Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog just died in my arms tonight :(

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Just went up to kitchen and Mammy was lying on the couch and her eyes all red. Asked her was she crying and she said a wee bit.

She had went to hang out the washing on the line and she got upset as Ginger was always going in around her feet while she hung up the clothes.

As she says, it's just going to take time to get use to the wee things not happening anymore. :(

It really will take a lot of time. I'm sure Ginger was part of the family and you were all very attached. I was incredibly sad for months after my dog died. I still tear up when I think about it.

Are you feeling ok yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GalwayGunner

So sorry for your loss. Anyone who's never had a dog can ever understand just what its like to lose one but take solace from the fact that Ginger obviously had a great 15 years living with a truly loving family.

RIP Ginger.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

Our dog is now 18 years old now and she hasn't got long left (Although we've been saying that for a while now!). We just know by the way she moves and when she barks that we are definitely right this time. A couple of months back she went to the corner of the shed and slept a lot. I sat beside her and cried for fear of her going. She was up and about the next day! :P

Your post had me in tears. I hope you're ok.

RIP Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

so sorry for you, i have two samoyeds, just got a new puppy a few months ago, cant even imagine what id do if they were to die, when the time does come i hope i can be with them too like you. RIP Ginger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Lost mine in April(put to sleep). 14 year old. Great memories, still have dreams of her. Sometimes when im in the backyard i think i can hear her barking in the front room to warn me of /postman/knock/or member of the family tapping on the window. You gave a lovely dog a great life. So sorry, but youll look back in the future and smile. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how crap it is.

Reminds me of a short film I saw recently which pretty much sums up what its like to lose a dog after so many years. Its really beautifully made but prepare to cry. I dont mean to try and make people cry more in this thread but hopefully someone might get something from it.

http://vimeo.com/8191217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he looked a wonderful little chap.

condolences, I lost a king charles new years night, he was the best little dog i ever had. 13 years he was.

time is a healer.

and watch hachiko and futurama, 'that one'

might make you worse though....!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

argosy2006 wrote: »
    pic

sorry bout ur dog, ronaldo just heard about it to

Have a bit of class will ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

That was a lovely post Toni T.

By the sounds of it, he was very lucky to have you as a companion in this harsh old world of ours.

Have had a few family pets die when I was young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

mars bar wrote: »
    Have a bit of class will ya?
    i was trying to lighten mood,
    but it was sad about the dog,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

argosy2006 wrote: »
    i was trying to lighten mood,
    but it was sad about the dog,

stupid post, had you ever a dog die like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    He went over to our Dad's house straight away and got some timber and cut it and nailed it together in a a lovely wee cross.

What's the point of the cross though? I can understand the sense of loss of a beloved pet, but having a grave with a cross is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

What's the point of the cross though? I can understand the sense of loss of a beloved pet, but having a grave with a cross is bizarre.

Are you serious?

Because he wanted to do something for our dog that has been in our family for 15 years. He didn't know what else to do. It's a small cross with just his name on it. I think it's a lovely idea and not in anyway bizarre. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

this ones for Ginger

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

When I lost my first pet Kim I was 16, Kim was 15 so I'd known him all my life, I sat up all night listening to Elvis singing "Old Shep" and sobbing my heart out. I know exactly how you feel TT and send my deepest regards to you and your family at this awful time.
    With due respect to E. Presley and Red Foley - If dogs have a heaven, there's one thing I know Old Ginger has a wonderful Home.

Regards
    Muas

angelxx wrote: »
    It really will take a lot of time. I'm sure Ginger was part of the family and you were all very attached. I was incredibly sad for months after my dog died. I still tear up when I think about it.

Are you feeling ok yourself? :)

I've been stuffing myself with crisps and chocolate, they always help!
    Know it will take time and that I won't always tear up.
    Don't know if I'll be able to look at his kennel though as that seems to get me everytime. With his dinner and water bowls placed beside it. Might have to move it out of sight :(
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how crap it is.

Reminds me of a short film I saw recently which pretty much sums up what its like to lose a dog after so many years. Its really beautifully made but prepare to cry. I dont mean to try and make people cry more in this thread but hopefully someone might get something from it.

http://vimeo.com/8191217

The sound on that wouldn't work for me so looked it up on youtube. That was an amazing dog. Which makes me so angry when I think about people abusing dogs when all they do is try to love you.
    he looked a wonderful little chap.

condolences, I lost a king charles new years night, he was the best little dog i ever had. 13 years he was.

time is a healer.

and watch hachiko and futurama, 'that one'

might make you worse though....!

Sorry to hear about your loss and the loss of alot of other posters doggies :(

I actually watched Hachiko and Eight Below one night last week. I was crying the whole time. Excellent films. I'd probably cry even more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

He was a lovely dog and I am sure he was glad to have a friend by his side when he passed away.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

What's the point of the cross though?

Seriously?
    I can understand the sense of loss of a beloved pet, but having a grave with a cross is bizarre.

I think you just contradicted yourself right there.

TT you know my thoughts on this.

Remember that you were with Ginger when you were most needed.

You were the one who comforted him when he was leaving and no matter how upset you all feel Ginger died with you stroking his fur like you always did.

You were comforting him when he needed comfort and you should take comfort in that yourself hun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Nice little poem about one's love for a dog.

The Power of the Dog

[SIZE=+1]There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie--
    Perfect passsion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart to a dog to tear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find--it's your own affair--
    But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!)
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart to a dog to tear.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-term loan is as bad as a long--
    So why in--Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Rudyard Kipling [/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Arragh jesus... :(

Really sorry for your loss, but at least you'll be able to draw comfort from the fact the you were there for Ginger.

• Advertisement

Jeez - I laughed at the end of Marley and Me but now I have tears in your eyes from reading this story. Sorry for your loss, OP. 15 is an incredible age for a dog to live to

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sorry for your loss :( I'm sure Ginger appreciated you being there for him and letting him go, I'll bet it was a real comfort to him in his last moments.. You're both fortunate to have had those precious minutes together at the end..

RIP Ginger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, like many other posters I have tears in my eyes reading your post.

I have always had dogs all my life and losing each one was like somebody tearing my heart out. They give so much love, expect so little in return - a walk, a rub, a bowl of food and water and a throw of a ball.

I know how you feel - it's awful - but eventually it will pass and you will remember fondly of the time that Ginger did this or chased that..

RIP Ginger.

Thank you folks for all your support and understanding.

I do take alot of comfort from the fact I was there with him. No idea how I woke up as was wrecked from night before and normally sleep right through. The thought of what it could have been like with him maybe dying alone in his kennel or out on the grass doesn't even bare thinking about.

Haven't been down to his wee grave yet since we buried him :(
    Place just seems so empty and quiet, he was always making some wee noise or talking to himself or talking to the cats in his own wee way.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

I'm so sorry for your loss. I completely know how you are feeling. My boxer Maggie died just over 5 weeks ago. The pain is still unbearable. I miss her so much. I know what you mean when you say the house feels so empty. Every nook and cranny of my house reminds me of Maggie. I hope you are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i'm so sorry toni, in tears reading this thread. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

So sorry. I was sent this when Báinín our Bichon dies: hope it helps.

The Fourth Day

by Martin Scot Kosins

If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember.

The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your young new friend.

You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked numerous opinions of many vets,

or done long research in finding a breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen

that silly looking mutt in a shelter, simply because something in its eyes reached your heart.

But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore, and claim its special place in your

hall or front room - and when you feel it brush against you for the first time - it instills a feeling

of pure love you will carry with you through the many years to come.

The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later.

It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will

look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth.

You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy.

And you will see sleep where you once saw activity.

So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet - and you may add a pill or two to her food.

And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming emptiness.

And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until the third day finally arrives.

And on this day - if your friend and God have not decided for you, then you will be faced

with making a decision of your own - on behalf of your lifelong friend, and with the guidance

of your own deepest Spirit.

But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you - you will feel as alone as a single star in

the dark night sky.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as they must. And if you are

typical, you will find that not many in your circle of family or human friends will be able to

understand your grief, or comfort you.

But if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through the many joy filled years, you

may find that a soul - a bit smaller in size than your own - seems to walk with you, at times,

during the lonely days to come.

And at moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary to happen, you may feel something

brush against your leg - very very lightly.

And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lay - you will remember

those three significant days.

The memory will most likely be painful, and leave an ache in your heart -

As time passes the ache will come and go as if it has a life of its own.

You will both reject it and embrace it, and it may confuse you.

If you reject it, it will depress you.

If you embrace it, it will deepen you.

Either way, it will still be an ache.

But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when - along with the memory of your pet - and

piercing through the heaviness in your heart -there will come a realization that belongs only to you.

It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost.

This realization takes the form of a Living Love -

Like the heavenly scent of a rose that remains after the petals have wilted, this Love will remain and grow –

and be there for us to remember.

It is a Love we have earned.

It is the legacy our pets leave us when they go -

And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we live.

It is a Love which is ours alone -

And until we ourselves leave, perhaps to join our Beloved Pets -

It is a Love that we will always possess.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

After reading through this thread I just had to get my 2 fellas and give them a big squeeze. Max and Marvin a retriever and a collie.
    TT really sorry for your loss, what a happy dog Ginger must have been.
    Such a comfort for the scamp to have been surrounded by such love in his final moments.

All the very best.

j1974 wrote: »
    ah yeah he was sound, very argumentative and sarchastic, but realy sensitive and a great conversationalist to boot!!

give over will yiz!!!!

Maybe you haven't been fortunate enough in your life to have had a dog and as a result I feel sorry for you. Because you are seriously missing out.
    If you don't understand how I feel or how alot of the other posters feel then please don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

OP - sorry to hear of your loss.

Advertisement