Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog just died in my arms tonight :(

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Aw thats so sad :( Sorry about your dog OP! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Essexboy wrote: »
    So sorry. I was sent this when Báinín our Bichon dies: hope it helps.

The Fourth Day
    by Martin Scot Kosins

That is a lovely piece of writing, thank you for sharing that.

So sorry Tonituddle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Sorry to hear that OP

I've lost a family dog twice before, it's a really upsetting experience that every dog owner goes through at sometime. Hope you begin to feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Dogs can becaome such a big part of your family and when something happens it can be devestating. At least you were there with him at the end. Again i'm so sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

RIP Ginger.

TT my condolences. I've lost a good few dogs through the years so know exactly what you're going through. Time is a great healer and you will eventually find another companion, Ginger would have wanted you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Our lovable little manic ginger Jack Russell/Terrier died around this time last year after 12 years (he also had to co-habit with cats!).

Reading your post brought it all back, but in a good way.

I don't think Ginger could have gone out any better way.

RIP Ginger. Sorry to hear that OP - brought back memories of when my red setter died a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm really sorry to hear about Ginger. Like a lot of others here I'm welling up reading this, your story was really touching. I'm so glad you could be with him when he died. I have two spaniels, and when the inevitable day does come I hope I can be there for them like you were for Ginger. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

sorry toni
    thanks for sharing with us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 miyanda

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

I posted this in another thread a min ago, but it was quite similar.

I had to have my dog (and for a few tough years, my best friend) of 15 years put down in March of this year. He was tough little cookie too, had a leg torn off a few backs too and adapted really quickly (even learned to guilt us into getting him extra treats). It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through, so I know exactly how you feel.

I still have to stop myself from calling mine when I get in the door and in that little instant that I remember just before I call out to him I get a little lump in my throat (I'm actually getting upset now thinking about it).
    It's gonna hurt for a while, but you will get over it, it just seems to take forever sometimes.
    If it does make you feel any better, you've got years of memories to look back over and laugh at. It helps me anyway

As for the 24 hour vet thing.. I know of none of these, in fact I know 1 place where the vet sits between 2 and 5pm weekedays only, if anything happens outside those hours, best get googling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am sorry for your loss OP.

In other news PostHack has been banned for 1 month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This post keeps appearing and I really feel I have to comment. I'm not an animal lover by any means but my brother is. We had a dog for 15 years and it was the only animal I had any affection for. My little bro adored the dog as they grew up together and they would wrestle with each other.

The vet had to put her down when her cancer got very bad, my brother was devastated by knew it was the right thing as he didn't like to see his friend suffer, he cried for days after. We were all upset.

My thoughts are with you op.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Because he wanted to do something for our dog that has been in our family for 15 years. He didn't know what else to do. It's a small cross with just his name on it. I think it's a lovely idea and not in anyway bizarre. :confused:

I think having a cross is a lovely idea. We did the same for our girl Newf when she died.

ToniTuddle, hope you are doing ok, it must be really tough *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

you put your feelings down in writing so welljust as we all feel at sad loss of our petyou are helping usas i know my 15 yr old will go anyday too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Roaster wrote: »
    RIP Ginger.

TT my condolences. I've lost a good few dogs through the years so know exactly what you're going through. Time is a great healer and you will eventually find another companion, Ginger would have wanted you to.

Won't be able to have another dog in the area we are currently in so shall have to wait until I get my own place. We have always had dogs for as long as I can remember, Ginger was the one we had the longest.
    tinkerbell wrote: »
    I think having a cross is a lovely idea. We did the same for our girl Newf when she died.

ToniTuddle, hope you are doing ok, it must be really tough *hugs*

Just keep going over parts of the night in my head and it seems like it's not real and a dream. When someone or something has been in your life for soo long you take it for granted they will always be there. You know they will die eventually but in your head it's like.....not for years and years.

Mum got upset again last night as she came back late from a charity dance and she normally sneaked him some treats.

Not crying as much now so I should be able to venture into public and not burst out crying! Though if one of my mates dares to say anything smartarse I will smack them round the head. One mate even sent me a dead dog joke through text :confused: Some boys confuse me! Though he normally uses humour in sad/inappropriate situations.

This support has been overwhelming. If it wasn't for Boards I'd have been in worse shape that's for sure. So thank you all x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Though if one of my mates dares to say anything smartarse I will smack them round the head. One mate even sent me a dead dog joke through text :confused: Some boys confuse me! Though he normally uses humour in sad/inappropriate situations.

Oh my god ... that is ignorant beyond belief. I would have told him to F off and never speak to me again if one of my so-called friends said that to me after the death of a pet, I mean pet is family. That is horrible. You poor thing having to listen to that crap.

It's gonna be tough for a while, time is a great healer. And you know that Ginger is looking down on you wherever he is right now :) And I'm sure he was so grateful that you were there with him in his last few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shampoo2223

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how crap it is.

Reminds me of a short film I saw recently which pretty much sums up what its like to lose a dog after so many years. Its really beautifully made but prepare to cry. I dont mean to try and make people cry more in this thread but hopefully someone might get something from it.

http://vimeo.com/8191217

Soo sad can't stop crying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Just spent last few hours with my wee Ginger trying to comfort him while he slowly died :( He was 15 years old.

I woke up about midnight and went up to kitchen and I could hear him barking and he just sounded weird.
    Helped him out of his kennel and he just wandered about and was breathing like he had just been for the biggest walk of his life. I thought maybe he was having a heart attack. He seemed slightly confused.

Lifted him into the open shed and put his wee blanket around him. Had to lift him twice as he went wandering in circles in the grass after a while and his back legs were going funny. I didn't want him to die out on the wet grass so took him back to shed.
    If I took my hand off him for a second he would panic. I think he knew he was dying and I'm soo happy I was there for him and that he wasn't alone. Could barely see him from the tears coming out of my eyes. I just kept petting him didn't know what else to do.

Kept telling him I loved him and that I was sorry and that it was ok to go if he wanted too even though what I really wanted to say was please don't leave me :(:(

Haven't stopped crying can barely see this screen from the tears. Brushed him one final time and we will bury him in morning when my brother comes home and gets chance to say bye. Can't sleep though. Just want to cuddle him and give him kisses and I'll never be able to do that again. Or hear him bark, he had a really cool bark :(

This is my wee man:
    R.I.P Ginger :(

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7104/andthenshesaid76.jpg

We're very sorry to hear about your loss, he would have known you loved him and that you were there with him until the end. We have our own little Yorkie here who we love very much also and we'll be devastated too when her time comes - she's young now - but hopefully when it does happen we'll be there with her too. Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

Im so sorry Toni, your post moved me to tears, its so sad.The bond you have with a pet is so strong and the grief is the same as a family member dying.So nice that you were able to comfort him in his last hours, Im sure he knew you were there every minute and was very glad you were there to comfort him. I hope youre ok, he looked like a gorgeous little dog.RIP Ginger x :(

Advertisement