Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small dogs

Options
  • 05-09-2010 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

We have a two 'big' dogs (a boxer and a labrador) but I'm thinking of getting a small dog as well as we love spending time with them. Just wondering from experinece if anyone could recommend any particular breed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

German Spitz Klein, they are the non dwarf version of the Pomeranian, very clever and retain alot of wolf in their look, also they shed very little and blow their coats only twice a year compaired to Labradors who shed all year round. They are sold as Poms alot in Ireland actually real Pomeranians(as far as the standard is concerned) are so rare in Ireland that I may have only seen 3 or 4 my whole life, also beware people that are selling one to you as a German Spitz Klein as they are usually Japanese Spitz/Pomeranian mixes.

They are affordable also, not costing too much to buy or feed.:)

They also do great in obedience training, can learn a new trick in under 5 mins, check out my vid to see what I mean
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwNVOd4wDug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It depends completely on your circumstances OP. How much space do you have?, what traits do you look for in a dog? Do you have kids and how old are they?, Is there someone at home all the time? How are your current dogs kept? Are you willing to put a lot of time and money into grooming and maintenance? What type of fencing do you have? Are you an active person (how much time are you willing to spend exercising the dog)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I love Westies, would always recommend them!!! In saying that though they can be challenging little guys!!!!! My experience of them is that they are independent enough and shouldn't have a problem with bigger dogs. :p

What is the temperament of the two guys you already have?? That should influence the breed you go for. How are they with little dogs? :)

Advertisement