Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour harrassment

Options
  • 04-09-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm having terrible trouble with my neighbour, in fact it's turning into a nightmare. I love the area where I live and will not be forced to move. However, my neighbour has sent us a continuous bout of nasty letters (all of which I have kept). This lady is in her early fifties, a property owner and lives alone. My other neighbours informed me that she is unwell. Every weekend she calls the guards and ambulance to her door and then refuses to open the door. This occurs on a Saturday or Sunday night at about 1 and 2 a.m. most weekends. Until recently, I never heard from her. However, nasty letters started coming through my door, which for the best part do not even make sense. The last note that came through read EXACTLY:

I own my home
    I don't rent????
    I will KILL the cat if he enters my home again.

My cat has ventured into her back garden on a few occasions. Cats being cats, I cannot keep him in nor can one prevent a cat from entering a garden, unlike dogs which can be kept on leads.

I haven't responded to her recent last 4 letters but I have kept every note that she has sent. I spoke to my other neighbours about her and they said that the last family that lived in our home left due to the harrassment they recieved from this woman.

Would anyone have any advice? This woman is not approachable and I am not trained to deal with people with serious mental health problems either. Should I contact the guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You could report her for harassing you - since she's sent you letters it wouldn't be difficult to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

For the safety of your cat you can keep here in or builde a run that attaches to a window. Depenidng on the size you could try cat proofing the whole garden.

With effort cats can be kept in. They can even be trained to harness.

Good luck with the neighbour, she is unwell take nothing to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Sending notes like the one you've mentioned above is harassment. Ok, she's unwell, but you should contact the guards and let them know what she's doing. Nobody should have to put up with receiving threatening and abusive notes through the post or in their letterbox/under the door. It seems that because she got away with it with her last neighbours, she'll continue to do it. If she's that unwell she should be receiving treatment for the condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

+1 for keeping the cat in,she sounds capable of hurting her.

Do the neighbours have any contact for the family?? Maybe you could try contact them and let them know what is going on with their mother. If not there should be a community Garda who will come out and have a chat with her about whats happening.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement