Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in New England

• 05-09-2010 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Travelling to North East US and possibly Toronto in late September. Does anyone have advice on any of the following...New York (Upstate, not the city), Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Niagra Falls (what tour to take and where to book them at the best price), Toronto.
    Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Jennnn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are even remotely interested in things cultural, social, historical you must visit the Shelbourne museum in Burlington VT It is a big area of parkland (big enough to need a bus circling the outer edge!) with separate buildings in lovely gardens showing more art, crafts, history, antiques and artifacts than you can imagine. We spent two half days there and only scratched the surface. http://shelburnemuseum.org/

Eat Ben and Jerry's icecream in the home of Ben and Jerry's, also in Burlington. http://www.benjerry.com/?ps=us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

In MA: Climb or drive to the top of Mount Greylock, very beautiful, you can see several states from the summit. The surrounding area is beautiful, lots of picture-book inns and hotels. I think I remember going to some old railroad tunnels near Florida (MA!!!) I think they're called the Hoosac Tunnels???

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jennnn

@looksee. I'm not very cultured but I do like nice scenery etc. The home of Ben and Jerry's sounds like a must though!
    @lollymcd. I googled Greylock mountain- the views look stunning! We wouldn't have time to climb it and I'm not very good with heights so would it be steep if we were to drive it? I like the idea of being able to see 5 states from the top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

jennnn wrote: »
    @looksee. I'm not very cultured but I do like nice scenery etc. The home of Ben and Jerry's sounds like a must though!
    @lollymcd. I googled Greylock mountain- the views look stunning! We wouldn't have time to climb it and I'm not very good with heights so would it be steep if we were to drive it? I like the idea of being able to see 5 states from the top!

It's not that steep at all, winding though! There are no steep cliffs/falls from my recollection and the area is covered in trees so you wouldn't really be able to tell anyway! We made the drive in a 20 year old Oldsmobile so I think any car you will be driving will be able to cope! When you get to the top there is a lookout point you can climb (or not!) and some trails you can follow if you have time. Very knowledgeable folks in the lodge at the summit, they know a lot about the area and serve ok food if I recollect correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

New Hampshire is fantastic.

White Mountains, Cog railway (was closed when i was there :mad:), scenery is amazing. Id recommend just renting a car and driving with no set itinerary. Possible to do Vermont & Maine too. I was there for a week and seen loads.

Enjoy (im not jealous)

• Advertisement
Advertisement