Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo - Inner wrist

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

I posted this up before a while back but i am still not sure. I'm thinking of heading into Dublin ink in a while to get a tattoo of a celtic cross on my inner wrist with some colour added or maybe just shaded . I've spoke to friends and i know not everyone likes them but i its for me and what i am really worried about is if i apply for jobs in the future and they see a tattoo that it might go against me.

I know almost everyone has at least one tattoo these days but just wondering what people thoughts are, managers or employeers or has your employeer ever passed a comment, its going to be covered most of time in work as i wear long leave shorts most days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

While the tattoo vs Job situation is nothing to dismiss, in reality, when you're being interviewed, you will be wearing a suit or a long sleeve shirt at least. If you're showing up to interviews in sleeveless attire then you have bigger issues than a wrist tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Genki Sudo

Diceicle wrote: »
    While the tattoo vs Job situation is nothing to dismiss, in reality, when you're being interviewed, you will be wearing a suit or a long sleeve shirt at least. If you're showing up to interviews in sleeveless attire then you have bigger issues than a wrist tattoo.

Speak for yourself, I find I'm much more comfortable in interviews when I wear my wife beater!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Genki Sudo wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I find I'm much more comfortable in interviews when I wear my wife beater!

Great answer :)

Dublin Ink have some amazing tattoos uploaded on their website or via Facebook. I'm going to send them a short e-mail about it, not to sure on the design yet but i am sure they will have some better ideas then me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

Genki Sudo wrote: »

best thing to do is cover your arms in white paint and draw a tie on with a crayon and they'll never know the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

..I have a wrist tattoo ...and have had it showing at part-time, job interviews (like christmas work )...hasn't been a problem ...

I can't say for anything 'higher' but tattoos on wrists are becoming quite common, heck 2 of my school teachers had one ...

So, I think you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have had nothing but trouble with jobs and my tattoos. i have gotten the jobs despite them, but only because they were not on my lower arms and could be completely hidden at work at all times. In each job i was forbidden to wear any girlie tops beacue most would reveal either my chest piece or my back/shoulders.

tattoos are a major factor when applying for jobs, don't try and fool yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

but bodice... how many tattoos do you have? how many would be showing?

..I was just talking about a simple wrist tat... more on the arms and ya that will cause problems with jobs...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

You'd be surprised, but people can be as prejudiced and opinionated about one visible tattoo as a sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

but bodice... how many tattoos do you have? how many would be showing?

..I was just talking about a simple wrist tat... more on the arms and ya that will cause problems with jobs...

I worry when people distinguish them selves from heavily tattooed people, like what they are doing is somehow less of a big deal, because it just a small one.

i am very heavily tattooed, but the only one in any way visible was a line of text just above my elbow. So I could easily say "yeah, its just a little one above my elbow, not like those people who get stuff on their wrists, yeah that will cause you problems with jobs."

There are still a LOT of people who see tattoos as a sign of a lowly background/criminal leanings/membership of an alternative lifestyle. And, wether you like it or not, some of those people will have control over your options in life. End of story. You can accept it, and take the consequences. but you shouldn't tell yourself they aren't there.

i only just started getting below my elbows done in the last month. I am 29, and a tattooist. I will sure as hell be wearing long sleeves when I go through an airport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

There are still a LOT of people who see tattoos as a sign of a lowly background/criminal leanings/membership of an alternative lifestyle. And, wether you like it or not, some of those people will have control over your options in life. End of story. You can accept it, and take the consequences. but you shouldn't tell yourself they aren't there.

My father is one of those... Thus why I nearly always have a ton of bracelets on my wrist when I'm around him. That or my sleeves pulled far down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tattooking

I agree, Id wear my wife beater too, I love to show my tattoos off, thats why I got them! besides theres no hiding all my tattoos anymore lol, both sides of my neck, everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I've tribal ink down both my arms right to the wrists.
    As I wore a shirt to my job interview made no difference.
    At this stage now everyone on work knows I have ink and there are days I wear a t shirt to work.
    Never had any hassle at all.

But for an interview I'd cover them up, like some of the other posts have said there still is a prejudice against them with some people

Advertisement