Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Users not Owners

Options
  • 05-09-2010 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭

I have little interest in chat rooms on the internet, but daily, I check boards.ie for the many areas which interest me. I enjoy reading the comments and opinions of the varied people that post here. But I very rarely post anything (outside of Fighting Games), I don't feel I can offer more than those who have done so already.

I am becoming increasingly disappointed and frustrated at the high tolerance that moderators are showing. Forums are being bombarded by pointless threads just barely within the charter/rules. Yes i can see why moderators allow complaints and criticism etc, but small issues!

I do appreciate that users are the serf like backbone of this site, and they do an absolutely wonderful job of entertaining and informing. But the continued rate of "free speech" etc will nullify the wonderful community of boards.ie beyond its proper function within a period of time.

This is not a personal grudge, no offence is meant. If somebody has an email address that I can direct my frustrations at then please do PM this to me.

Regards
    Me
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you feel a thread should not be there, report it. It will be acted upon if just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Nobody forces you to read pointless thread that you have no interest in...

...or do they? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Orim wrote: »
    am becoming increasingly disappointed and frustrated at the high tolerance that moderators are showing. Forums are being bombarded by pointless threads just barely within the charter/rules. Yes i can see why moderators allow complaints and criticism etc, but small issues!

In fairness, you have to distinguish between what should be 'wrong' and what just happens to be unpalatable to a certain amount of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So, OP, you think Moderators on boards aren't strict enough, yes?

As Tar. says, Mods work a lot on reported posts, so they may easily have missed something. If you think a post should be checked by a Mod, please report it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm assuming this thread is an ironic take on kboc's "Moderators" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

D'oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm assuming this thread is an ironic take on kboc's "Moderators" thread.

There was also a reference to the "Mods not Gods" thread and the many others that pop up regularly.

To clarify, I've never felt that any mods do anything but their best and generally do a fantastic job. It just annoys me when you have people complaining that things don't work the way they want and they would prefer to turn things into 4chan.lite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Gordon wrote: »
    So, OP, you think Moderators on boards aren't strict enough, yes?

As Tar. says, Mods work a lot on reported posts, so they may easily have missed something. If you think a post should be checked by a Mod, please report it.

No no no, that's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that mods work way too hard as it is and should be able to relax and kick their feet up!! Anyone for tea? I have bourbons and digestives, sorry no chocolate though. :D

Edit: And in fairness, users do actually make this place what it is. I've had issues with mods but I reckon those have been smoothed over somewhat. It's easy to take things personally, especially in certain forums. It's to be expected that mods and users clash on those forums sometimes. I'm sure every mod will agree that sometimes they just think a certain user is a "dick", as they like to say, and they may just lose the head sometimes. They're not perfect and nobody expects them to be. I would personally never be a mod on these boards as I'd probably be removed by admins on my first day anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Orim wrote: »
    There was also a reference to the "Mods not Gods" thread and the many others that pop up regularly.

To clarify, I've never felt that any mods do anything but their best and generally do a fantastic job. It just annoys me when you have people complaining that things don't work the way they want and they would prefer to turn things into 4chan.lite

See? We raise 'em right in fighting games. :D

On a serious note, it's easy to focus on the noisy minority, and miss the silent majority. You're never going to please EVERYONE Orim, and as someone who I know has done considerable amounts of work forwarding a community on boards you have tried extremely hard to do so.

I learned this lesson running my first forum here. The thing is trying to discern the unpleasable minority from the legitamite points, and I guess that's part of what makes a good mod (and tournament organiser :) )

Advertisement