Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any John Grisham Fans?

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I just read "The Pelican Brief" in a day...

Other than his books on American football I have loved everyone I have picked up.

I heard it's a movie now? Is it any good?

My review is here >> http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2010/09/pelican-brief-by-john-grisham.html << If anyone is interested.

Do you have a favourite Grisham novel if you are a fan? I think I'm at a tie now between The Pelican Brief and The Runaway Jury...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I really enjoyed both 'The Firm' and 'Street Lawyer' when I was younger. 'King of Torts' was decent too. Thought 'Bleachers' was absolutely rubbish.

Of all oh his books, only his first novel, 'A Time to Kill' has any real literary substance (Any of his books I've read have been good or decent thrillers with little broader purpose) A Time to Kill is different though, it makes a brilliant case for the power of the law and the ability to overcome prejudice. The film with that creep Matthew Mc Conoughy was RUBBISH!

I also read 'The Testament'. I barely remember any of it, and that can't be a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Yea I did enjoy some of his books but then he started to lash them out too quickly & they became too similar and repetitive.
    The Pelican Brief & The Last Juror probably my favorites but I don't think I'll call any literature.
    Haven't read anything of his recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

The Testament was the one with the old billionaire who changed his will at the last second to screw over his bratty children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I read it years ago but I forget it now. He's three really good books: The Firm, A Time to Kill and A Painted House. Not sure if he belongs in the literature forum though.

There's a typo or two in that blog review Smiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Like a lot of people I have read him on various planes, trains and automobiles..

My favorite was the Brethren - but an element of that was that it mirrored what was going on in america at the time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Apologies, I'm quite bad for typos at times.

He seriously doesn't belong in literature or he's not a good enough author to deserve a mention? Honest question, I've never been in this forum before.

I don't read a lot of fiction, but I really like him. Well and Carlos Ruiz Zafón at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Of course he belongs in literature. He wrote books didn't he? If Stephenie Meyer is allowed a thread on here I'm sure John Grisham deserves one too :p

Advertisement