Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Poppy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The British armed forces should be providing for her ex-service men not handouts from the public [or Blairs blood money].

That's a good point. The British Legion campaigns for exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The British armed forces should be providing for her ex-service men not handouts from the public [or Blairs blood money]. The poppy appeal releases the obligation on the British armed forces and allows them to funnel the money elsewhere.

As far as i know any person Irish or otherwise who served in the brittish armed forces is entilted to a pension,which though not much is paid monthly , they just have to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    It is for members of the BA who have died since WW1, it is NOT just those who died in WW1.
    Irish people have served in the BA. We will remember them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Irish people have served in the BA. We will remember them.
    Seen as you have such a keen interest in remembering Irish soldiers I trust you wear an easter lily?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I wear the poppy as a sign of respect/remembrance for all who've died in war. I don't advocate violence, I don't wear it for any political reason, I don't approve of the majority of the wars, but that doesn't mean I value the lives of those men who've died any less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

brummytom wrote: »
    I wear the poppy as a sign of respect/remembrance for all who've died in war. I don't advocate violence, I don't wear it for any political reason, I don't approve of the majority of the wars, but that doesn't mean I value the lives of those men who've died any less.

Reasonable response: Indeed. And that is how most people wear the poppy.

AH agitator response: So you're in favour of genocide, then, are you? Eh? Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

BluesBerry wrote: »
    We traced our family back and a good few of the men in our family fought in WW1 my grandmother has said this every year that she would love to wear the poppy in honour of her uncle but she could never find them for sale in Ireland

Can you buy them in the republic or would you have to travel north to get them there ?

I get afew from the local protestant clergyman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

brummytom wrote: »
    I wear the poppy as a sign of respect/remembrance for all who've died in war.... I don't wear it for any political reason

Does your remembrance including Irish freedom fighters, Germans, Austrians and everybody else who fought against the British?

Somehow I don't think the British poppy was designed to commemorate such, well, "people". Don't be too surprised if people don't get your idiosyncratic interpretation on the meaning of the British poppy. I don't think that any day soon you'll find the Royal British Legion saying their poppy now commemorates all those people who fought and died for Irish freedom from British imperialism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

hitler hitler hitler hitler hitler hitler hitler

Hopefully this thread will end soon :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Dudess wrote: »
    The naa-naa-na-naa-naa language you were using?

WTF? :confused:

Seriously, I'm not seeing it at all? I'm pretty sure I didn't say naa na na na and so on either?

• Advertisement

Sorry, Dionysus, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Is English your first language?
    The B]Royal[/B], you forgot [I]Royal[/I British Legion in the Republic of Ireland provides support to exB]British[/B-servicemen and their families in Ireland, and as far as I am aware does not channel funds into supporting illegal wars. It is not only British people who benefit from donations.

That is true; it also supports those Irish people who fought for the British state as it persecuted, occupied and tortured populations across the world (including very, very many Irish people). And you support rewarding such people?

Saying the money does not go to financing wars but rather to relieving the responsibility of the British state to finance the well-being of its former cannonfodder/soldiers is akin to saying I don't give money to the IRA but I'll give money to the prisoners' wives and dependents' fund of volunteers. You are subsidising/financing the British military when you donate money to the Royal British Legion. Dress it up as you will. You are supporting British warfare against all others (including the Irish) when you buy a British poppy.

I wear one to remember all who have fallen. But mostly to ceremonies to remember the peoples army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

Why do you have to fund a British Army organisation to remember them? Can't people simply think about their relatives instead of buying a plastic flower and funding the British Legion? How about going to your grandparent's grave and leaving some real flowers? Oh yeah, that might be too much like an effort. So much easier to pose about wearing some plastic tack from the UK on your lapel so that everyone can see you don't support the Ra.

Twas ever thus. But that doesn't in the slightest provide any coherent reason for buying a poppy and funding the British Legion.
    Effectively, doing so is providing indirect financial support for the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, since the services provided by the British Legion to their forces returning from those occupations would have to be provided directly by the army if people didn't buy those poppies.

Yes. Not the common British person of course with whom the average Irish person has a profound amount in common, but the elite. Again, twas ever thus.
    They occupy a quarter of our country, patrol our borders and our waters, oversee our lighthouses, use our police as intelligence gatherers, and so on. We are a mockery of independence really. We are a tame vassal Ireland dominated culturally and in terms of power structures by Britain.
    They do heroic work with the RNLI. They welcome our emigrants. They give us the best television programmes in the world for free. They gave us (well...some of us) the English language. They protected us from the Germans in two wars also from Spanish & French invasions and so on

They do heroic work with the RNLI. They welcome our emigrants. They give us the best television programmes in the world for free. They gave us (well...some of us) the English language. They protected us from the Germans in two wars also from Spanish & French invasions and so on
    Do you really want a list of the bad things the BA have done?

Do you really want a list of the bad things the BA have done?
    What about all the good things? D day landings, pegasus bridge, fighting to free jews in concentration camps.

What about all the good things? D day landings, pegasus bridge, fighting to free jews in concentration camps.
    Shame then that the poppy is not just in memory of those who died doing "good" things then isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Dionysus wrote: »
    Does your remembrance including Irish freedom fighters, Germans, Austrians and everybody else who fought against the British?

Yes, it does.
    Somehow I don't think the British poppy was designed to commemorate such, well, "people". Don't be too surprised if people don't get your idiosyncratic interpretation on the meaning of the British poppy. I don't think that any day soon you'll find the Royal British Legion saying their poppy now commemorates all those people who fought and died for Irish freedom from British imperialism.

I think most sensible people do 'get' my 'interpretation' on the meaning of the poppy; and every person I know wears it for the same reason

I don't wear it to be nationalistic, I wear it in remembrance of every soldier killed, on both sides. As I said, I don't approve of war, but that doesn't make their deaths any less of a tragedy.

Shame then that the poppy is not just in memory of those who died doing "good" things then isn't it?
    Do you not remember the people who have died in the wars?

Are you for real? Have you ever read a single history book on any of these issues? (and that includes those studies which show English-speaking Irish emigrants in the US did not have any significant benefit over, for example, Italian-speaking emigrants in the US)

Hah, I think the real question is do I honor those who died and fought in unjust wars, committed heinous crimes etc etc..... by wearing a poppy. No I don't.

Seen as you are so keen on remembering Irish soldiers, do you wear an easter lily?

• Advertisement

Hah, I think the real question is do I honor those who died and fought in unjust wars etc etc..... by wearing a poppy. No I don't.

Seen as you are so keen on remembering Irish soldiers, do you wear an easter lily?
    No i don't. I remember Irish people who fought together with British people and died together.

No i don't. I remember Irish people who fought together with British people and died together.
    So who cares about the Irish soldiers then unless they fought for the queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

do you not know that james connolly was british? :rolleyes:
    :pac:

So who cares about the Irish soldiers then unless they fought for the queen?
    What soldiers? The ones who didn't fight together with British soldiers? I don't care for them to be honest. Just being honest.

What soldiers? The ones who didn't fight together with British soldiers? I don't care for them to be honest. Just being honest.
    As I thought then.

Soldiers such as those who fought in 1916 and the war of Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So it is about politics then.. and not just reverence?

So it is about politics then.. and not just reverence?
    Of course. Everything is about politics. I respect what they believed they fought for but i don't remember them.

I, for one, do indeed: Tomás an tSíoda and his family (1537); Ruairí Óg Ó Mórdha (1577); Eoghan Rua Ó Néill (1649); Theobald Dillon (1691); Theobald Wolfe Tone (1798); Allen, Larkin and O Brien (1867) Pádraig Mac Piarais (1916); Joe McDonnell (1981)....

(to mention a tiny, tiny number of the largely anonymous men and women who have died in "the wars")

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Of course. Everything is about politics. I respect what they believed they fought for but i don't remember them.

That's why it's such a sticky topic in this country.. people had family members killed by the BA, and you expect them to show respect towards the people responsible, while at the same time denying that those killed were fighting for a cause which also deserves to be remembered

It's crap like that which is the reason I would never wear a poppy/lily or celebrate what has happened in the past. The place would be better of if we stopped selectively adorning people who have gone before us

• Advertisement

Ah. Thank you for your honesty, Keith. Those few people in Ireland who still believe the British poppy is an impartial, apolitical symbol of commemoration and peace please take note.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement