Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WPA2 Wireless network doesn't recognise correct password

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

For a few weeks my wireless will work fine and then out of nowhere the network manager decides the password for the network is incorrect even though it defintely isn't. After a lot of modem and computer reboots it randomly fixes itself but two weeks or so later it's back to its old tricks again. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm using a Cisco cable modem with UPC. It's not a hardware problem as the same thing happens on my laptop and my PC (which has a Ralink wireless LAN card installed).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

This is probably unrelated but a friend had a Belkin router they were having problems setting up, so I set up for them.

The wireless wouldn't connect when given the correct WPA2 password. I had a '€' in the password and the router was saving it as some other character. Once I had changed it to something else it worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try Wpa, not Wpa2. Some older pcs that aren't kept upto date with service packs and updates will have compatibility issues with wpa2

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Nope only bought the computer a few months ago and I'm running Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

It's not a hardware problem as the same thing happens on my laptop and my PC (which has a Ralink wireless LAN card installed).

This is common enough for UPC customers with the new Cisco cable modems. It is hardware related in that the laptop will probably work with every wireless router on the planet EXCEPT the Cisco device. There are a lot of threads on the subject but I'm not sure anyone has a definitive fix yet that works for everyone. Meanwhile UPC seem to hiding from the issue, probably hoping that some day a firmware update might resolve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try wpa anyway, it could solve the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Think I solved it. WPA2 and WPA2-PSK were enabled on the modem so I changed it instead to WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK and disabled the plain WPA1/2 security. Also changed encryption from TKIP to TKIP+AES as Windows was under the impression the encryption was just AES.

My knowledge of network security is limited to say the least so I kind of winged it and made educated guesses there. Seems to have worked though.

Advertisement