Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this some kind of medical thing or maybe something else?

Options
  • 05-09-2010 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Was just reading through the forum and remembered years ago I was living in a bedsit in St.Lukes in Cork (aka Flatland) and I was alone in the room and suddenly fell onto the floor, onto my back and couldn't move and suddenly I started shaking violently - I'd describe it as if you took a goldfish out of its bowl and it was flapping around, that was what happened. I was basically paralysed for a minute or two, totally aware of what was happening though but couldn't move a muscle. Very strange. Never sensed anything odd about the place or anything though.

Nothing like it ever happened again and nothing like it had ever happened previously to that either. What could have caused that? Some physical condition or something not so physical?

I've had some experiences, paranormal I guess, over the years since I was a child but no point getting into them on this thread. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Sounds a bit like a seizure, but I'm no expert. Although from what I understand, one doesn't usually remember the period of time during a seizure - and you say you were aware of what was going on the whole time? But again, no expert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Rasmus wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like a seizure, but I'm no expert. Although from what I understand, one doesn't usually remember the period of time during a seizure - and you say you were aware of what was going on the whole time? But again, no expert!

Yep, was wide awake staring at the ceiling and trying to look down my nose towards my body - weird. The only part of my body I could move were my eyes. It only lasted a minute or two at most. Remember thinking wtf?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

On the contrary it is common enough for people to maintain awareness during a minor seizure, which is exactly what it sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks, I stand corrected!

GodlessM wrote: »
    On the contrary it is common enough for people to maintain awareness during a minor seizure, which is exactly what it sounds like.

Wonder what could have caused it? Only ever happened once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

marti8 wrote: »
    Wonder what could have caused it? Only ever happened once.
    had you taken any drugs, like amphetamine? not sure now if amphetamine can cause seizure?Was there any flashing light or continious sound?

ferguson wrote: »
    had you taken any drugs, like amphetamine? not sure now if amphetamine can cause seizure?Was there any flashing light or continious sound?

No, I don't (and didn't) do drugs. I didn't even smoke ciggies back then! Coffee and that was it. There were no flashing lights or noise or whatever either. It was just a regular day until boom, I hit the floor. Weird, weird, weird. As far as I remember my jaw was also shut tightly (I think), couldn't even open my mouth. Only thing I could move were my eyes. Guess it must have been a seizure alright - just totally confused as to how it in all my years only happened that one time for a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Most likely an underlying condition that has yet to manifest, of course it is just as likely if not more likely that it was just a one off event, as many, many things can spring a seizure in even the healthiest of people. Unless it happens again I would not worry about it.

Advertisement