Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny says his wages are "peanuts"

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

When Pat made the controversial comments about his wages, did he speak in a normal, matter-of-fact tone, or did he put on that fawning simper that he uses when addressing female musicians in the studio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

The Kenny business also acts as a decent smokescreen for those in middle and upper management positions in RTE.
    As I understand it, some of these boyos and girlies are pulling serious wedge not just in basic salary, but also in car allowances, a wonderful management pension scheme with far higher employer contributions than the rest of the staffers.
    Not to mention the performance related bonuses.
    I know this is a feature of other semi-states, but compared to the likes of the DAA, Bord Gais or the ESB, RTE is much smaller and probably not of 'systemic importance'.
    Unlike Kenny, they have the good sense to shut-up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

I'm away from Ireland at the minute so only just heard about this. I assume he didn't apologise or make any further comment on these ridiculous remarks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The Kenny business also acts as a decent smokescreen for those in middle and upper management positions in RTE.
    As I understand it, some of these boyos and girlies are pulling serious wedge not just in basic salary, but also in car allowances, a wonderful management pension scheme with far higher employer contributions than the rest of the staffers.
    Not to mention the performance related bonuses.
    I know this is a feature of other semi-states, but compared to the likes of the DAA, Bord Gais or the ESB, RTE is much smaller and probably not of 'systemic importance'.
    Unlike Kenny, they have the good sense to shut-up about it.

Good insight Mr. TIM.

These punters think the public don't know what is going on.

They look after each other with publicity and such,then take in the 'personal appearances' outside the job but based on their profile in the media, these goons are on serious shillins.

Now that's kind of ok, but don't treat the consumer as an idiot and pretend you are on the breadline.

Duddn't work lads.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Bill2673 wrote: »
    Its not a club.....newspapers compete with Television & Radio for advertising revenues. They should be more than happy to put the boot in.

I disagree, it very much is a club. Journalists regularly pop up on Today with Pat Kenny and Marian Finucane's Sunday show, giving them a handy appearance fee and a bit of exposure. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

I always thought Gerry Ryans daily newspaper review was, in part, to get them on his side. It was in effect a 1/2 hour of free advertising for them on a daily basis. Same could be said of Finucane on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

When Pat made the controversial comments about his wages, did he speak in a normal, matter-of-fact tone, or did he put on that fawning simper that he uses when addressing female musicians in the studio?

Ooooh very perceptive there horse.... I know that tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Does anyone know any stats for the "Frontline" viewing figures?

I presume it can't be as popular as his "Late Late" slot was. Another reason to pay him "peanuts"? ;)

As far I can see it would appeal to the same demographic as the previous "Questions & Answers" snoozefest did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I presume it can't be as popular as his "Late Late" slot was. Another reason to pay him "peanuts"?

I dont think we can compare the two... Tubridy is getting high ratings on the LLS for the same reason that Mary Wilson is hosting "the most popular drivetime show"... People listen in to their respective shows in spite of the presenter, not because of them...

To be honest, I wouldnt begrudge Pat being on a good wage... He's an excellent radio broadcaster, and the Frontline is a superb show.. They are all on too much money for what they do, but out of the top level wage earners, he is the best value for money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I dont think we can compare the two... Tubridy is getting high ratings on the LLS for the same reason that Mary Wilson is hosting "the most popular drivetime show"... People listen in to their respective shows in spite of the presenter, not because of them...

To be honest, I wouldnt begrudge Pat being on a good wage... He's an excellent radio broadcaster, and the Frontline is a superb show.. They are all on too much money for what they do, but out of the top level wage earners, he is the best value for money...

I don't think anyone would begrudge him a good wage but a couple of years ago he was paid almost 1 million euro. That was surely an exaggerated and unfair salary given the amount of weeks off a year he gets.

I would think no RTE presenter should get more than 250,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭wexfordia

Rubik. wrote: »
    A suitably outraged response by Eamonn Sweeney to the Kenny interview - "Official Ireland at its worst". He even used Jimmycrackcorn's Eircom League analogy. Its a pity others in the media haven't followed suit.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/official-ireland-at-its-worst-2334658.html

He hit the nail on the head when referring to the 'put themselves on the line' nonsense.

Advertisement