Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blizzards

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

Have they split up ? Their website has not been updated for a lomg time....Just wondering ? Next big thing and all the hype etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

four18 wrote: »
    Have they split up ? Their website has not been updated for a lomg time....Just wondering ? Next big thing and all the hype etc...

They are "on a break" I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They are "on a break" I believe...

Does Rachel know? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Hey, after we last played with them, we heard that Niall was unhappy with where the band was headed in relation to where the script were headed at that point (year ago).

As far as I know they are no more as he wanted to push further but the band didnt want to follow and he believed they were holding him back, pity as they really do pull it off live and are a cool bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

They originally planned to take a year to work on other stuff though I'm not expecting them to be back any time soon.

Think Niall got a job working as a producer in London and 2 of the other lads are managing a pub in Mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't know but there's an article on them that's been on the Entertainment section of the Irish Independent website for months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to General Music forum as The Blizzards aren't rock or metal.

Mods, feel free to move somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

found this...........

'It's a break - not a break-up' say Blizzards

character.jpg by Olga Aughey
    comments.jpg Comments (2) | print.jpg Print | weemail.jpg Email
    After five years, Mullingar's favourite band The Blizzards have announced they are taking a break and will play their last gig of the year, and indeed the foreseeable future, on New Year's Eve in Mullingar's Greville Arms Hotel.
    Stating family and personal commitments, the much loved home grown band will be taking a break before starting the recording of their third album, and expect to return to the music scene in Autumn 2010.
    With two Meteor Awards under their belts for Best Irish Live Act, two high profile support slots with Oasis and AC/DC last summer, and both of their albums receiving platinum status, the announcement that the band are taking a break may have come as a shock to their massive fan base, but is it a "break", or a break-up?
    Direct from playing a sold out show in Dublin's Olympia Theatre, their biggest headline show to date, drummer Dec Murphy told the Westmeath Examiner about the decision to take a sabbatical so early in the band's flourishing music career.
    "It's a break to give us a chance to get back to the right place creatively, it might be four months, it might be six months, we can't rush it but we will be back within the year," commented Dec.
    "We all have different things going on personally, like I have a baby on the way so it's right to take a little bit of time out. We will miss it, especially the gigging and we get on so well it's just amazing, we've had our rows over the years but we still enjoy each others' company," he continued.
    "There's no point and making a mediocre album just for the sake of it and I think in stepping back we will be able to appreciate how special a thing we've got going on here," he added.
    This year was The Blizzards' first attempt at breaking into the British market, could it have been the pressure of this that influenced the decision to take a few months off?
    "England will always been top of any Irish band's list and everybody wants to break that market, but so much of it is out of your own control," says Dec.
    "The thing that's brilliant about the Irish music industry is that it's very open to different music genres, if you're good you are appreciated, but in England it is a very niche market, so personally I given up the obsession with the whole England thing, at the end of the day you need to be true to yourself and that's what it's about.
    "Yes we'd love after we record our third album to release it in England and for it to go very well over there, but it is definitely not the way we are going to approach it."
    However, realistically speaking, The Blizzards realise they do need to make a go of it across the water:
    "The market is too small here to make a decent living out of it, but money is not a big deal for us, as long as you have money to get by and you love what you're doing, then that's all that matters."
    So what have the boys lined up for the months ahead? Well frontman Niall Breslin is starting 2010 afresh in London as a songwriter/producer for 19 Entertainment, whose main man - Simon Fuller, is the multimillionaire behind the Spice Girls and American Idol, and who also discovered Amy Winehouse.
    Breslin says he's determined to return from London a much better songwriter and learn all he can about pop production:
    "I want to know everything before I sit down and write The Blizzards' third album," said Breslin.
    "I want people to get the right message here, that why we're doing this is definitely for the greater cause of The Blizzards."

"It's a total break, it's not a break-up," he insisted. Have your say. Post a comment on this article.

Advertisement