Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EC = Maestro

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Germany at the minute. My Maestro card works in Rewe (supermarket) and in ATMs, but in Edeka (another supermarket) they won't process payment unless specifically an "EC karte" symbol is present.

Are they not the same thing? They appear to be...

180px-EC-Card_Oldenburgische_Landesbank_(back).jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, not nessecarily. Maestro isn't one unified system, but a multitude of old national systems (such as Laser in Ireland, EC in Germany). Cards will work in some places, but not everywhere depending on how the individual banks networks are set up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So...it's the same system of payment .i.e. a Maestro card works exactly the same as an ec card and it is the new agglomeration of all these individual old national systems, but some individual shops based on their bank will only or can only accept the original national format...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dfx- wrote: »
    So...it's the same system of payment .i.e. a Maestro card works exactly the same as an ec card and it is the new agglomeration of all these individual old national systems, but some individual shops based on their bank will only or can only accept the original national format...?

Same with Switch in the UK, they re-branded it as Maestro, but did not really change the card, so it not fully compatible with "International" Maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

dfx- wrote: »

Pretty much.

Advertisement