Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

owenc wrote: »
    Whatever i just know why you care about another country, its none of your business. no offence like.
    I think you will find it is my business.... we are all Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Not if you believe Tom Cruises cult! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No heres how it goes.

The republic of ireland : Irish.

Northern Ireland: Northern irish.

And in that case Northern Ireland is none of your business.

As you well know, I am talking about the northern part of this island. The six. Stop being obtuse.

Whats the six? and don't call me obtuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Why does anyone decide to become anything? Was not a conscious decision. And as we are so fond of subcategorizing people my feelings and opinions would be under the rather large republican umbrella.

Anyway, enough about me.

I thought you and Owen weren't on speaking terms anymore Benito???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Whats the six? and don't call me obtuse.

Owen pretending you don't know that the phrase "the six" refers to the six Ulster counties currently under UK sovreignty is just childish and immature....oh wait you are a child...carry on there junior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Owen, have you fully shared your views on the poppy with us yet? Or was there something else you wanted to talk about?

No heres how it goes.

The republic of ireland : Irish.

Northern Ireland: Northern irish.

And in that case Northern Ireland is none of your business.
    We can both play at this game Eoin.... There is no such place as the ROI.

I thought you and Owen weren't on speaking terms anymore Benito???
    His childish ramblings and his unwavering course towards humiliation and further illustrating his intellectual shortcomings(due to age no doubt) amuses me. Plus I am simply DYING to know what his relations have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.maplandia.com/new-caledonia/roi/:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yes there is. Ask Thierry Henry. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Expresser

I'll probably raise some tentacles..to put it mildly. I was listening to Dara O'Brian today and how he felt about wearing the poppy. It's coming up to poppy season soon. My grandfather fought in the somme for the freedom of all small nations. Some of you will say he was "misguided" but you cannot project yourselves back to the times that were in it. I live in the west of Ireland & intend to wear the poppy for november in due respects to my grandfather.
    It was a very interesting and thought provoking interview. Not at all one dimensional as maybe assumed by the majority of the posted replies here. I'm sure it's available in a podcast for anyone interested in more than a visceral riposte. My grandfather was wounded in the Somme. I have never had an inclination to wear the poppy. I don't feel I need to wear it in order to respect my Grandfather. I don't know what my actions would have been had I been in his shoes....different time...different place...different person. Many went to war (and every war) believing their motives to be sound. The fact is it commemorates the participation of an Army and Country to which I owe no allegiance in a conflict mired in multi shades of grey. I grew up in a society where the emblem of commemoration was used as an instrument of intimidation and triumphalism. That, I would contend is the reason why many seem to be or are contemptuous of it. O’Brien’s comments on WW2 are indisputable and just emphasises the inability to hang this debate in any individual hook.

What the frigg is the name of your country then!!? OK, if you can be mean i'll be mean... Stop being so thick and just get over it you live in the republic of ireland and i live in northern ireland, two very different countries run by two very different governments.

Owen, have you fully shared your views on the poppy with us yet? Or was there something else you wanted to talk about?

It should be put on to remember those who thought in the world war and that is all no other reason. No one should be offended either.:rolleyes:

What the frigg is the name of your country then!!? OK, if you can be mean i'll be mean... Stop being so thick and just get over it you live in the republic of ireland and i live in northern ireland, two very different countries run by two very different governments.
    Its called Ireland mate.

Its called Ireland mate.

Aye. Ok well thats alright that can be used, but what is the name of my country.

It should be put on to remember those who thought in the world war and that is all no other reason.

That would be the conscientious objectors then. Fair enough.

Its called Ireland mate.
    Northern Ireland.

A part of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.

Aye. Ok well thats alright that can be used, but what is the name of my country.

The UK - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly abbreviated to "Britain", but that abbreviation is not used much in Ireland when referring to Northern Ireland/The Six Counties/most of Ulster.

We've been through this so many times, Owen.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Northern Ireland.

A part of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland.

I'm talking about his country, he doesn't even recognise it how thick can republicans get! But yes thats the answer i was looking for, for the name of my country not the north or the north of ireland or any other pathetic answer!

• Advertisement

The UK - United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly abbreviated to "Britain", but that abbreviation is not used much in Ireland when referring to Northern Ireland/The Six Counties/most of Ulster.

We've been through this so many times, Owen.

I'm talking about my area of the uk.

I'm talking about my area of the uk.

Coleraine.

I'm talking about his country, he doesn't even recognise it how thick can republicans get! But yes thats the answer i was looking for, for the name of my country not the north or the north of ireland or any other pathetic answer!
    The 26 county state on this island is not called the Republic of Ireland.

Ireland or Éire. If you want to be pedantic.

Coleraine.

:rolleyes: I guess your being thick as well.

What is the Republic of Ireland then?

How do you even say that?:confused: The officual name is The republic of ireland end of!

:rolleyes: I guess your being thick as well.

Only going on the information you've provided. Coleraine, Northern Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I haven't read through this thread yet but I will be following it closely from here on it. If you were naughty, expect a ban/infraction. If you post something dodgy from here the same will follow.

So discuss nicely or don't bother.

Thanks

Only going on the information you've provided. Coleraine, Northern Ireland?

Fine i will accept that, i thought you were going to do a mussonlini act!

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    What is the Republic of Ireland then?

It's an informal name for the state known as "Ireland", which is the 26 counties of the island of Ireland. Odd, but true.

Most of us have no problem with "The Republic of Ireland".

I'm not keen on "Southern Ireland" myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement