Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny says his wages are "peanuts"

• 05-09-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭

Pat Kenny defends his salary saying that it's peanuts compared to soccer players.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/were-paid-peanuts-compared-to-soccer-stars-says-pat-kenny-2325322.html
    "There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out, and yet they are paid a trivial amount compared to footballers."

Remarkably arrogant interview. He should be grateful for such a large salary, that most people could only dream of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Pat really should keep his mouth shut, articles like this in the current economic environment makes people's blood boil. And he seems to be missing the core point that the taxpayers have to pay his wages whether they like him or not... We dont have to pay for John O'Shea, United do...

Though I would agree that Pat Kenny is worth a week than Berbatov.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pat Kenny defends his salary saying that it's peanuts compared to soccer players.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/were-paid-peanuts-compared-to-soccer-stars-says-pat-kenny-2325322.html

Remarkably arrogant interview. He should be grateful for such a large salary, that most people could only dream of.

is that the most irrelevant comparison of all time....what possible correlation could there possibly be between an Irish tv show presenters wages and that of an english premiership footballer....

by that logic he should be on the same salary as league of ireland.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He said that RTE had to "incentivise" its stars.

"I often wonder why there isn't the same fuss over the salaries paid to footballers like John O'Shea, earning more in three weeks than Marian Finucane earns in a year.

"There is a double standard there. These people put themselves on the line, they entertain the nation week in, week out, and yet they are paid a trivial amount compared to footballers."

I loved his rationale for high wages - making less than professional footballers. Pat baby, they work in a competitive market which operates on a much higher plain in terms of turnover, and they can move at the drop of a hat these days. The Irish broadcast media market is not remotely competitive. if it were salery levels would be much more volatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

John O'Shea doesn't bang on my door demanding a €160 contribution to his wages.

This comment and the analogy is very unlike Kenny, someone must be rattling cages in Montrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jimmyfixit

Why dosent Pat just leave at get a job in private industry?

What other station in this or any other country would pay him
    that kind of Money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

such an utterly facile & elitist comparison, the mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭carab

Kenny and the rest should never have been paid such high amounts. When contracts are due to be renewed, RTÉ should slash wages for these high earners. If they don't like it, they can go...they would soon find out that nobody else would hire them never mind pay them €500k+...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

the core point that the taxpayers have to pay his wages whether they like him or not... We dont have to pay for John O'Shea, United do...

One of the great Celtic Tiger myths was that we would have to pay huge salaries, or other countries would poach our "talent". If J'O'S wants a move, then there probably is some club that will match his wage demands.

The bankers and heads of industry perpetuated this idea - but how often was an Irish Banker/CEO/ Radio Star poached by a foreign entity for huge money?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mike65 wrote: »
    I loved his rationale for high wages - making less than professional footballers. Pat baby, they work in a competitive market which operates on a much higher plain in terms of turnover, and they can move at the drop of a hat these days. The Irish broadcast media market is not remotely competitive. if it were salery levels would be much more volatile.

not to mention, nearly to a one, theyre on the scrap heap by 34.

so in the long term kenny is probably being pain MORE than professional footballers.

theres something going on here lads.

i smell a showdown with management and i dont think pat and co are going to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It is more than a bit distasteful hearing someone who was earning 950,956 euro, whinging about their lot. I have yet to hear Kenny or Finucane even acknowledge the fact that over half RTEs budget comes from a compulsory tax. Pat you're gobsmackingly delusional - shut up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That's the most ridiculous justification I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Very unusual for Kenny to let the mask slip like that.

Most unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I never once listened to Kenny on the radio or watched the Late Late in my life because he's a sickening dose and definitely not my cuppa tea but I'm still expected to chip in my tv license fee to pay for his wages every week.....

on the other hand I choose to give money to help pay Fernando Torres or Steven Gerrard any time "I CHOOSE" to buy a Liverpool jersey or buy tickets to a game...

bit of a difference isn't there - really hope his wages get cut to say 50,000 which is a fair wage for a radio broadcaster imo and if he doesn't like it well hire me or some other presenter from some local radio station who'd jump at the opportunity to host a show on national radio for a very nice looking pay packet...

Don't see how RTE think they need Pat Kenny to keep people listening and how the listenership he brings in is worth 900,000 euro

Very unusual for Kenny to let the mask slip like that.

Most unusual.

Its not the first time. Last year he came out with this ....

"As you know from the publish figures about my income I'm probably supporting several public servants in their jobs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

STFU pat. we're all on peanuts compared to soccer players.

Rubik. wrote: »
    Its not the first time. Last year he came out with this ....

"As you know from the publish figures about my income I'm probably supporting several public servants in their jobs."

Hmmm didn't see that one.

Where does he think his income comes from.?

These geezers think that their salary should be commensurate with 'ad revenue' gained by their prog.

This is total bullshit.

Certainly popularity has some impact, but to say that ad revenue depends totally on the presenter is a load of ****.

Kenny is good, very good, but needs to rein himself in a bit,and understand that the people who pay his wages, know the difference between well heeled and overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Cripes ... I saw the heading on this thread & I thought it referred to Enda ... I nearly had a conniption :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Their next contract talks will be interesting. They all deserve a huge slash to their annual income.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hmmm... I can't remember the last time I heard of Pat Kenny putting himself on the line. He's a bloody radio/TV presenter not volunteering on a lifeboat rescuing people from the sea. That's putting yourself on the line.

The more one thinks about it the worse it looks. RTEs A Team - underpaid yet heroic in the face of enemy media spud-guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Pat has always believed he was worth it, it's just that now the tide has gone out and he's naked.

I believe that what we are seeing now is a media scramble for middle Ireland, Pat's dead. The Indo will go after RTE as it knows there's blood in the water and the battle for middle Ireland will between the the subsidised and unsubsidised media providers.

I hope he goes on strike and we can save a few bob.

I still don't know there hasn't been an active campaign to scrap the TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Their next contract talks will be interesting. They all deserve a huge slash to their annual income.

thats exactly what this is all about.

public preasure has already resulted in massive pay cuts for the big boys. the next round of contracts will see more of the same.

gas thing is its amazing how out of touch pat and co are. seriously for people who's business is media its surprising how easily they fall into the "im poor coz the guy up the road from me earns so much more ! " syndrome.

been intersesting to see people like mirriam have no problem with any cuts coming down the line.

has the ear closer to the ground that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kenny had made a very fundamental mistake. He forgot that he is in Ireland but made a comparison with footballers in the uk.

Someone should remind him that he should be comparing his wages with players in the eircom league instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Kenny scored an own goal with this interview (sticking with the football theme). Any attempt to justify such a huge salary at a time of high unemployment just seems foolish.

RTE are in debt at the moment, no doubt they'll be looking for an increase in the licence fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Kenny compares himself to footballers in England? Wow, out of touch completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Did Kenny make any reference to the interview this morning?

I've only been dipping in and out, not heard him mention his serf like existence. Not that I would expect him to or read out any correspondence on same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He deserves to the highest or one of the highest paid presenters in RTE

But this an own goal and shows an element of being out of touch and somewhat arrogant.

Keep the negotiating private Pat and work hard for your contract.
    Statements like this won't help at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

is that the most irrelevant comparison of all time....what possible correlation could there possibly be between an Irish tv show presenters wages and that of an english premiership footballer....

by that logic he should be on the same salary as league of ireland.........

Good point. Even aside from his moronic comparison that's an appalling thing to come out with. This kind of avarice is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Keebler

Not surprised by the latest arrogant outburst of one of RTE's precious set. These people (Kenny, Finnucan, Tubbridy, Duffy, Ryan when he was alive, and the pampered ones in the Sports dept) to name but a few live in their own world supported by the state and the rest of us citizens. They crow about how great they are and constantly promote each other for their collective gain. Just look at how often one of their own is interviewed as part on an RTE program or in the RTE guide. This in turn heightens their public profile, which in turn allows them to earn even more on personal appearances. They live in a wannabe celebrity land where their belief is that they are the main attraction. In the meantime the rest of us live out life in the real world.

RTEland is alive and well and populated by pompous self serving, self proclained superstars whose greatest ability is the ability to feather their own nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

In fairness to Pat, it does give some substance to the theory - pay peanuts and get monkeys.

Keebler wrote: »
    Not surprised by the latest arrogant outburst of one of RTE's precious set. These people (Kenny, Finnucan, Tubbridy, Duffy, Ryan when he was alive, and the pampered ones in the Sports dept) to name but a few live in their own world supported by the state and the rest of us citizens. They crow about how great they are and constantly promote each other for their collective gain. Just look at how often one of their own is interviewed as part on an RTE program or in the RTE guide. This in turn heightens their public profile, which in turn allows them to earn even more on personal appearances. They live in a wannabe celebrity land where their belief is that they are the main attraction. In the meantime the rest of us live out life in the real world.

RTEland is alive and well and populated by pompous self serving, self proclained superstars whose greatest ability is the ability to feather their own nest.

Very well said Sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

It's an extraordinary set of quotes from Mr. Kenny. I consider him to be the best at what he does in Radio One.
    It might have been more appropriate to compare his pay to those of secondary school teachers or 3rd level lecturers as he seems to be able to base his working year around the school/academic year.
    Nice work if ya can get it, no matter how he protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

When my grandfather's (RIP) mind was slipping a bit he used to defend the war in Iraq by saying that millions died in WW2. :confused:

You can't defend something by pointing to something worse.
    If you could, what else would make sense?

At least Sex and the City wasn't as bad as Sex and the City 2
    At least Nick Leeson didn't steal as much as Bernie Madoff.
    At least urine doesn't smell as bad as excrement.
    At least Hitler didn't kill as many as Mao.

(Sorry went OTT on that last one.)

At least my grandfather had the excuse of senility to justify his use of this ridiculous fallacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Just wondering here, after reading that article; does anybody know what kind of salary Gay Byrne was on when he was presenting the late late in the eighties and nineties?? Does Kenny say he earned more in real terms than everyone in RTE nowadays put together?
    Gay has probably made sure his past salary information never enters the public realm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gay has probably made sure his past salary information never enters the public realm :rolleyes:

He was asked about last monday and wouldn't say how much he was earning, but did say Kenny's claim, that in real terms he was earning more than anyone in RTE today, was "daft".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Just wondering here, after reading that article; does anybody know what kind of salary Gay Byrne was on when he was presenting the late late in the eighties and nineties?? Does Kenny say he earned more in real terms than everyone in RTE nowadays put together?

At least there was the actual prospect of an American/British channel poaching Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

goose2005 wrote: »
    At least there was the actual prospect of an American/British channel poaching Byrne.

True enough, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

At least Nick Leeson didn't steal as much as Bernie Madoff.
    Nick Leeson was never accused of or tried for or convicted for theft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

RTE don't really care. It's not their money that they're paying out. While I think it's a scandal that Plank is paid so much, and his arrogance is just stupifying, I think that RTE are under the illusion that a "Big Name" is indispensable. They will continue to kowtow to Plank and we will continue to have to pay his ridiculous salary. His position should be put out to tender.

• Advertisement

A suitably outraged response by Eamonn Sweeney to the Kenny interview - "Official Ireland at its worst". He even used Jimmycrackcorn's Eircom League analogy. Its a pity others in the media haven't followed suit.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/official-ireland-at-its-worst-2334658.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

If O'Shea was putting in performances in the Premiership like Kenny put in on the Late Late, he wouldn't be long in getting a salary cut - or a transfer to Kidderminster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Pat, they've slashed your wages by a third, that's an outrageous paycut for anyone to have to take. Why haven't you resigned?"

"Well, I , er..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Has anyone ever brought this up with Pat Kenny again? e.g. a journalist?

I can't believe these comments can just slip by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

donaghs wrote: »
    Has anyone ever brought this up with Pat Kenny again? e.g. a journalist?

I can't believe these comments can just slip by.

I agree with you.

Its clear that on Boards at least that there was a major flaw in the argument he presented; i.e. he is talking nonsense. Everyone seems to agree on that.

Two questions are:
    If everyone else can see what is wrong with what he said, then why can't Pat Kenny?
    Why does the media not pick him up on it?

(In response to the second, i guess there are bigger fish to fry in the national arena at present).

Why don't the media pick up on it?:eek:

FFS!!

It's a club, man, they are all in it together, all out to screw Joe Public for as much as possible.They share around the gigs and shill each others shows/books/schemes/et cetera

They circle the wagons and shill each others schemes ad infinitum.

It's all done in house, that's why all the same faces are there and no new blood.

Behind the scenes are certain Svengalis who pull the strings...Louis Walsh is a prime example.

The Irish public are basically idiots who shell out hard earned bucks to see clapped out acts at top dollar prices.
    Extrapolate that into local showbusiness and you will unearth a turgid morass of punters making large bucks out of the Irish public's immaturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Why don't the media pick up on it?:eek:

FFS!!

It's a club, man, they are all in it together, all out to screw Joe Public for as much as possible.

The Irish public are basically idiots who shell out hard earned bucks to see clapped out acts at top dollar prices

Its not a club.....newspapers compete with Television & Radio for advertising revenues. They should be more than happy to put the boot in.

As for Irish people being idiots, the TV Licence is a compulsory 'tax' if you want to own a television. Even if you never watch his show in your life, if you own a TV you have no choice but to pay money into RTE. No choice. Its obvious that the Irish public is quite unhappy about it.

RTE is a club though. You are quite right there. I'm surprised that RTE hasn't chosen 5 RTE personalities for its greatest Irish person ever contest. Dave Fanning could present on Pat Kenny. Pat Kenny could present on Gay Byrne, and so on. And in the end, Tubs would win, because they want to promote his show the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I can't speak for everyone but personally if axing Pat Kenny, Ryan Tubridy, Miriam....etc and replacing them with lower paid replacements meant more money was available for quality home produced T.V then I say Axe them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wellsir

i work for a semi-state (mostly funded by government now becasue of rubbish ff policies) and its hard to explain the attitude. There are plenty of good people in the sector. But even the good ones make crazy decisions becasue they can spend the money, they know deep down that the cash will never run out and if you are in a mangerial position you simply cannot be touched.
    they have no idea what it is to be working for a small company that is never quiet sure where the next bit of cash is going to come from.

And Pat is the same...if RTE cut his wages to what they should be (less than 100k) there is nowhere in Ireland not to mention the rest of the world that would hire him for more than that.
    Cosy RTE ring should be disbanded and privatised.

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Its not a club.....newspapers compete with Television & Radio for advertising revenues. They should be more than happy to put the boot in.

As for Irish people being idiots, the TV Licence is a compulsory 'tax' if you want to own a television. Even if you never watch his show in your life, if you own a TV you have no choice but to pay money into RTE. No choice. Its obvious that the Irish public is quite unhappy about it.

RTE is a club though. You are quite right there. I'm surprised that RTE hasn't chosen 5 RTE personalities for its greatest Irish person ever contest. Dave Fanning could present on Pat Kenny. Pat Kenny could present on Gay Byrne, and so on. And in the end, Tubs would win, because they want to promote his show the most.

Corporately of course you are right, however the personalities in newspapers love the audience that radio and tv provides.

I'm sure I don't need to list out the various heads who are on daily, the Brendan Keenans the Drennans the Waters et al who I'm sure are not doing it for nothing!

Bit like the Aer Lingus /British Airways 'competition' way back yonks when both were flying out of Dublin Airport

Total load of bollox, they were all in the same mode, maximise the yield and co-operate behind the scenes.

Duddnt fool this babe, for sure buddy.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement