Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Poppy

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

same answer I always give...

I believe that 99% of the men (Irish, English, German, whatever) that died in WW1 had absolutely no influence in the chain of events that brought them there. They took all of the risks, but were never in the running for any of the reward. I believe that the majority of men who underwent such unimaginable suffering did so simply because they were asked. They felt it was their duty, and they believed the powers -that-be who told them that their futures depended on it, when really, in one sense, the only futures at risk were those of the powers-that-be.
    I think it's very important that their lives are remembered. Realistically, wearing the poppy is the most visible reminder people will see during the year, especially in Ireland, regretfully. I don't think we should spend our whole lives mourning them, but I do think it's important that at least once a year, people should spend a couple of minutes thinking about the sacrifices that every soldier has made over the years, and hopefully firm their resolve that nothing like that should ever be allowed to happen again.

I wear the poppy to remember the waste of all the lives of my countrymen (and all the others who were butchered), some of whom died at half my age, who were lied to and tricked by the governments of the day, and who sacrificed their lives thinking they were doing the right thing. It's got nothing to do with the Brits, or the Irish, or the Germans, or the Free State or any of that. It's to remember the sacrifices of normal guys, who went to their death, rightly or wrongly, for me. It's my way of thanking them, and I couldn't give a bollocks what anyone thinks, I'll wear it every November.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Such a lot of hot air being exhaled around here.

Here's a simple fact: I don't remember seeing a single poppy on anybody's breast in the streets in Dublin last year. Not saying it didn't happen. Just that I didn't see it.

Maybe we could have a "Spot the poppy" page, where people could record when and where they saw people wearing one. No names, no photographs. That would be intimidation.

But I think there are a lot of people here talking a good game. When it comes down to it, they just like to wind people up.

Which kind of supports the misgivings many non poppy wearers have about the whole thing.

OF course, it's not even poppy season yet, so we have to wait a few weeks. But from November 1st on....it's Poppy Twitchin' Time.

I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Wear a white poppy to commemorate all the victims of wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

tbh wrote: »
    same answer I always give...

I believe that 99% of the men (Irish, English, German, whatever) that died in WW1 had absolutely no influence in the chain of events that brought them there. They took all of the risks, but were never in the running for any of the reward. I believe that the majority of men who underwent such unimaginable suffering did so simply because they were asked. They felt it was their duty, and they believed the powers -that-be who told them that their futures depended on it, when really, in one sense, the only futures at risk were those of the powers-that-be.
    I think it's very important that their lives are remembered. Realistically, wearing the poppy is the most visible reminder people will see during the year, especially in Ireland, regretfully. I don't think we should spend our whole lives mourning them, but I do think it's important that at least once a year, people should spend a couple of minutes thinking about the sacrifices that every soldier has made over the years, and hopefully firm their resolve that nothing like that should ever be allowed to happen again.

I wear the poppy to remember the waste of all the lives of my countrymen (and all the others who were butchered), some of whom died at half my age, who were lied to and tricked by the governments of the day, and who sacrificed their lives thinking they were doing the right thing. It's got nothing to do with the Brits, or the Irish, or the Germans, or the Free State or any of that. It's to remember the sacrifices of normal guys, who went to their death, rightly or wrongly, for me. It's my way of thanking them, and I couldn't give a bollocks what anyone thinks, I'll wear it every November.

What colour?

Hopefully a white one to show your disgust at their sacrifice by the imperial powers of the time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

gurramok wrote: »
    What colour?

Hopefully a white one to show your disgust at their sacrifice by the imperial powers of the time..

I didn't know that such a thing was available - I would wear that in preference to the red if I found one. However, I stress again - I wear it for my reasons, and whatever is read into that by others doesn't concern me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

tbh wrote: »
    I didn't know that such a thing was available - I would wear that in preference to the red if I found one.
    https://secure5.positive-internet.com/~janmel/buypoppy.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement