Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Availability in Balbriggan

Options
  • 05-09-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'll probably be moving Balbriggan soon enough.

I'm wondering if UPC/Chorus NTL broadband + tv is available in the area?

If not, are there any other options. I hate having get a phone line in just to get broadband.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

The Tv is available but the broadband is only available in certain estates. Your best bet is to put the address of where you are looking to move to into the services checker on the upc website and it will tell you whats available.

http://www.upc.ie/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I tried that but unfort doesn't seem to give anything.

The place I'd be staying wouldn't be a minute from Balbriggan train station. No idea if the broadband is around that area?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I don't know for definite if you'd get it down near the station. I'm up in the newer part of Balbriggan and we can't get it but the next estate to us can so I'm not sure in what kind of a haphazard fashion they are rolling it out.

We have eircom and it pains me to pay for a landline we dont really use but it was our only option at the time. I've heard differing opinions about mobile broadband in the area, again it seems to depend on where you are in the town wether you would get a good strong signal.

Thanks for that.

I'll sort something out. I don't mind getting landline if it means I can have broadband because I won't survive without it unfort!

I've O2 3g alright but that isn't much good.

I'll have to check it out when I around the area. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

DSL is available around Balbriggan, can get upto 12Mb.
    I'd trust DSL a lot more than UPC.

• Advertisement

seanos wrote: »
    Cheers. Ah, I had the 10meg UPC in Cork City and it was perfect all year around can't complain.

I'll give the DSL ago if the cost is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I was with eircom for broadband (and UPC tv) UPC bugged me for 6 months to switch to their internet "it is available in your area be can be there tomorrow etc!"

So i said sure why not...

Turns out that only the houses in my estate (Barons Hall) are wired for internet, not the apartments so I couldn't get it, still waiting for the apartment block to be wired 4 months down the line and now have a meteor dongle instead of eircom... live and learn and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

seanos wrote: »

Granted I'm in Malahide, not Balbriggan - but when UPC came out here a couple of years ago I switched to it immediately because eircom had rubbish speeds and worse reliability than Irish Rail...since then (May 2008) I can count the number of service outages on one hand - and they've never been more than a few hours.

In my experience, eircom are a national disgrace.
    beefjerky wrote: »
    still waiting for the apartment block to be wired 4 months down the line and now have a meteor dongle instead of eircom... live and learn and all that!

One and the same now, Eircom have bought meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gevil

I wouldn't count exclusively on the map being up to date. I live in a new estate in Balbriggan and the UPC website clearly showed my area as only having TV available yet flyers were being pushed through my letterbox offering broadband!

I'd say give them a call as I did, I'm very happy with the move to UPC as I save around 30 euros a month compared to the Eircom product, both are equally reliable, i.e have their moments but all in all I think it was a wise switch.

I'll be staying in place now that has internet so sorted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement