Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to fry eggs

Options
  • 05-09-2010 12:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

can never do it properly and this always turn in ****ty. cooker goes from 1-6 what should i be doing. its really annoying as i love frys and cant fry the egg part. i have seen videos on youtube but i want to know the best way when you want to fry say 3 eggs together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Don't fry straight from fridge. Let them get to room temp before you crack them.

I crack into a glass or cup first as you then have more control over the pour.

I'd have the temp at 2/3 and take your time. No rush.

Also unless your frying pan is big three in the one pan is a bit of a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i use egg molds, gives a perfect egg every time:
    http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Round-Egg-Rings-Set/dp/B000XKFR32/ref=pd_sim_k_11

mine is made from silicone, but you get the idea, stops the egg from breaking and runnin'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - The way you should cook them all depends on what way you like your eggs. Runny or hard yolk? Soft or crispy white?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

crispy white with hard yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Heat a medium-sized non-stick frying pan @ 5 until it's hot, 2-3 mins. Meanwhile, crack your eggs into a bowl (I use them straight from the fridge.) Add some oil, leave to heat until it begins to shimmer and just begin to smoke. Tip your eggs into the pan, and cover it with a lid.

The steam from the liquid in the whites will glaze the yolks and cook the tops. Leave for about 2-3 mins, then check on them. At that heat, the bottoms will be crisp, and from the lid the tops will be cooked, and the yolks hard. Place onto plate, season, enjoy with hot buttered toast.

• Advertisement

I like soft yolks, so I heat the pan, crack them into it, leave them a while and spoon some oil over the yolk to cook it more quickly on top without letting it get hard - couple mins and everything is done perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tip your eggs into the pan, and cover it with a lid.
    I do them a similar way, I fry them in a saucepan, this means I can use less oil as it is a narrow saucepan. I put a little water in them and put the lid on. This steams up and cooks them well, the height of the saucepan stop the oil spattering out the sides. I fry chicken this way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I use a non stick pan. Put about a thimble full of oil on a pan (put it at 5) and wait for it to get hot.
    Roll the oil around the pan. Crack the eggs on, one on each side. Don't let them touch. Grind a bit of pepper on and put some salt on. Turn the heat down to 3. Use your egg flipper utensil to fold bits of the white in. You know the bits that flow around the pan. After about 3 minutes, flip the egg. Leave it upside down on the pan for about 30 seconds. Put it on toast and eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like soft yolks, so I heat the pan, crack them into it, leave them a while and spoon some oil over the yolk to cook it more quickly on top without letting it get hard - couple mins and everything is done perfectly

That's how I cook mine. I tried all sorts of different methods, including the splash of water and lid method, but found this to be far the best way to get them the way I like them.

On the subject of storing eggs, does everybody store them in the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I store mine in a cupboard. My general rule for food storage is to store it as they do in the shops. They don't stock eggs in chillers, so I don't store mine at home in the fridge.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I store mine in a cupboard. My general rule for food storage is to store it as they do in the shops. They don't stock eggs in chillers, so I don't store mine at home in the fridge.
    Yeah that'd be my thinking too. Plus they never really sit around for longer then a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

As regards storing eggs, you don't have to refrigerate them but if you do store them in the fridge they will stay fresh for up 3/4 weeks after the due date on the pack! So there's a tip you may not have known. But if you eat as many eggs as I do then it won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I normally heat the oil on a low heat and then pour the egg in, this way you control how its to be cooked. If you want sunny side up, i normally spoon the hot oil on to the yoke,white. A little sprinkle of yellow aromat too.

Or you can flip the egg to cook it hard.

Mmm, i think i'll make some now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I never store eggs in the fridge, if you do your supposed to remove an hour prior to using.

Trick to know if your eggs are fresh, put egg in a bowl of water.
    If it stays at the bottom its fresh
    If it tilts then its still okay but not as fresh
    If it floats (never crack open !!!!) rotten egg :D

foodaholic wrote: »
    If it floats (never crack open !!!!) rotten egg :D
    It doesn't mean it's rotten, it just means it's less fresh.

The reason why it floats is because as an egg gets older air enters it through the shell and oxidisation occurs, blah. blah, blah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

BaZmO* if I come across any floaters I'll give them to you to open :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah, the perfect fried egg. There is nothing nicer IMV.

I get it right sometimes but not others.

Depends on whether the pan is too hot, too cool, the eggs are really fresh or so so.

Anyway, I just heat the oil up till really hot. Tip the egg in from the shell, no flaffing with cups etc. (just me ok), and spoon a bit of the hot oil on the yellow. Once I see a bit of white on the top out it comes. Usually works, but can have some duds, still eat em though!!

I much prefer poached eggs. They are delish. and sooooo easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I use an egg sized frying pan(it's v small) put in a small knob of butter, low heat. Let butter melt, crack in egg, wait til it's white, flip over with an oxo good grips flipper - it's about 1mm thick and great for flipping, I never break the egg.

http://www.oxo.com/p-595-flexible-turner-steel.aspx

Once flipped over I serve immediately - totally yummy and I only use 1/2 tsp of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I 'poach' my eggs in oil. I HATE crispy whites. UGH.
    So I heat the oil until it's hot, but not spitting. Egg should not splatter when cracked in. Then when white goes white, spoon over oil to cook the top. Keep yolk perfectly runny. Nyoms!

Advertisement