Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Poppy

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

I'll probably raise some tentacles..to put it mildly. I was listening to Dara O'Brian today and how he felt about wearing the poppy. It's coming up to poppy season soon. My grandfather fought in the somme for the freedom of all small nations. Some of you will say he was "misguided" but you cannot project yourselves back to the times that were in it. I live in the west of Ireland & intend to wear the poppy for november in due respects to my grandfather.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Why do you care what others think, wear it out of respect for your Grandfather, and fúck the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

That's a pretty cool story, bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fair Enough. I have no great problems with it and it makes no sense to me why it would cause any great offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I never even notice a poppy, and if some fools want to degrade you for wearing one, well they can go F themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm going to wear SS insignia in commemoration of me grand da who was in the 'RA back in the 40s. I am outraged that anyone would have a problem with me merely wanting to honour his memory,

Edit Maybe I'll pin some edelweiss over the rune's just to keep the flower theme going :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I thought this was another thread about potatoes.

My husband's dad was in the navy during WWII. He said he joined the navy because they were fed better :pac: He wears the poppy every year and so do his sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

I don't understand how the Poppy would cause offence. It's worn to remember the soliders who fought for their country and for freedom. I don't think it should matter or not. If someone wants to wear the Poppy, it's their right to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Wear it, you're grandfather had the courage of his convictions and the great war was a noble one in a lot of respects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Cookie33 wrote: »
    I don't understand how the Poppy would cause offence. It's worn to remember the soliders who fought for their country and for freedom. I don't think it should matter or not. If someone wants to wear the Poppy, it's their right to.

Yeah, why would it offend people? I think I'm missing something here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

you should start wearing it now op, don't you know there is an annual competition to see who has it on first...

• Advertisement

storm2811 wrote: »

The only people it would offend is some tosser in a celtic jersey who'd complain about foreign games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

We traced our family back and a good few of the men in our family fought in WW1 my grandmother has said this every year that she would love to wear the poppy in honour of her uncle but she could never find them for sale in Ireland

Can you buy them in the republic or would you have to travel north to get them there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't have any problem with someone wearing the poppy, well done for wanting to honour the memory of your grandfather and the principles he believed in.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't buy or wear one, even if it was solely an Irish thing

I refuse to perpetuate violence, or romanticize war for the sake of posterity

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Maybe offends is the wrong word. But some people are against wearing the poppy

I dunno Url, do you not think that some wars were noble? What would have happened if no one stood up to facism in WW2?

Of course it should be avoided at all costs but in some situations it can be necessary and a mark of respect to those who died may not be out of order, although the high commands decisions can often be questionable.

But you're right about not romanticising war, that poem Duce et Decorum est comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 death wish

I'll probably raise some tentacles..to put it mildly. I was listening to Dara O'Brian today and how he felt about wearing the poppy. It's coming up to poppy season soon. My grandfather fought in the somme for the freedom of all small nations. Some of you will say he was "misguided" but you cannot project yourselves back to the times that were in it. I live in the west of Ireland & intend to wear the poppy for november in due respects to my grandfather.

omg the last thread lasted almost 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

death wish wrote: »
    omg the last thread lasted almost 6 months.

These threads are the equivalent of trench warafare, last forever with many casualites and little gained. There should be some sort of memorial to posters in AH who've been banned in poppy threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Cookie33 wrote: »
    Maybe offends is the wrong word. But some people are against wearing the poppy

Ahh I see.
    I don't see the problem, there's probably hundreds, if not more, people living here who've had relatives or friends in the war who just want to remember them/show respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I dunno Url, do you not think that some wars were noble? What would have happened if no one stood up to facism in WW2?

Of course it should be avoided at all costs but in some situations it can be necessary and a mark of respect to those who died may not be out of order, although the high commands decisions can often be questionable.

But you're right about not romanticising war, that poem Duce et Decorum est comes to mind

I do appreciate the soldiers who fought for us and our ideals. It's a difficult subject here though.. I mean one can have remembrance and respect for those who sacrificed their lives without continuously symbolizing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

BluesBerry wrote: »
    We traced our family back and a good few of the men in our family fought in WW1 my grandmother has said this every year that she would love to wear the poppy in honour of her uncle but she could never find them for sale in Ireland

Can you buy them in the republic or would you have to travel north to get them there ?

Certainly seen them for sale in Limerick City in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'm fairly sure not many people care whether you wear it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RIP to all. The peoples army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Wear it, you're grandfather had the courage of his convictions and the great war was a noble one in a lot of respects

The great war was far from noble. Morally it was unjustified and its consequences led to world war II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 death wish

i do have much respect for the british army. the wee british isles that managed to conquer the world. much respect. but im irish. my allegiance is to ireland

i wont wear a poppy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The ulstermen fought like warriors during the Somme. Lest we forget.

The great war was far from noble. Morally it was unjustified and its consequences led to world war II.

Yes but hindsight is a great thing. I said it was noble in a lot of respects, certainly not all. It's consequences did lead to world war 2, but it also led to more equitable societies.

This is all as I understand it, I will admit my knowledge of the great war is far from comprehensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Few, if any, of the guys who fought & died believed in violence either.

Slasher, don't know why I pick you. But something you might be interested in, a coincidence of sorts.

I was on duty one night in Lebanon and got chatting with a guy I was on with. We got chatting about the first world world, and it turned out that both our great-grandfathers had joined the Royal Dubliner Fusilllers at the same time, served in the same unit on the same battle fields.

He great-grandfather later died in the war, mine survived... But here we were, generations apart, the great-grandson's of these men - serving together in another foreign land!.

OP, wear the damned poppy and fvck the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Wasn't the Ottoman Empire carved up afterwards, surely that led to a lot the current issues.
    The irish men who fought should be remembered but they weren't fighting for small nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Both my grandfathers fought in WWI, both fought in the battle of the Somme, both were shot in the head, both survived. Nothing to do with poppies. Just any excuse to tell that cool story, bro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement