Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog just died in my arms tonight :(

Options
  • 05-09-2010 4:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭

Just spent last few hours with my wee Ginger trying to comfort him while he slowly died :( He was 15 years old.

I woke up about midnight and went up to kitchen and I could hear him barking and he just sounded weird.
    Helped him out of his kennel and he just wandered about and was breathing like he had just been for the biggest walk of his life. I thought maybe he was having a heart attack. He seemed slightly confused.

Lifted him into the open shed and put his wee blanket around him. Had to lift him twice as he went wandering in circles in the grass after a while and his back legs were going funny. I didn't want him to die out on the wet grass so took him back to shed.
    If I took my hand off him for a second he would panic. I think he knew he was dying and I'm soo happy I was there for him and that he wasn't alone. Could barely see him from the tears coming out of my eyes. I just kept petting him didn't know what else to do.

Kept telling him I loved him and that I was sorry and that it was ok to go if he wanted too even though what I really wanted to say was please don't leave me :(:(

Haven't stopped crying can barely see this screen from the tears. Brushed him one final time and we will bury him in morning when my brother comes home and gets chance to say bye. Can't sleep though. Just want to cuddle him and give him kisses and I'll never be able to do that again. Or hear him bark, he had a really cool bark :(

This is my wee man:
    R.I.P Ginger :(

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7104/andthenshesaid76.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

So sorry for your loss. 15 years is an impressive age for a dog! It's good that you were there for him when he died. Your presence would have helped to reassure him. Losing a pet really is like losing a family member and the grief can have a major effect on you. Be good to yourself over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I'm so sorry for your loss. Animals really become part of the family. I hope you feel better soon, It takes time. When my dog died I was literally heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I know exactly what you're going through OP, I lost my lab back in January, in fact I'm crying now because your post brings back vivid memories, there is a raw pain from losing a dog, I'm still not over it, can barely look at another dog without welling up.. it gets a little easier, and the fact that you were there with Ginger will help you heal an awful lot. My fella was 10 and we had to have him put down, I was there doing exactly what you were, I stayed cuddling him for an hour after and the absolute sadness of it is immense..

Keep the head up and try and think of the good times, not saying it will be easy but just know that your dog had a great life, he was loved and obviously knew it, you can't do anymore than that. There's nothing anyone can say to make it better but it's good to just tell your story as I did myself, and you've come to a place where we understand just how you feel..

This is my fella
    18070_282848400539_681165539_5006759_2776897_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Sorry OP. He looked like a real nice dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

sorry to hear ginger has left you . its great that he felt so much comfort from you being there for him i know its heart breaking . think of all the fun times youz had and that you got to spend his last moments together which is something alot of pet owners dont get to do.
    R I P GINGER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thank you guys :(
    Folks round here wouldn't get it.

He was an awesome wee dog. His fur always got soo tangled no matter how often I brushed it. Sometimes I think he did it on badness to make sure I would have to keep brushing him! Like he would roll around on the ground and get it all tangled once I had brushed him. Soo furry.

I just keep going over to him. I know it's silly as he is gone but I hate the idea of him just lying there now. He's gradually getting colder and that makes me cry even more as he's really not going to get up :(
    Just want to curl up in bed but don't want to leave him :(

What was worse was when I woke Mum to tell her and she wouldn't believe me for ages!
    She kept trying to move his paw and saying "no maybe he has just had a wee bad turn or something...check his pulse!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Really sorry to hear about your loss OP. He was a lovely looking dog.

Hopefully you can take comfort in the fact you were with him for his last moments. My own dog is 13, and had a stroke last month, so I don't expect he'll be around a whole lot longer. I just hope I can be there to comfort him like you were with Ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

I'm so sorry to hear about Ginger. First thread that ever got me anyway teary...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

So sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

So sorry for your loss :( He looked like a great little fella, full of character, I'm sure he's given you and your family years of happiness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I'm so sorry for your loss OP he was a lovely looking dog. he had a great longlife with you and it must've been s huge comfort to him having you there to mind him. its a very hard thing to get over but give it time and think of the good times. I lost my 4 year old dog 2 weeks ago suddenly and its still very raw so I know how you feel. my thoughts are with you and your family. RIP Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I feel very sorry for your loss.

Sounds like he had a good life and owner.

Good that you could comfort him in his final moments.

RIP Ginger

Didn't think my brother would be back until later so headed down to bed and listened to some music, couldn't sleep.

Then I hear the house door opening and rush up to tell him before he found him and in he walks with a wee cross already made up.

Turns out he had landed home and went to check him in his kennel and couldn't find him at first then he seen him and realised. He's happy I was there. He went over to our Dad's house straight away and got some timber and cut it and nailed it together in a a lovely wee cross.

He is digging the wee grave now but says he can't face moving Ginger. I'll do that though. Poor Mammy went out and said her goodbyes properly now it is light. She trying to hide her tears though bless her :(

Thanks for all the replies folks it has been a great help tonight, really can't thank you all enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm very sorry for your loss. many of us here know exactly what you're going through and it's something that unfortunately goes along with the pleasure of having a companion animal.
    In the long-term it will help a lot that you were there and know he didn't suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

So sorry for you and your family. I've never owned a dog so I can't say I know how you feel but your post made my cry! Ginger was blessed to have such a loving family and you were blessed to have had 15 years with Ginger. I hope everything goes ok today. It will be hard for the next couple of weeks.

Well he is gone now.

We buried him below the trees and bushes as he was always wandering about down there or hiding from the cats when he wanted peace and quiet. My brother couldn't even look when we were placing him in the grave :( and Mum gave me a big hug.

I accidentally took in dog poo on my runners so it's currently in the sitting room and some in the hallwall, but this time Mum aint complaining. Guess she is thinking this will be the last time I'll have to clean up poop brought in by shoes, so in some ways I guess she sad about it and not mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sparedog12

Sorry for your loss. Ginger looked like a great little dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Read this whole thread with tears rolling down my face.

Sorry for your loss, he looked and sounded like a great dog. I know exactly what your going through and all though you will always miss him, it does get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Jesus OP, tears rolling down my face again, nothing wrong with that though, so glad I can relate to someone else with the same affection for their dog. You should be very proud that you gave him a good send off, feel free to drop me a PM if you want to talk about it, telling someone who has had the same or very similar experience will help alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Really sorry to hear about Ginger. It must be terrible to lose such a great friend. RIP Ginger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ToniTuddle, I'm writing this with tears rolling down my face, I am so upset for you and your family right now. Your story of how you were there with him til the very end just made me burst into tears, you must be completely devastated. Losing a dog is just so heartbreaking.

I'm so glad that you were there for him in his last few moments and that he wasn't on his own, oh I'm just after bursting into tears again! Your story is so sad, I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope you are ok :( *hugs*

Your story reminded me of when our girl Newf died about about 10 years ago. She just passed away in the kitchen with us all around her, and it was very sudden too - she looked a bit unwell, we called the vet, vet arrived and within an hour or so of her looking unwell, she had gone. And we were all inconsolable. That was one of the very few times I saw my father cry, he was devastated.

RIP Ginger.

I'm so sorry for your loss again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

What a blessing you got to wake up and hold him on his leaving - I am sorry for your loss but I think so you were blessed and he, to wake up and be there - both for you and he - RIP Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

RIP Ginger, Sorry to hear of your loss , in time you will remember some of the funny things he done and his little habits. This will make you glad he was your little pal..
    I lost 2 jack russells they were both 15 too. I remember them every day, not only dogs but great friends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

RIP. from all in the donegal forum :(

Just went and thanked all of you as it has meant alot to me all of your replies. I'm glad there are other people out there who understand.

We have two small saucepans that we make up the food in for the cats and Ginger. Out of habit Mum made his dinner and only realised when she went out that he's not there anymore. :( Aww crap...managed to go 2 hours without crying now I've set myself off again :(

Poor wee cats are confused. He normally sits on the street and they go up and poke him or walk under his chin. They keep poking their heads into his kennel wondering why is he not there as usual.

He had gotten very old in the last year like it had crept up on him. He even ended up with a wee grey beard it was soo cute, like a wee old gentleman. He didn't bark as much and slept alot more....but you always knew he was there.

I wasn't even suppose to be in the country. Was meant to stay in America until the 8th of September. Warned Ginger before I left in June to not even think about dying while I was away. So I'm very happy to have come home early and been here for him.

He is with his mammy Rustie in doggie heaven now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

im so sorry ToniTuddle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Sorry to hear this ToniTuddle. :(

It's good to know you were around him for his last hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Toni I'm so sorry for your loss:(. That's so sad! My heart's broke for you. You must've had a really close bond for you to sense that the end was near. He looks like an adorable wee character. It would've been a great comfort to him to have you pet him as he went.

(You might think this is a load of crap Toni but Doris Stokes says in her books that dogs pass over into the spirit world, she was a world renowned medium. If you believe in it, it can be a comfort to know that you'll see him again one day.)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I'm so sorry for your loss, wish i could think of something to say to make it better. My heart goes out to you. :(

• Advertisement

Just went up to kitchen and Mammy was lying on the couch and her eyes all red. Asked her was she crying and she said a wee bit.

She had went to hang out the washing on the line and she got upset as Ginger was always going in around her feet while she hung up the clothes.

As she says, it's just going to take time to get use to the wee things not happening anymore. :(

Advertisement