Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights on Salmon Wier

Options
  • 05-09-2010 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Was walking over the salmon wier bridge to the Cathedral tonight at about 12ish and there was no lights on the bridge. But when I think of it its not something I would ever look out for at night time, the lights are styled to an old fashion but I always assumed they worked!?!

Before you ask I wasnt drunk nor on drugs :P

Only reason I found it strange is the lights at both the courthouse & the Cathedral (and surrounding areas) were fine???

Would be interested in knowing more about this as IMO it was a hazard for pedestrians for it to be open last night (the footpaths are too 'skinny')

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Well all I can say about that is that it's lethal walking across there anyway
    I have a mil fear of falling off footpaths (stemmed from stepping off them and being hit/ nearly being hit as a kid.
    Salmon weir is lethal with the amound of traffic and people traffic, have they ever thought of a footbridge/boardwalk tyoe thing?

I never understood why they built the additional footpath on the Woolfe Tone bridge but went nowhere near the Salmon Weir bridge. It's a deathtrap waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think there are plans to make a footbridge for it - but I'd say a lot of it is "protected", as it were, which might make it more difficult to make alterations to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

As a motorist who drives at night, the sooner the lighting is fixed the better.. It's very dark going over the bridge and some pedestrians are hard to spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

The footpaths on that bridge are a sick joke at this stage!! Worst is when walkin against two people standing side by side and they decide they don't want to move in out of the way! I think the college is desperatly trying to sort out a footbridge somewhere as its getting far to dangerous with the trend of more students living within the town now rather then out in Newcastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think the college is desperatly trying to sort out a footbridge somewhere as its getting far to dangerous with the trend of more students living within the town now rather then out in Newcastle

Unfortunately yon footbridge is planned, afaik, to go from the back of the college over to Fisheries Field - which is utterly useless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ficheall wrote: »
    Unfortunately yon footbridge is planned, afaik, to go from the back of the college over to Fisheries Field - which is utterly useless.

Oh? why is it utterly useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ficheall wrote: »

That's one of several planned bridges. The current plan (funding dependent of course) is to add an existing road bridge on the downstream side of the Salmon Weir bridge, which would also enable much wider footpaths to cater for pedestrians. The plan also entails a footbridge over the old railway arches from Woodquay to the college, although this will require agreement from the boat club too.

The bridge from the college to Fisheries Field is merely a pedestrian bridge to complete a walking loop along the Eglinton Canal and back along the river to the Spanish Arch area without people having to walk any distance along a main road.

AFAIK there is also a plan to create a new pedestrian bridge between the Salmon Weir bridge and the bridge at Mill Street at Newtownsmyth, just downstream of the Born shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The lights on the Salmon Weir Bridge do usually work (despite them being an old style). I haven't passed the Salmon Weir Br at night in a while so I'm not sure how long the lights have been out of action for. Might be worth reporting it to the ESB or whoever is responsible for street lights nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

To report a faulty street light in your area, please call 1850 372 772 quoting the pole number and the pole location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »
    AFAIK there is also a plan to create a new pedestrian bridge between the Salmon Weir bridge and the bridge at Mill Street at Newtownsmyth, just downstream of the Born shop.

I think that the fisher-people, Bowling Green residents and church (clergy trust fund or similar) are all complaining about this one, though. Doubt it will happen.

Would boards.ie users be willing to complain with them? If there is enough pressure put to them, they might actually build that footbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My flatmate was walking over that bridge last week and their were lads working on the cables. As he was passing...one fella went to cut a line and there was a big flash...after which they looked at each other "**** **** that line is still live!!!!".

I kid you not, he was not impressed as if any of them did get electrocuted, his impulse reaction as he passed would have probably been to pull them away...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The streetlights on the Salmon Weir Bridge were working earlier tonight when I passed by.

Advertisement