Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traps and Tricks and Such

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Tried and failed 240KG deadlift the other day:

worked up to a handy 215kg - might seem a big jump then to 240kg but I didn't care about getting 230ish (already did recently) or anything less than that so was conserving the strength a little and I normally always take 40kg jumps up to 200kg without feeling it much anyway.

Failed the first attempt somewhere mid-thighs. Dunno. Just didn't make it any further than that, though my disappoint is encouraging me into the trap of blaming the mental ****ing distraction of a couple of people strolling around right behind (seriously within like 2 1/2 feet) me just as I started the rep.

Felt up for a second attempt, got maybe a little bit closer this time but the lockout just wasn't there at all, failed it somewhere mid-thigh again I guess.

I'll get it soon. No distractions and no long, thick cotton shorts next time. Maybe more rest beforehand. Any recommendations on lockout-improving lifts to consider would be gratefully appreciated.

Still just doing powerlifts. Hovering above 90kg bodyweight on an empty stomach now. guess I'm very slowly trying to bring the calories and bodyweight down without giving up anything from the barbell, it's working so far I think because my bench is maybe better than ever (bench would usually be the first thing to evaporate on anything other than a generous surplus for me), deadlift is still where it was (somewhere between an easy 210 and a tough 230 on-a-good-day). Actually pretty unsure where my squat's at. I haven't ventured beyond heavy triples (3-5 sets of them usually) and those haven't been at anything beyond 170 or 180.

I got the finger out and started Coan P today because I decided I'd like to pull 250. Except I don't want to eat a surplus. Except I do want to get stronger. But I also want to just spend time training some BJJ or muay thai again... No idea :\
    Gonna do that programme for the moment anyway. really need to get focussed on an actual thing again though.

I started Smolov @90kg myself alongside running Cube Boss for Bench and Deadlift (don't worry, I actually did Smolov's Day 1 on 9th October, though I've since fallen a couple of days behind after some kidney infection bull).

What I did do BISHDI was bump my 1RM on the smolov calculator up to 205kg from 200kg :pac: then in another actual coincidence I did 185kg for 7x5 by accident yesterday (should have been just 180kg since I just added the usual 5kg in week 3).

The workouts have felt pretty gruelling from Week 2 on, not to mention the elbow tendinitis but managed to get that under control. 190kg or maybe 195kg for 10x3 coming up now. Should be barrels of fun.

Think the very last days of Bench and Deadlift each in the Cube are this weekend too. Quite manageable program, I found, or I wouldn't be attempting it beside Smolov. But I know it's one that's meant to be able to be run way more consistently than something like Smolov.

I put 127.5kg bench into the Cube program but would have hoped for 135kg 1RM after it (my actual 1RM in training was 132.5kg previously), I don't feel confident that 135kg is there now at the end of the program though because it just doesn't involve enough heavy benching, or enough of a volume of it, for me to get stronger at this level imo.

Deadlift, I put a 225kg (beltless) in. I'll definitely get 230kg out of it, maybe 235kg would be nice, and 240kg would be difficult but awesome.

Squatted 195kg for 10x3 spread across yesterday evening and lunchtime today because of sunday gym closing times / being in bits anyway.
    195 (instead of just 190kg, which was also instead of just 185kg!) because when I got through the accidental 185kg 7x5 I decided to roll with it and that I must therefore be able. I was barely right. Elbow tendinitis got me bad today too.

would've actually done GPCs on Sat but literally hadn't the spare cash nor time off work to make the day-before weigh ins at 90kg. Though I think I'm actually pretty close to 90kg right now, wouldn't have to cut much. Ugh. I'll weigh when I try a max later in the week I guess.

Need to check my training logs (I don't put 'em here) but I think I just have another Cube day of bench and deadlift each, which I can do together, and then I can test those too.

Ha, haven't updated this in 2 years I see.

Training continues. PR'd with 230kg squat a good while back this year, then very recently 137.5kg bench and 260kg deadlift. Generally walking around between 90kg and 95kg.

Training will continue to continue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement