Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody played reach yet?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I Played this over at a mates house last night and have to say i am very very impressed.we stuck on Halo 3 and played it through first to make a the best comparison against the benchmark and it destroyed Halo 3.
    Got through the first 2-3 hours of the campaign and it is unbelievable fun, every aspect of the game is better and more refined
    -story
    -graphics are amazing
    -level design is great
    -refined guns
    -much smarter a.i.
    -better vehicle controls
    -better voice acting
    -the score

I really am very impressed and can't wait to see how this game is received cos it will be up in red dead territory for high scoring with the critics and fans alike.

thought one or two of ye guys might appreciate an insight in to what is in store.

p.s i am not a Halo fanboy just a fan of first person shooters in general

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

How has your mate got it so early? It's not released for weeks yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yes

its still embargoed though, so cant talk about it

to be cryptic though, i disagree strongly with some points in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Helix wrote: »
    yes

its still embargoed though, so cant talk about it

to be cryptic though, i disagree strongly with some points in the OP

Thats a shame, didn't realise we were not to talk about the gameplay as it is before its release date? it was off a modified machine but there are retail copies given out by radio stations and the like over the last week or so.

helix- i would be very interested to know how you are disapointed with the game.

I think i enjoyed so much cos i wasn't expecting anything special at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

games media cant talk about games before the embargo is up. well, we can. i do on my facebook, but thats not quite the same thing lol. its nothing legally binding or anything, its just a courtesy thing... you give me the game early and i wont say anything til im allowed to, basically

the game didnt disappoint me, i just didnt agree with some of your points is all really

any retail copies given out this week or so wouldnt actually be delivered til the release date, or close by anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Playing Halo Reach at min have it a while didnt want to play it as once i play it i cant go on live or i will b banned but the temptation got to me. Its good on the fifth mission now
    its different than other halo but the same at the same time. like ememys are a small bit thinner and faster the buttons are changed around mellee is right bumper and left bumper was change granade type is now power shield or sprint or what wot ever upgrade thing u pick up.
    overall enjoying it. their also a bit skimpy with achievements cant wait till 17th of september it will b the first time i play it online as i will be back in college the day it comes out so works out kind of good playing it early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Having played it at Gamescom (for 40 minutes), Firefight/General Spartan Vs Elite AI combat is everything I could have hoped for, they're so tenacious and smart, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Is this not out on the 13th like everyone else or are we going to have to wait until Friday for it to be out over here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

CrazyFish wrote: »
    Is this not out on the 13th like everyone else or are we going to have to wait until Friday for it to be out over here ?
    It's out on the 14th...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

It's out on the 14th...
    Yeah cheers would have been annoyed if we had to wait till Friday. Also I keep thinking the 13th is a Tuesday for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Cleared the Campaign on Legendary with 3 friends over system link on Monday. Enjoyed it alot.
    Character development I though was poor though, but gameplay was great and have no real interest in the characters anyway. Pretty short game though. Started playing about 16.30, with about an hour of a pizza break at around 19.00 ish, the credits were rolling by 22.30.
    Multiplayer is great, some classic maps back in the frame. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

just a heads up, the new Bungie.net is live, and you can pre-select your gamertag icon etc for release day

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I Played this over at a mates house last night and have to say i am very very impressed.we stuck on Halo 3 and played it through first to make a the best comparison against the benchmark and it destroyed Halo 3.
    That's a poor benchmark, because Halo 3 is a poor single-player game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

NeoKubrick wrote: »

poor benchmark eh?!

what would you compare an original alien first person shooter against?

its well received predecessor or Modern Warfare?

poor benchmark eh?!

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

poor benchmark eh?!

I would compare it to Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2: specifically, the Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Mombasa, and Delta Halo levels which is where the benchmark was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Can't wait for it, lookin forward to doin the campaign but i keep getting yo-yo feelings for the multiplayer.

i did love halo 3's multiplayer couldnt get enough of it when i got to play with the lads

But..

wenever i tell any of my friends about the multiplayer, i'm usually asked wat it's like compared to halo 3, and i state that it is very different in a sense compared to halo 3's multiplayer, the first thing they always reply with is

"ooooh because it has jet packs woowww :rolleyes:"

the jet packs are the last thing i think about wen i talk Halo Reach multiplayer, as i didn't really bother with most of the new upgrade things wen i played the beta but nonetheless, still pretty cool to use wenever i DID use them.

I think it'll kill the fun for me though just playing it by meself but as i said, really lookin forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

Don't see how he is trolling, he makes a fair point.

If not for the Multiplayer Halo 3 would have been quickly forgotten about. It has a bad storyline, so-so AI, features possibly the worst level of any FPS ever (Cortana) and the climax involves driving. It also doesn't create the feeling that you are involved in a huge ongoing war, you're basically one person running around with a gun and you can't feel part of the story, Something that is not a problem in MW2 or Gears 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Don't see how he is trolling, he makes a fair point.

If not for the Multiplayer Halo 3 would have been quickly forgotten about. It has a bad storyline, so-so AI, features possibly the worst level of any FPS ever (Cortana) and the climax involves driving. It also doesn't create the feeling that you are involved in a huge ongoing war, you're basically one person running around with a gun and you can't feel part of the story, Something that is not a problem in MW2 or Gears 2.

I think the 2 of u guys are trolling.

its beyond me why u would even come on to the halo forum in the first place if u are going to put it down. thats like me going on to the World of Warcraft and saying it was crap no story no this no that. like i wouldnt even bother doing it!

Obviously, you haven't read my posts in this thread, specially:
    I would compare it to Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2: specifically, the Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Mombasa, and Delta Halo levels which is where the benchmark was set.

It's a Halo sub-forum, not Halo 3. Halo 3's single-player is poor, especially relative to the great games which have preceded it in the series. Therefore, if you were to critique the new game, you should compare it to the better games in the series and their great levels rather than Halo 3, because it'll produce a more accurate sum of the game's worth.

Halo 3 had one decent level (Tsvao Highway) and two very good levels (The Storm and The Covenant). The rest were average (The Ark), and poor (Sierra 117, Crow's Nest, and Floodgate), and two of the worst levels in a reputable series (Cortana and Halo). The Brutes were competent in Halo 2 as another enemy to battle with, but as the main enemy, they were not as interesting as the Elites were. They dared to introduce the Arbiter in Halo 2, but pussied out of completing his journey (zing!) in Halo 3; they resigned him to being playable in co-op. A story over three games needs a sufficient send-off. Halo 3's send-off was a drab chase in the middle of nowhere with uninspired and banal art design.

By the lofty standards of the series, it is a poor single-player campaign. That said, it's all the more worse then that it has one of the greatest moments in the series: taking down a Scarab. It's a shame the rest of the game didn't follow suit.

Obviously, you haven't read my posts in this thread, specially:

It's a Halo sub-forum, not Halo 3. Halo 3's single-player is poor, especially relative to the great games which have preceded it in the series. Therefore, if you were to critique the new game, you should compare it to the better games in the series and their great levels rather than Halo 3, because it'll produce a more accurate sum of the game's worth.

Halo 3 had one decent level (Tsvao Highway) and two very good levels (The Storm and The Covenant). The rest were average (The Ark), and poor (Sierra 117, Crow's Nest, and Floodgate), and two of the worst levels in a reputable series (Cortana and Halo). The Brutes were competent in Halo 2 as another enemy to battle with, but as the main enemy, they were not as interesting as the Elites were. They dared to introduce the Arbiter in Halo 2, but pussied out of completing his journey (zing!) in Halo 3; they resigned him to being playable in co-op. A story over three games needs a sufficient send-off. Halo 3's send-off was a drab chase in the middle of nowhere with uninspired and banal art design.

By the lofty standards of the series, it is a poor single-player campaign. That said, it's all the more worse then that it has one of the greatest moments in the series: taking down a Scarab. It's a shame the rest of the game didn't follow suit.

Now if you had put a point across like that in the first place I wouldn't of posted the troll picture :) I also said it before you said
    or anything that added to the thread whatsoever tongue.gif I apologise now though.

That by itself did just seem like you're going onto the Halo forum just to get reactions from people.

You make some pretty interesting points, but I didn't actually mind Halo 3 single player, thought it was a decent enough game. There were some levels that I wasn't too fond of, but I still went back for a legendary run at it :pac:

• Advertisement

Now if you had put a point across like that in the first place I wouldn't of posted the troll picture :) I also said it before you said or anything that added to the thread whatsoever tongue.gif I apologise now though.
    Yeah, my previous post was directed at wotzgoingon, because it's understandable that someone would think I was trolling from the first post alone. No apology needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

As a game series there have been some massive high points that will stand out as favourites for most gamers (final level warthog parts in Halo CE and 3) and some horrible bits (the flood, the library in Halo CE, gravemind/cortana) which probably are perceived / remembered more harshly as wretched when compared to the high points in the series.

I do think that the brutes are an uninspiring but powerful foe to fight compared to elites which seem to be always challenging and never dull to fight. I still remember co-op on legendary (if one of the players died, both reset to the previous checkpoint) on Halo CE and facing the elites boarding parties dropped off in the first level (pillar of autumn) and they were horrible/great to fight, they dodged overcharged plasma pistols and grenades at will, utilised cover behind shields and grunts. Then the white elites charged at you with swords that were instant kills. You had to lure them into following you and get your teammate to assassinate them or just unload clip after clip into them. Really great stuff.

If Halo reach brings back the cerebral approach when fighting elites and not the head-on approach that works with brutes in single player campaign then it will be a fitting end (prequel) to a fine series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i was never a halo fan before but got reach last night and wow its fantastic.....

ill be picking up halo 3 and odst as a result of playing this game..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

i was never a halo fan before but got reach last night and wow its fantastic.....

ill be picking up halo 3 and odst as a result of playing this game..

How'd you get it? Or is it on a need to know basis. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

pljudge321 wrote: »
    How'd you get it? Or is it on a need to know basis. :D
    i know someone who reviews games and he did me a small favour lol be aware you are about to become anti-social because of this game:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I still can't beat the Cortana level in Halo 3 Single Player I broke 2 Xbox 360 controllers & promised myself that I wouldn't try to pass it again cause I'm not prepared to break & pay for another controller.I presume the flood aren't in Reach i'm not a Halo fanatic so i'm not well up on the story I know it doesn't end well.They haven't mentioned them in the Previews.How long is the Campaign in Halo Reach for those who've finished it,hope it isn't a insulting 5/6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

GTR63 wrote: »
    I still can't beat the Cortana level in Halo 3 Single Player I broke 2 Xbox 360 controllers & promised myself that I wouldn't try to pass it again cause I'm not prepared to break & pay for another controller.I presume the flood aren't in Reach i'm not a Halo fanatic so i'm not well up on the story I know it doesn't end well.They haven't mentioned them in the Previews.How long is the Campaign in Halo Reach for those who've finished it,hope it isn't a insulting 5/6 hours.
    Damn. It's challenging, but not that hard. Ever try Cairo Station on Legendary in Halo 2? Now that was hell.
    The Flood would make no sense on Reach, so I'm 99% sure you're safe from them. This is about Noble vs The Raging Might of the Covenant with the Planet Reach and its population in the middle.
    I've heard it's similar to Halo 3's, so as long as you're not playing on super-Easy with no Challenge Normal, you should be fine. The description for Heroic is "The way it's meant to be played".
    Bump up to Legendary or throw on a few skulls if you're playing Co-Op.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Not to give away anything, but there are a good few old/remade maps from previous games. One of them is NOT hang em' high, but someone I played online today created a near perfect version of it with forge world! :eek:

It was awesome, seems to have limitless possiblities.... Every Halo map ever in one game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

its beyond me why u would even come on to the halo forum in the first place if u are going to put it down. thats like me going on to the World of Warcraft and saying it was crap no story no this no that. like i wouldnt even bother doing it!

Being critical isnt trolling, if you provide reasonable arguments which they have. Secondly, as it has been said, halo 3 wasn't the only game in the series, 1 & 2 were far better single player games in my books.

3 turned me off the series in a big way, everybody and there mother hyped the living hell out of the game, when I was playing it I was practically double checking to see if they were talking about the same game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Halo 2 had an absolute stinker of a single player campaign. The flood were in it far too often and whose stupid idea was it to have another Library level? The story was utter rubbish as well. Halo 3 was a return to form but I felt that FPS gaming had moved on so much that it felt horribly dated.

Advertisement