are finished.

A few questions:

the 165euro offer is until june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

Is there a pool?

jfrmbray wrote: »
    Is there a pool?

No, being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I would hate to think that money was being taken from my 'free fees' and pumped into a gym. Modules have been cut for this year but so what, we have to pay for the gym! Sheesh!

Well said and it's only a few hundred , cheaper than most
    Feck the free fees there only for the poor anyway right , There are too many people taking degrees like Law Business etc ,

I was chatting the old man tonight and he said that he knows 3 solicitors who will never become barristers , because they are poor. Its the only to keep the others out

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Well said and it's only a few hundred , cheaper than most
    Feck the free fees there only for the poor anyway right , There are too many people taking degrees like Law Business etc ,

I was chatting the old man tonight and he said that he knows 3 solicitors who will never become barristers , because they are poor. Its the only to keep the others out

What?

Free fees have been shown to only benefit the middle class. They have not helped those in lower earning brackets improve college entry.

Solicitors, generally speaking, are not meant to become barristers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You don't have to join you know.

I didn't. :D

Think of it as a gym that happens to be in the college rather than a college gym.

And be happy we don't have those ridiculous costs that US students have to pay (e.g. $50,000 a year :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Welcome to the real world.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

€165 is a very good deal, in my opinion. It is up to June btw, only an academic year, not a full year.

It's not the nicest gym I've ever seen, but it seems more than adequate. My friend joined two days ago and he likes it (he's big into rugby) but he said you are required to pay €7 for a lock, which works out at €172 but it's still a great deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Lou45

are the fitness classes included in the membership fee of 165??

Lou45 wrote: »
    are the fitness classes included in the membership fee of 165??

NO, They are extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

it works like other gyms though yea? in that you can show up and pay for an hour or whatever?

Advertisement