Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc Covers

• 05-09-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

I see http://www.bike-science.com/ are now reselling the wheelbuilder.com disc covers. Anyone ever use one? They get good reviews on tritalk, not going to be as good as a sub9 but apart from the weight penalty they perfom well... apparantly.

£100 seems a little steep for two pieces of plastic, wheelbuiler.com is $80 but postage is the same again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Probably will do the job, considering that a very popular wheel wheel like the Hed Jet (which tests better than a sub 9 in some tests) is in fact a spoked wheel with a very soft and flexible cover on it anyway.

I don't like them myself though, the covers that is, look a bit nasty and ugly components cost you +25 seconds in a TT according to research I just made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A few lads in my club got them from the US. Cost of shipping is the same for 10 as one. So get a group order in.

If taped on and not buttoned on they are almost as good as a disc. (But then we have to get into bulged disc versus flat disc versus lenticular disc and thats a discussion for a cycling forum).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tunney wrote: »
    thats a discussion for a cycling forum
    ouch!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Seems like a good option for using a 32 spoke powertap as a race wheel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

mloc123 wrote: »
    Seems like a good option for using a 32 spoke powertap as a race wheel then.

Or even better over 404 with powertap.

THe lenticular/flat thing is a big debate.

FWIW i love mine, have a disc two but want to use power, and dont have SRM's etc*

*not using the Polar system on a TT bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

mloc123 wrote: »
    £100 seems a little steep for two pieces of plastic, wheelbuiler.com is $80 but postage is the same again.

but then again the only alternative is about 10-15 times the price..for cheap ones and they are nearly as good.

me@ucd wrote: »
    but then again the only alternative is about 10-15 times the price..for cheap ones and they are nearly as good.

They used to be <$50 then some wind tunnel data came out on them and suddenly a $50 increase in price...hmmmmm wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

billy.fish wrote: »
    Or even better over 404 with powertap.

THe lenticular/flat thing is a big debate.

FWIW i love mine, have a disc two but want to use power, and dont have SRM's etc*

*not using the Polar system on a TT bike

404 or indeed an 1080 with PT and cover would be great... I'll have to stick with training PT wheel for the moment :)

Out of interest... when would you use the polar system over PT? Much weight difference between disc/404+PT+cover?

Only use the polar system on the track bike at the moment.

Have a training PT (open pro) and a racing PT (404). Both used for tri and cx.

Polar is great and all. but useless on a turbo or MTB.

Advertisement