Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax return for tuition fees

Options
  • 04-09-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

I'm a new International student to DIT. I just knew that we can claim for the tax return for the tuition fees. Does anyone know the detail on how we can do this, where to claim, how much we might get etc?

Thanks for taking time.
    Sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MyMelody

Hi Sam,

welcome by another student from abroad :). I am not sure if you can claim tax return. I asked the Mature Students Officer about financial issues, and this is the reply I got concerning tax relief:

"As you have not been paying tax in Ireland, you would not be eligible to claim tax relief. However, you may be able to claim tax relief from the tax system of your home country, but you would have to look into that yourself, as I'm not familiar with how the system works there."

Have you ever lived / payed tax in Ireland? You should try to ask DIT by yourself, if you get other information than the one I got, I'd be happy if you could post it here because I am interested in this topic myself.

Cheers, MyMelody

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

My Melody

Do you have to be paying tax? what if i have just finished college and want to return as a mature student thus having not paid tax but yet being from ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

My Melody

Do you have to be paying tax? what if i have just finished college and want to return as a mature student thus having not paid tax but yet being from ireland?

No you cannot How can you epect to claim tax back that you have not paid?

THere may be other funding opportunities for you however as in Irish mature student, things such as student grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

i have been paying a tuition fee for the last two years in college (DIT) and have claimed tax relief but it is in my mother's account as she's the one who pays for it. so they do the tax relief on her. if you have parents who live here as well as you and working, i'd say they could claim it on your behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sodabread

You can claim tax relief of 20% on tuition fees paid up to a total of €5000. So you potentially can get a tax credit of €1000.

If you want to claim it yourself you may not get full value if you are not working. If possible ask your parents to pay it on your behalf so they can get the full value of the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 seanleavy

How many years back can you claim? Is is 4 or less?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carboo

I am in a similar situation. I just joined to DDI (dublin design institute) for the Diploma in Graphic Design and Advertising.

There is any chance i can clain back taxes.

I am a full time worker.

Thanks

Advertisement