Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some faults with my vw passat

• 05-09-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I have problem with my 2004 passat tdi..
    the engine management remains on and the emissions workshop comes up on screen when first started..
    also I notice when I put the heater on it only blows kinda cold air and no hot air at all..
    would the 2 be connected at all
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Possible issue with the cooling system, maybe a blown gasket, check you dip stick for water in the oil, and is there coolant in the reservoir ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Possible issue with the cooling system, maybe a blown gasket, check you dip stick for water in the oil, and is there coolant in the reservoir ?

Nothing to do with the headgasket. Most likely due to the Temperature Sender on the back of the engine manifold. My 2003 Passat has the same symptoms "Emissions Workshop" display sometimes the temperature reading on the dash will jump from 0 -90 deg everyso often. Its a common problem in VWs of that era. A diagnostic scan will more than likely tell you for certain.

I wrote a how to a while back on how to service the Passat. I also included how to change out the sensor (it has a few pics also to help you along if your DIY inclined). Part is 30euro from the dealer or 20quid from otto car parts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757452

Regards the call not blowing hot air. Does the car have climate control or is it adjusted manually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

its got the climatronic .. maybe if i replace the temp sensor it will fix the problem with the heating too as the two could be connected..

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I doubt that the 2 problems are related. There are 2 rads on most cars 1 for cooling and 1 for providing the hot air for the cabin. I recon that the mixing mechanism (i.e. to regulate the hot/cold air into the car might be stuck or failing to operate (failed servo/motor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Get the car scanned with VCDS and see what faults it throws up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

barely a day seems to go by but there is a new thread about problems with a passat.

ok have fitted a temp sensor from another passat and yes E/M Light has went out and nothing shown now on computer screen But i still have no hot air in the car so seems they not connected after all. was hoping it would solve both problems:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

kincaid wrote: »
    ok have fitted a temp sensor from another passat and yes E/M Light has went out and nothing shown now on computer screen But i still have no hot air in the car so seems they not connected after all. was hoping it would solve both problems:(

Did you check the coolant level? If it's below normal check the front carpets for moisture. It could be heater matrix failure if it's not just a coolant top-up needed.

samsemtex wrote: »
    barely a day seems to go by but there is a new thread about problems with a passat.

And renault,toyota,BMW....your point please and how is this helpful to the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

tossy wrote: »
    And renault,toyota,BMW....your point please and how is this helpful to the OP?

My point is that Passats seem to be awful lumps of ****.

• Advertisement

samsemtex wrote: »
    My point is that Passats seem to be awful lumps of ****.

How does this pearl of wisdom help the OP fix his problems?

ok thanks, the coolant level seems ok but found battery sitting in some water as drain holes were blocked cleaned these out and put battery back and then checked passenger floor panel and found some water underneath carpets (did soak thru)and the black plastic box seems dry inside/out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

With regards to the coolant level, when you switched the sensors did you lose much fluid?

When I was changing mine the general consensus was that you needed a top up afterwards.

Just a little thing in case.

Hope it works out.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=vw+passat+water+footwell&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

thanks yes lost some ok, just topped it up but glad to get that end of it sorted anyway,
    now to get some heat back in the car as could do with it these mornings il tell ya

How would the heater only blowing cold air point to the HG ?

didnt show anything up on computer but someone mentioned it could be waterpump fins or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I recon that the mixing mechanism (i.e. to regulate the hot/cold air into the car might be stuck or failing to operate (failed servo/motor).
    +1 Not uncommon (even in cars that are not Passats :) )

RoverJames wrote: »
    How would the heater only blowing cold air point to the HG ?

Gas ("air") instead of coolant in heater matrix? Anyway, in case of passat TDi with a metal hg = clutching the straws.

Advertisement