Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Poppy

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Did they say "Ach, Owen, ye wee scamp, that's a brudish thung, so it is" or was it a bit more nuanced than that?

Tell us more.
    :rolleyes: For a start coleraine people don't talk one bit like belfast ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

owenc wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm doing some friendly teasing, but tell us more.

Okay, I'm doing some friendly teasing, but tell us more.

What can i tell you other than catholics here refuse to wear the poppy because its "british" and supposedly offensive. Heard them arguing about it on the radio one day near the end some of them were ready to snap eachother in peaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

near the end some of them were ready to snap eachother in peaces.

That sounds like an oxymoron, Owen.

What can i tell you other than catholics here refuse to wear the poppy because its "british" and supposedly offensive. Heard them arguing about it on the radio one day near the end some of them were ready to snap eachother in peaces.

It's a shame it's an issue in your school, one way or the other.

I hope you have managed to rise above the debate with some well-thought-out comments.

• Advertisement

It's a shame it's an issue in your school, one way or the other.

I hope you have managed to rise above the debate with some well-thought-out comments.

Oh yes i have i've learn't to ignore it though sometimes i just snap and tell them to shut the hell up!:mad: Northern ireland will never shut up about religion or get over it i don't care what anyone says........

Oh yes i have i've learn't to ignore it though sometimes i just snap and tell them to shut the hell up!:mad: Northern ireland will never shut up about religion or get over it i don't care what anyone says........

You need to move to the Republic. We don't care about any of that stuff here.

Just give us a bit of warning in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Between this thread and last year's thread, I think I'm going to get one - just to annoy the Fenians in the crowd. I might even get people to sponsor me and raise funds for the British Legion. The challenge: wear it in the Parnell Mooney on a Friday night, see how long I survive. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    Between this thread and last year's thread, I think I'm going to get one - just to annoy the Fenians in the crowd. I might even get people to sponsor me and raise funds for the British Legion. The challenge: wear it in the Parnell Mooney on a Friday night, see how long I survive. :eek:

Don't use that word it annoys me or prod either that annoys me as well.:mad: For some reason they make me feel sick and sad lol. Just don't use them they are not nice.

You need to move to the Republic. We don't care about any of that stuff here.

Just give us a bit of warning in advance.

lol not worth while i always thought the same until i came on here and seen all the insults to the british people.

• Advertisement

I think I'm going to get one - just to annoy the Fenians in the crowd.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They must have some rare old teachers up in the North, even worse than some of the ones down here.:(

lol not worth while i always thought the same until i came on here and seen all the insults to the british people.

In fairness, Owen, it's not like you ever go out of your way to charm or even plámás us all, is it?

Be nice, and niceness shall come your way.

Dionysus wrote: »
    In fairness, Owen, it's not like you ever go out of your way to charm or even plámás us all, is it?

Be nice, and niceness shall come your way.

They aren't referred at me obviously its just the reems and reems and reems of anti british threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I'm there on Friday 24th, wear it then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Don't use that word it annoys me or prod either that annoys me as well.:mad: For some reason they make me feel sick and sad lol. Just don't use them they are not nice.

I was once called a fenian bastard going to a football game. I objected as me ma & da were with me!

I was once called a fenian bastard going to a football game. I objected as me ma & da were with me!

Lol aye shows how stupid people them sectarian bigots are, they think all irish people are catholic.:rolleyes: They are so stupid apparently you aren't a true protestant unless you are in the orange order.. lol these ones don't even attend church. pathetic.

ANyway go back on topic and stop talking about those names i don't like them and it makes me feel bad.

Well, back to the poppy.

I respect the arguments put forward by people who don't want to wear it. I am less respectful of some of the arguments against people who do.

Everyone has their own reasons.

This is probably one of the most bland posts I have ever written.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Oh, had they died by Pearse's side or fought with Cathal Brugha,Their names we would keep where the fenians sleep 'neath the shroud of the foggy dew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I know stories of nationalists telling employees to take the poppy off when coming into work.

But that goes both ways with Protestants telling Catholic employees to take off Shamrock's on St Patrick's Day or to remove the Ash on foreheads on Ash Wednesday

Not wearing the poppy becacuse it's (supposedly) British: daft.

It is British: there's no "supposedly" about it. The organisers of the poppy, the ultra nationalist Royal British Legion, give the game away. No other world leader but British world leaders wear that symbol. It is used to commemorate only those who fought on the British side - nobody else is commemorated by the British poppy. Why are you in denial of all the evidence?

As for "daftness", you still haven't offered a reason why Irish people should commemorate people who killed and were killed on behalf of the same power which has subjugated the Irish (and numerous other peoples) for centuries. Would it be "daft" for African-Americans to commemorate the Confederates based on the same rationale (some of them fought with them)? or for Jews to commemorate the Nazis because some of them fought and collaborated with them? or for Palestinians to commemorate Arabs who fought for the Israeli state? (and so on ad infinitum)

How about commemorating things you approve of? If you support British imperialism, commemorate those people who fought for it. If you don't, don't. Simple as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ok, lets get the record right - for the third time:

The poppy is of CANADIAN and FRENCH origin. Now keep that in mind because those that wish to use it and spin it as just an imperialistic symbol, will and have tried to brush over that fact - and still do so in this thread.
    These that try this stunt, do so with recitation in hope (like many before) that if enough thrown mud, political imagery is chucked, some will stick.

For example Dionyous says:
    It is British: there's no "supposedly" about it.

So what about the Canadians that wear it? (They created it as a symbol)
    What about the French that still wear it? (They then used it further)
    What about the Irish that wear it? (...For the many Irish that also died for future freedoms!)
    What about the Scotish who wear it? (Money raised from the selling of poppies in Scotland goes to the Earl Haig Fund)
    What about the New Zealanders that still wear it?
    (The Poppy is worn on ANZAC Day in remembrance and honour of all the New Zealand Men and Women who have fought and died in the service of their country in the many wars and conflicts since the original ANZAC Day - Gallipoli - April 25th 1915.

ANZAC is the acronym for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, the formation created in December 1914 by grouping the Australian Imperial Force and New Zealand Expeditionary Force stationed in Egypt. Some time later it was taken on as the telegraph code word for the Corps. The Corps made it's operational debut, together with forces from Britain, India and France at Gallipoli on April 25th 1915, where they landed against stiff opposition from the Turks. In this fighting about one in five of the 3000 New Zealanders who landed on the first day became casualties. The small cove where the Australian and New Zealand troops landed was quickly designated "Anzac Cove" and the word was soon used to describe all Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought on the peninsula, and eventually any Australian or New Zealand soldier.')

The fact is that its an international flower image of remembrance and sorrow (and internationally still is seen that way) for those that died on the fields of France and elsewhere. Thats it. No further spin and divisional bullschite.
    (Just because one side at home, with own self-motives says its something else - that does NOT make it so unless one cowers and gives in to their political staining)

Further on in years, those that wish to sneakily cause derision and divide, are trying to spin the Poppy just as a imperialistic image - well if they wish to do that - that's their right for many have actually died to give them that right (Eaten bread is soon forgotten!) - but - those with an actual education, awareness of history, knowledge of TRUE basic facts and unwilling to give into the goons past and present that wish to only paint the poppy symbiotically and slanderously as just the way they see it - DOES NOT MAKE IT SO.

A picture paints a thousand words: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8648/capturetx.jpg

The history and real meaning of the poppy is all over the internet - one example: http://www.scs.sk.ca/mak/Html/grassroots/poppy.html

Now we can give into the goons of this world and just believe the way they want to spin it or we can see it for what it is and created for.
    One way is to give into the spin, intimidation and political muck throwing - the other is to stand up with courage, stay informed of the actual facts and for a few small moments in our miserable lives, remember those that have given their lives so we can live ours today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It is British: there's no "supposedly" about it. The organisers of the poppy, the ultra nationalist Royal British Legion, give the game away. No other world leader but British world leaders wear that symbol. It is used to commemorate only those who fought on the British side - nobody else is commemorated by the British poppy. Why are you in denial of all the evidence?

so it should be more open and even handed then? so you would support the eatser lilly commemorating all those who died in 1916, not just the republicans? or you would suggest that maybe a few Dart stations be renamed to make their names reflect all those killed in 1916? or maybe on the 21st November each year, the GAA should remember the 14 men of the Cairo gang that were murdered in their beds, not just those murdered in Croke Park.

No? maybe it isn't the British Legion that is ultra nationalist then.

As for "daftness", you still haven't offered a reason why Irish people should commemorate people who killed and were killed on behalf of the same power which has subjugated the Irish (and numerous other peoples) for centuries. Would it be "daft" for African-Americans to commemorate the Confederates based on the same rationale (some of them fought with them)? or for Jews to commemorate the Nazis because some of them fought and collaborated with them? or for Palestinians to commemorate Arabs who fought for the Israeli state? (and so on ad infinitum)

How about commemorating things you approve of? If you support British imperialism, commemorate those people who fought for it. If you don't, don't. Simple as.

The poppy isn't about British Imperialism, it is about remembering those who were killed in Conflict.

If Irish people don't agree with it or want to wear it, fine, but i get really pissed off when people start coming up with all sorts of bull**** as to why people shouldn't wear .one.

For people in England, Scotland and Wales the poppy is entirely different. Ireland got off lightly in both wars, in Britain we had conscription, so a huge amount of those men we are remembering had no choice. They were forced to go and fight.

The world does not revolve around Ireland and it would be nice if the Irish nationalists would remember that and respect their neighbouring country.

a few Celtic fans (who the Scottish Celtic fans claim were all Irish) disgraced themselves on remembrance day last year. it will be interesting to see if they try the same again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Between this thread and last year's thread, I think I'm going to get one - just to annoy the Fenians in the crowd.

Hey! Good reason!! :rolleyes:

Of course you've just left the way open for everybody of a strong republican/nationalist/Brit-hating disposition to say: "See? It's not about ""Remembering the Fallen"" at all. It's just about winding people up."

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Biggins wrote: »
    Ok, lets get the record right - for the third time:

Not gonna work. You attempt to say its internationalised yet most nations who use it have the British Queen as their Head of State!!
    Biggins wrote: »
    Now we can give into the goons of this world and just believe the way they want to spin it or we can see it for what it is and created for.
    One way is to give into the spin, intimidation and political muck throwing - the other is to stand up with courage, stay informed of the actual facts and for a few small moments in our miserable lives, remember those that have given their lives so we can live ours today!

You fail to realise its a hijacked symbol and its especially hijacked by Unionists here in Ireland.

You should direct your anger of the hijacking of the poppy at the hijackers, not the critics.
    so it should be more open and even handed then? so you would support the eatser lilly commemorating all those who died in 1916, not just the republicans? or you would suggest that maybe a few Dart stations be renamed to make their names reflect all those killed in 1916? or maybe on the 21st November each year, the GAA should remember the 14 men of the Cairo gang that were murdered in their beds, not just those murdered in Croke Park.

No? maybe it isn't the British Legion that is ultra nationalist then.

There is a difference between remembering freedom fighters and oppressors.
    The poppy isn't about British Imperialism, it is about remembering those who were killed in Conflict.

If Irish people don't agree with it or want to wear it, fine, but i get really pissed off when people start coming up with all sorts of bull**** as to why people shouldn't wear .one.

For people in England, Scotland and Wales the poppy is entirely different. Ireland got off lightly in both wars, in Britain we had conscription, so a huge amount of those men we are remembering had no choice. They were forced to go and fight.

Proceeds go to every member of the British army in every war/conflict zone, that I strongly disagree with.

If the proceeds did not go to the killers of 14 unarmed civilians at Bloody Sunday and 173 other unarmed civilians killed by British soldiers between 1970 and 1973, where those British soldiers are now in retirement, it would be a starting point.
    The world does not revolve around Ireland and it would be nice if the Irish nationalists would remember that and respect their neighbouring country.

a few Celtic fans (who the Scottish Celtic fans claim were all Irish) disgraced themselves on remembrance day last year. it will be interesting to see if they try the same again this year.

The world does not revolve around Britain either. If the average Brit realise the hurt and pain that was done in their name here, another plus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

gurramok wrote: »
    Not gonna work. You attempt to say its internationalised yet most nations who use it have the British Queen as their Head of State!!
    So what if they do - so what if they see Jedward or Lord Lucan as their head of state - that does not IN ANY WAY take away from the original intent of its use. Only attempts to mask it!
    Only those with an agenda of their own will FURTHER attach political significance to it - what thats what's happening here by those that wish to spin it further!

Sorry. Some of us will still tell/speak of its proper and true meaning.
    gurramok wrote: »
    You fail to realise its a hijacked symbol and its especially hijacked by Unionists here in Ireland.
    You should direct your anger of the hijacking of the poppy at the hijackers, not the critics.
    Indeed and its being hi-jacked by a small minority too by some on our side.
    The unionists are not here however to reply to but some of those that are just seeing it with the imperialist spin are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Aw I thought this thread was going to be about Opium products:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

OMG:mad: Every year i have to listen to this from protestants and catholics who obviously don't know their history. The poppy is world thing not a british thing! Anyone can wear it, the catholics here have this thing that its british and its not! In our school every year they sell them and the protestants put them on and look over at the catholics as if to say stfu, its the most stupidist thing i've ever heard in my life it just makes me wanna slap some people in my class over the face and give them a reality check. A wee girl in my class was bitching about a wee boy because he was catholic and wearing a poppy i so felt like screaming my head off her.. ugh omg. I hate this country so much! The bickering, bitching and backstabbing between protestants and catholics in my class is getting unbearable i can't cope anymore with this ****!

that has to be up there for most irritating post to read on boards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Will football teams in the UK have the poppy embeed into their shirts again this year? What football teams didn't do it last year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement