Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikesafe yesterday, (Galway)

• 05-09-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭

...just a note of thanks, really.

To the two GTC Paddy and Ollie, who held the first Bikesafe assessments in Galway, yesterday.

A few of us did it, and I have to say it was a great exercise. There's no brownie points, there's no lecturing, there's no big insurance discount for doing it (afaik..), just an honest appraisal of your skills, by guys whose skills are way above ours, which will hopefully inform our riding, to improve it, and to keep us on our toes.

It's a brilliant service, doesn't cost a cent to do, is elective, and given the emotive subject that road safety is, shows you how road safety education should be done, by engaging, rather than alienating/pissing off, people.

Curiously, to me, it also shows what I've always thought to be true: that a greater % of motorcyclists are interested in skill-learning, compared to car-drivers, and makes you wonder if the RSA got their finger out and did a similar scheme, aimed at the (usual) audience, for cars, they'd get a far better response to their calls for driving standards to improve.

Bikesafe people, in word and action. No reason not to.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I think if you pass the Bikesafe course you can get a 10% discount from Adelaide. They are the only company recognising it.

So, did you pass? I did it last year and found it very good, definitely well worth doing. I failed on a couple of things (harard perception being the main culprit), but it was a good incentive for me to get out and do some further training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...yeah, 39 out of 40 points........and I argued about the 1 !!:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...yeah, 39 out of 40 points........and I argued about the 1 !!:D

Well done, I was out on Saturday. I think the rain is directly my fault. It started when I went out to put on the bike gear.

Anyway, I would echo your sentiments regarding BikeSafe. I found it well worthwhile, and I even was delighted to be marked stricter because I have the RoSPA! Couple of 4's and 5's and a few decent pointers on where I have to work at for my (third time lucky) attempt to get the Gold RoSPA next year.

I generally fell foul of becoming comfortable with the lazy V-Twin. I lapsed too easily into engine braking, which doesn't convey as much information to other road users as driving the brakes.

Of course the corollary to that is the racing reason for not using engine braking is that you slow quicker on the brakes, so if you are engine braking, why don't you just go faster for that bit longer and then use the brakes to their fullest!

Obviously I didn't mention that aspect to the Garda :)

Personally I think that the chat they do beforehand on the dangers of motorcycling is pretty good, and it certainly made me think on my commute this morning. Problem is though, in general with these courses (as all advanced driving) those that could benefit most from extra (any training at all) don't see the need to attend them.

Aah well, hats off to the Gardai for doing it, and I will continue to support their efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...good man yourself. Were you the other lad in Galway too, on the Deauville ?

Yeah, need to get head down now and go for RoSPA next.

Have also got the piece of paper to go and get my C truck licence as well. Have been sitting on the fence way too long on that one.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...good man yourself. Were you the other lad in Galway too, on the Deauville ?

No, sorry, I did mine in Dublin on Saturday.

The RoSPA is well worth doing. I use what I learned as a pedestrian, on the bicycle and in the car. Couldn't put a value on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

nereid wrote: »
    I lapsed too easily into engine braking, which doesn't convey as much information to other road users as driving the brakes.
    That's something I do quite a lot. :o I use less brakes in the rain and more engine braking. And now that I think about it, I guess I use engine braking as a norm really, so that I don't have to use too much brakes at lights and roundabouts. I'm always wary of using too much braking over roads markings, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

I did the course about three years ago with the Traffic Corps in Dublin Castle. It's well worth doing. You should follow on with a RoSPA or similar course. I've done the Fingal County Council 'Star Rider' Silver and Gold courses and I would highly reccommend them to all bike riders. I hope to do the RoSPA course next spring.

Fazer 6.

Advertisement