Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Camera Flash 580EX

• 04-09-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Been thinking about going wireless for ages and have been looking up how to go about it. I have a Canon 5D and 580ex (I'd love the 580ex II but it won't happen for a while!). Anyway, I have a radio trigger which I use with the mobile studio but because my flash isn't the 580EX II it won't fire. I have been looking up ebay etc. but I'm not sure which to buy to connect it :confused: I don't want to break the bank either as I've a long wish list too ha ha. Any help appreciated, ye're always so good here!! :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

thinktwice wrote: »
    Anyway, I have a radio trigger which I use with the mobile studio but because my flash isn't the 580EX II it won't fire.

Is that because the trigger you have uses a PC connection? If so, just get the cactus trigger set. You'll find them on Gadget Infinity or Ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

What radio trigger do you have ? The cheap ebay ones from Hong Kong usually have a hotshoe connector which should work with the 580EX. If your trigger doesn't have a hotshoe, and you are feeling brave, you could try modding the 580EX to add a socket. I did this and it works great.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157594332102266/?search=580EX+sync+mod

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

hmboards wrote: »
    What radio trigger do you have ? The cheap ebay ones from Hong Kong usually have a hotshoe connector which should work with the 580EX. If your trigger doesn't have a hotshoe, and you are feeling brave, you could try modding the 580EX to add a socket. I did this and it works great.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157594332102266/?search=580EX+sync+mod

There's no name on it. It came with the mobile studio. It has the hotshoe connection, I have tried different settings with the flash but not sure how it supposed to connect together! Maybe I'm not, doing it right. The flash does flash red like it's waiting to receive the connection?? I'll have a look at that link now, cheers for the reply. :D

oshead wrote: »
    Is that because the trigger you have uses a PC connection? If so, just get the cactus trigger set. You'll find them on Gadget Infinity or Ebay.

Thanks, I think it must be a PC connection, the connections just don't seem to match. I'll have a look for the cactus trigger and see if it matches. I was looking online last night and was confused which one would help connect that might just be the one I'm looking for. Cheers oshead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

It might be useful to see photos of your trigger(s). Also, set the flash mode to M (manual) rather than E-TTL.

• Advertisement

hmboards wrote: »
    It might be useful to see photos of your trigger(s). Also, set the flash mode to M (manual) rather than E-TTL.

Ya tried it on manual, I don't use E-TTL. I'll try and get a pic up later today. :D

Advertisement