Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

toyota corolla or nissan almera.

Options
  • 05-09-2010 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

:)Hi there this is my first post, hope its in the right place,
    I am currently looking to buy a car, I have nailed it down to either a 03-04 nissam almera 1.5 or 1.4 Toyota Corolla from 02-03, I have read a lot of reviews for both cars and the more negatives are coming from the nissan as to regards for gearbox and headlamp melting etc, I just wanted to know what is your opinion on this and what is it you think is more reliable, im not after excitment or anything just normal driving, but as we know the corolla will be more pricy, just wanted to know which car would be more better and qualty
    thanks
    canonme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

im in the same boat as you. was dead set on getting a 05 almera but priced getting the gearbox fixed(€1000+) and timing chain(another fault) and couldnt take the risk. i would defo get the corolla or 04/05 new model astra. they're what im looking at atm anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Canonme

Thank you for the response i think you are dead right there, there are too many faults with the almera, its a nice looking car for sure but reliablity is a bit poor, im currently looking at corolla which is a bit more in my price range at around 3 to 4 k, where the newer astra is around 5 - 6 k, but undoubtably it is a great car as well,

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd definately go for the Corolla over the Almera. The Corolla is more reliable and a fresher design.

I'd also add the Honda Civic to the list, very reliable motor and they are good on fuel: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194463441

thanks for all the advice, id go for a honda but just the civics have a bit of a reputation, i know they are good cars though, im going on the hunt now for a corolla !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

Get a Ford Focus !:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Corolla is a very nice motor, i used to own the 1.6 version, The 1.4 corolla gives 95bhp and 0 to 60 in 11.5 secs if these things matter to you OP.

There appears to be 2 almera's on the 1.5 range, one is 88 BHP and the other 96, i'm not sure if one of those is an automatic though?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Canonme wrote: »
    thanks for all the advice, id go for a honda but just the civics have a bit of a reputation, i know they are good cars though, im going on the hunt now for a corolla !

It is mostly the Civic hatchback and coupe that have the reputation rather than the saloon.
    changes wrote: »
    Corolla is a very nice motor, i used to own the 1.6 version, The 1.4 corolla gives 95bhp and 0 to 60 in 11.5 secs if these things matter to you OP.

There appears to be 2 almera's on the 1.5 range, one is 88 BHP and the other 96, i'm not sure if one of those is an automatic though?

Almera automatic was a 1.8 litre only.

cheers everyone for the help, yeah i know about the civics, but im on the hunt now for a corolla , its not too easy to find one in a reasonable price like 3-4 almost 5 and + for 03 onwards, anyway hope ill scoop up something nice

Advertisement