Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplement shops in Limerick

• 05-09-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hows it going, just wondering if holland and barretts and the vitamen shop is the only supplement places in town? there used to be a place by the potato market but its closed down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

dave 27 wrote: »
    Hows it going, just wondering if holland and barretts and the vitamen shop is the only supplement places in town? there used to be a place by the potato market but its closed down.

There's a health food shop in Thomas St and one in the Crescent SC as well. The one in Thomas St is supposed to be quite good. I think the lady who runs it has actual qualifications in alternative medicine etc,as opposed to somewhere like Holland & Barrett where the staff don't have any actual training as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

im just looking for supplements for weight lifting etc, protein etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

used to get mine in parnell street but gone.
    think you can get some in boots, their own brand stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

there's a shop at the very top of thomas street beside alis barbershop that is a sports supplement shop and you will get whey protein etc in their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's a health food shop in Thomas St and one in the Crescent SC as well. The one in Thomas St is supposed to be quite good. I think the lady who runs it has actual qualifications in alternative medicine etc,as opposed to somewhere like Holland & Barrett where the staff don't have any actual training as such.

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

One of the guys who run this website HP Nutrition is based in Limerick. They supply most of the shops in limerick but i think the website is cheaper. They often do deals on there too. I use the reflex stuff myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

top of thomas st, discount on thursdays...

ya i ended up going in there in the end (the vitimen shop), its good but id like if there was more shops around!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Hey there just to clarify your point about H&B staff not having any actual training. The staff are trained rigorously and have to undergo exams to show how successful the training has been, in fact if they dont pass the first exam, they have one more chance to pass and if they fail their contract is not renewed. The training is ongoing, as new products come in all the time to stores, you cant just stand there and spout off any old crap to a customer, fair enough its a retail business and they want to make a profit, but please dont be under any illusion that the staff are not trained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

there's right by the door in arthurs key.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tommyhill2010

Hey,
    Starting doing boxcercise lately muscles very sore for days after should I take a protein drink after excercise from the health store if so what do you recomend. will it help? :confused:

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Hey there just to clarify your point about H&B staff not having any actual training. The staff are trained rigorously and have to undergo exams to show how successful the training has been, in fact if they dont pass the first exam, they have one more chance to pass and if they fail their contract is not renewed. The training is ongoing, as new products come in all the time to stores, you cant just stand there and spout off any old crap to a customer, fair enough its a retail business and they want to make a profit, but please dont be under any illusion that the staff are not trained.

Surely they can't be that rigorously trained if one of the female staff members there for a while didn't know what vitamin k was and one other female staff advised dried fruit (high in sugar) for someone with a candida overgrowth (feeds on sugar). I suspect, that with any other job they are given minimal training - enough to **** the joe soap that comes in off the street willing to throw away a shed load of money.

Hey,
    Starting doing boxcercise lately muscles very sore for days after should I take a protein drink after excercise from the health store if so what do you recomend. will it help? :confused:

Remember a supplement is exactly that - a supplement. Protein shake is just another food - a byproduct of milk. things like these shakes are not really needed until you have your diet in place and are engaging in rigorous training where it can help with recovery.

Muscles are sore as you are not used to that type exercise. It will help if you get in something within an hour of finishing - a good carb to protein ratio. So milk and banana might be good for example or chicken/fish with some veggies etc.

A pop over to the nutrition and diet forum may be helpfull for ya and give you ideas etc. No need to spend 30e plus on protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tommyhill2010

Thanks a million i will do that, I thought I was fit untill I started boxcercise.ouch! ouch! ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

what are the boxercise classes like? Many ?

I freelance teach classes (not boxercise) around some of the cities gyms and am aware of the following - there's a class 7-8 in UL thurs evening by a very good instructor called emma ryan. There's also boxercise in JJB. the best one there is prob thurs eve class at 7 too there by an instructor called christy storey, who, again is very good. I don't know of any others around the city as such but im sure a buzz around will get you details. I know of a class in some gyms out by Newport if you are near there. Iv never taken a class of it so i can't comment in it as a workout but its all relative to your own level of fitness. I know you don't have to have any experience boxing to do them so do not be put off by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

ULstudent wrote: »
    Remember a supplement is exactly that - a supplement. Protein shake is just another food - a byproduct of milk. things like these shakes are not really needed until you have your diet in place and are engaging in rigorous training where it can help with recovery.

Muscles are sore as you are not used to that type exercise. It will help if you get in something within an hour of finishing - a good carb to protein ratio. So milk and banana might be good for example or chicken/fish with some veggies etc.

A pop over to the nutrition and diet forum may be helpfull for ya and give you ideas etc. No need to spend 30e plus on protein.

I agree regarding diet being important but protein powder is pretty cheap as a protein source in comparison to milk/chicken.

I would order online rather than visit an overpriced shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

ULstudent wrote: »
    Surely they can't be that rigorously trained if one of the female staff members there for a while didn't know what vitamin k was and one other female staff advised dried fruit (high in sugar) for someone with a candida overgrowth (feeds on sugar). I suspect, that with any other job they are given minimal training - enough to **** the joe soap that comes in off the street willing to throw away a shed load of money.

Hi UL, i assure you that they are trained, over €3,000 is spent in the training of each individual staff member. I can only think that the staff you mention were in training as a qualified staff member would not be saying such things. Perhaps if your in store again you may mention to the manager what you overheard as i can assure you they would take your opinion very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 c.n.s

Hi guys.
    There is another shop in Limerick called Body Island, Melrose Court, Mungret Street (beside The Milk Market). They have really low prices and top brand like Gaspari, Dorian Yates, BSN etc.
    Guy selling there is really helpful.

im guessing u work there ya?! :D im very bad with streets, anyone want to upload a map so i can go check it out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 c.n.s

Unfortunately I don't. It could be nice experience.
    Just google Body Island Limerick and you'll find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Try Olympic Gold Gym in John St. Wide range of products and they have been selling them for last 15 or so years so they have plenty of knowledge on the subject. Talk to Roy, he is there every evening.

Advertisement